T Nation

Suspended chain GM's vs. GM's off pins

What are the pros and cons of each variation. I would guess that the suspended GM's would allow the bar to swing a bit more and hence make it easier to position the bar for the lift.

Do you start from parallel or could you start from lower (train for chaos)?

Also i guess you would do these for singles and rack at the top, then reset by stripping it down, as you want to avoid the eccentric portion?

What are the pros and cons of each variation. I would guess that the suspended GM's would allow the bar to swing a bit more and hence make it easier to position the bar for the lift.

i think there preety much exactly the same if you have a safety squat bar..if you do not then i would be very carefull doing them in pins with a straight bar you could end up with some bloody fingers...the only real diffirence in the chains and pins with the ss-bar is its a little easier to get sit up under the chains...but there very very close movement...there also one of my favorite movements i remember when i first got a ss-bar i was squating in the middle-low 500's and i could do ss-bar suspended gm's with like 275 pounds..now i can do them with close to 500 and my squat is in the 700's..so they build the squating and dlifting muscles better than any max effort movement i do..i do them usually once to twice a month AND I ONLY DO THESE WITH THE SSBAR...

Do you start from parallel or could you start from lower (train for chaos)?

i do all mine from 36 inches off the ground because that the only chains i have..that usually hangs down to pin 15 on my rack..so i do them at parrelel to preety close to..when i come down into the chains usually my elbows hit my legs so that can show you were i sit them up at...istead of changing heigths we change stances we go with a close deadlift stance and a sumo stance alternating between the both..i am about 60 pounds better with a sumo stance....

Also i guess you would do these for singles and rack at the top, then reset by stripping it down, as you want to avoid the eccentric portion?

i do mine usually for triples it is very rare for me to do a single in this movement because the time under tension is so small i get nothing out of it...what i do is do a rep sit it in the chain wait 2-3 seconds to take away the stretch reflex do another rep wait 2-3 seconds do another one...this is how they show how to do them in the special strengths video...it is also a lot easier on the body and will give a break from max singles for a week...i will usually do 3 max sets of 3 reps....

hope this helps big martin

Thanks for the comprehensive info BigM

I can't get to an SS bar but I have along way to go with GM's yet so that's not a prob. When my shoulders start acting up I'll try and get one.

After seeing how your squat poundage improved as a result I'll def be doing alot more of them especially cos I'm so weak with GM's.

creed...chain suspended gm's with the straight bar will work good for you...big martin