SVR and Assistance

First off I would like to say thanks for an awesome training system. I have been following it now for a few years straight, having fun with challenges and different assistance templates while seeing great improvement in strength and hypertrophy.
My squat has gone up with about 80kgs in the last 2 years and I hope to hit about 200kg soon. My all-time goal was to hit a 250kg deadlift before my 30 birthday, I have 14 months left and I am at 240kgs. Now I want to get so close to 300kgs as possible.
I really enjoy heavy singles and a combination of high volume work. So I have been trying to combine 5/3/1 SVR with the off-season for mass assistance.

So a wave would look like this:

Day1:
Press 531 SVR supersetted with chin-ups (should I keep the dropset?)
Dumbbell shoulder press, 5 sets of 10 reps
Barbell curls, 5 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell rear raise/ lateral raise supersetted, 3 sets of 10 reps each

Day 2:
Deadlift, 5/3/1 SVR
Good morning, 4 sets of 10 reps
Bent over rows, 4 sets of 10 reps
GHD, 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Abdominal wheel, 4 sets of 12 reps

Day 3:
Bench press, 5/3/1 SVR supersetted with chin-ups (should I keep the dropset?)
Dumbbell bench press, 5 sets of 10 reps
Chest supported rows, 5 sets of 12 reps
Triceps push-downs, 100 reps
Face pulls, 100 reps

Day 4:
Squat, 5/3/1 SVR (should I keep the dropset?)
Leg press, 4 sets of 10 reps
GHD, 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Hanging leg raises, 4 sets of 10 reps

Is this in your opinion a viable regiment?
I donâ??t know if I am just overthinking it and majoring in the minors now, but I like the combination of rep records and heavy singles. Any input is appreciated :slight_smile:

[quote]Yellowrubberduck wrote:
First off I would like to say thanks for an awesome training system. I have been following it now for a few years straight, having fun with challenges and different assistance templates while seeing great improvement in strength and hypertrophy.
My squat has gone up with about 80kgs in the last 2 years and I hope to hit about 200kg soon. My all-time goal was to hit a 250kg deadlift before my 30 birthday, I have 14 months left and I am at 240kgs. Now I want to get so close to 300kgs as possible.
I really enjoy heavy singles and a combination of high volume work. So I have been trying to combine 5/3/1 SVR with the off-season for mass assistance.

So a wave would look like this:

Day1:
Press 531 SVR supersetted with chin-ups (should I keep the dropset?)
Dumbbell shoulder press, 5 sets of 10 reps
Barbell curls, 5 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell rear raise/ lateral raise supersetted, 3 sets of 10 reps each

Day 2:
Deadlift, 5/3/1 SVR
Good morning, 4 sets of 10 reps
Bent over rows, 4 sets of 10 reps
GHD, 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Abdominal wheel, 4 sets of 12 reps

Day 3:
Bench press, 5/3/1 SVR supersetted with chin-ups (should I keep the dropset?)
Dumbbell bench press, 5 sets of 10 reps
Chest supported rows, 5 sets of 12 reps
Triceps push-downs, 100 reps
Face pulls, 100 reps

Day 4:
Squat, 5/3/1 SVR (should I keep the dropset?)
Leg press, 4 sets of 10 reps
GHD, 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Hanging leg raises, 4 sets of 10 reps

Is this in your opinion a viable regiment?
I donâ??t know if I am just overthinking it and majoring in the minors now, but I like the combination of rep records and heavy singles. Any input is appreciated :slight_smile:

[/quote]

This is fine - I don’t really care too much about the assistance work because you get strong with the manipulation of the TM and how you approach your main lifts. Anything you do after that should NOT in anyway, screw up your own training or goals. So as long as you do this for 6 weeks and then move to another set up, you’ll be fine.

The key to training is to have principles that are locked in and then using your knowledge and experience to make small changes that keep you progressing. Assistance work is just a small piece of the puzzle. Too many people make too much about assistance work - squat, press, clean and pull. Add in some jumps, throws, lower back/ab work, light conditioning and you’ll be fine.

It just takes time and it takes the heart to keep moving through the tough times.

What does svr stand for?

[quote]mvolkmar wrote:
What does svr stand for?[/quote]

It’s a section in the latest book, but probably Singles Volume Reps.