SVR Question

Would it be OK to rest/pause my back down set on 5’s week on my upper body lifts?

The way I’ve ran SVR is to do required reps only on 5’s week. Straight 5’s, up and down the ladder.

I was hitting rep max on 5’s week on my last set. Let me look at it again. Maybe I’m doing it wrong

If you do that, you are really missing the point of the program. It’s spelled out very clearly in the book.

OK, thanks for the reply. I’ll keep it as is.

To be fair to burgerbob, it does read 5+×85% and again 5+×65%.
It confused me as well. So no more than 5 reps per set in week 2.
/confusion

I think he meant don’t rest pause it. Just do the rep max on 65%

[quote]burgerbob wrote:
I think he meant don’t rest pause it. Just do the rep max on 65%[/quote]

If you mean only do 5-reps for each set of the SVR 5’s week, then that is correct. The book does say 5+ in the table but in the paragraph that Jim wrote on SVR he specifically says “the second week is done for 5 sets of 5 reps.” Ultimately you’re doing it so do it as you want, but if you want to do it correctly, then it’s 5x5 no rep PR’s.

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:

[quote]burgerbob wrote:
I think he meant don’t rest pause it. Just do the rep max on 65%[/quote]

If you mean only do 5-reps for each set of the SVR 5’s week, then that is correct. The book does say 5+ in the table but in the paragraph that Jim wrote on SVR he specifically says “the second week is done for 5 sets of 5 reps.” Ultimately you’re doing it so do it as you want, but if you want to do it correctly, then it’s 5x5 no rep PR’s. [/quote]

I guess I’ve been doing it wrong then. I looked at the table, but I suppose I read everything except that paragraph about just doing 5 sets of 5. That’s good to know though.

Actually, re-reading it, I do remember reading that paragraph and assuming 5x5 meant 5+ on 85% and 5+ on 65% as the table shows. I guess I didn’t even see that 5/3/1 week said 1+ at 95% because I had just been doing singles.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
If you do that, you are really missing the point of the program. It’s spelled out very clearly in the book. [/quote]

The SVR program actually is not spelled out very clearly in the book.

You’re joking right? Jim broke that shit down Barney style in “Beyond 5/3/1”

I think the spirit of 5/3/1 SVR is very clear, but some of the details may confusing because of what it says in the paragraph vs. the table below. I think it is important just to keep in mind the point of each week.

What I do is go for broke on the PR set on the 3’s week because that is the emphasis of the 3’s week. On the 5’s week I do two 5+ sets like Willem85 points out. I don’t go for broken on these. I often try to match my 3’s week PR with a lighter weight, then get my volume work in. After all volume is the point of that week. On the 5/3/1 week sometimes I just do a single for 1+ set other times I do a PR set but always cap it since the heavy singles on the emphasis of that week.

I could be wrong, but I do it this way since the PR set of one of the 5/3/1 principles. I have always had better success including PR sets in my training.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
We always try to push for PR’s! That’s one thing I have learned. [/quote]

Jim said this in a thread in reference to pushing the PR set with the BBB challenge. For context see:

[quote]knormxxx wrote:
You’re joking right? Jim broke that shit down Barney style in “Beyond 5/3/1”[/quote]

Ha ha. He probably should’ve gone Sesame Street style. I remember the first time I read it and then looked at the table I was kinda’ like, “huh?” But then I re-read the paragraph and just figured that the table used must be a standard table reference used for the book.

Oh yeah no doubt man I passed by it all together the first couple times I read it since it’s such a short section. I think it’s one of the best templates in the book now, the table is a little confusing though.