T Nation

SVR II

Hey Jim,

I loved the SVR template, and looking forward to starting SVR II. My question is, what number of reps do I want to hit when you mention "PR set". For example, Week One: 70%x5, 80%x5, 90%x PR set, 70%xPR set. I understand this would be considered the 3's week, so for my PR set would I want to hit at least 3 reps, at least 5 reps like the other working sets, or whatever the hell I can muster to break records?

Thanks!

Just decide how many would you like to hit, go and try your best. I’m always planning less reps than I actually could do just to have somethong in a tank.

As described in the book, use an estimator to work out how many reps you need to do at the weight to set a PR.

Estimatorrs aren’t perfect so sometimes they have you doing a 20lbs PR. That means don’t freak if you can’t always hit the required reps.

I will do as many reps as I can with one in the tank but I’ll record the PR as just above the previous record.

This allows me to take advantage of good days but doesn’t kill your next 4 weeks just because you had an awesome day.

I also think cycles where you do 5s pro are super important.

[quote]Aches89 wrote:
Hey Jim,

I loved the SVR template, and looking forward to starting SVR II. My question is, what number of reps do I want to hit when you mention “PR set”. For example, Week One: 70%x5, 80%x5, 90%x PR set, 70%xPR set. I understand this would be considered the 3’s week, so for my PR set would I want to hit at least 3 reps, at least 5 reps like the other working sets, or whatever the hell I can muster to break records?

Thanks![/quote]

You would do enough reps to set a PR. This is not terribly difficult. Either look at your training log or use the rep/max calculator as described in The Book.

I have never ran SVR so just had a look in “Beyond”.

There isn’t actually a template in terms of Days/Week etc just the rep sceme for the main lifts each week.

So am I correct in assuming you can run SVR/SVR2 for the main lifts in any of the 2/3/4 days/wk templates?

Also Jim states that he only applies SVR2 to 1x upper + 1 x lower lift per cycle. For the other main upper/lower lift do you run “normal” 531, 5s PRO, what?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.