Suspect Diabetes

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]olympiclifter42 wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

And now it’s 73 mg/dL . That seems low. It should be interesting to see what it’s at when I test it in the morning. It also said on one website that hypopglycemia (which also may be a possibility) can be caused by hypothyroid, and one indication of this is temperature in the morning, so I’ll also take that.

At the very least, any future doctor of mine is going to have a lot to work off of.[/quote]

Your readings are all physiologically normal on the blood glucose. You don’t have diabetes. It sounds to me like you have an essential fatty acid deficiency. You need to acidify your diet by increasing your EFA intake and also either eating some cultured food or take some probiotics. I would recommend 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil, a tablespoon of cod liver or fish oil daily, and either 2 cups of plain yogurt or a pint of kefir a day.
[/quote]

Really? Two tablespoons of coconut oil? Keep in mind that I’m not moving around very much right now. I did my “maintenance exercises” halfway through the night and that’s probably as much exercise as I’m going to do in one day before finals.

I’ll try it. I don’t think gaining a few lbs is really a big deal even if that is too much.

I’m going to have to try to find a way to make yogurt taste different if I’m going to eat it every day. As I said, I can’t eat any food for numerous days on end without eventually feeling disgusted by the thought of it.[/quote]

You believe that dietary fat will make you gain fat? Your comments lead me to believe that you have a very large knowledge deficit when it comes to human nutrition. The best thing that you can do for your long term health is to remedy that so that you not only know what a healthy diet is, but why it is healthy. Right now, from the sound of your perception of your diet, you are a very long way away from understanding. We can recommend some books to get you started if you choose to educate yourself, just let us know. But the long and short of it is:

Eat the oils I recommended

You won’t get fat and will probably actually lose weight

Eat the lactic acid fermented foods I recommended for a week or two until the fats have had a chance to integrate into your system and restore your pH.

Ultimately, it is your health and your responsibility, sometimes doing what you need to do and what you want to do are not mutually exclusive. Its your choice.
[/quote]

I thought I made it clear in my post that my problem with the two tablespoons wasn’t that it was made of fat, but that a tablespoon of oil is a lot of calories, and, as I’m not moving around much and have a base metabolism right now of around 1700 calories, that may end up pushing me over the daily amount of calories my body needs to maintain. As I mentioned, I’m a small female. 3 tablespoons of the oils you mentioned= 21% of my maintenance calories, or 357/1700calories. If I was to divide my remaining calories into three meals, that would equal 450 calories per meal. I don’t know about you, but it’s really hard for me to only eat that many calories per meal. At some point I’d probably eat more because it wasn’t filling, and end up gaining weight because I’d be over my maintenance amount. I completely agree that coconut and fish oil are probably what I need, but I’m hesitant about 3 tablespoons total of oils at a time when I barely move from my computer.

[quote]Tarrom wrote:
Yea, no way you have diabetes. Keep in mind that glucometers are only required to have error less than 20% so its far from perfect. Dont unnecessarily freak yourself out.
Listen to MODOK.[/quote]

Yeah I’m really glad I got the home test instead of paying for a doctor. My blood glucose has been consistently around 80-90 all day, except after I eat. What a waste of money it would have been to get the doctor’s signature on that test.

So very interesting. I know i am not close to diabetic but i figured i would read the thread to learn and what do you know here is MODOK spilling some knowledge about good fats.

Good info.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

And now it’s 73 mg/dL . That seems low. It should be interesting to see what it’s at when I test it in the morning. It also said on one website that hypopglycemia (which also may be a possibility) can be caused by hypothyroid, and one indication of this is temperature in the morning, so I’ll also take that.

At the very least, any future doctor of mine is going to have a lot to work off of.[/quote]

Your readings are all physiologically normal on the blood glucose. You don’t have diabetes. It sounds to me like you have an essential fatty acid deficiency. You need to acidify your diet by increasing your EFA intake and also either eating some cultured food or take some probiotics. I would recommend 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil, a tablespoon of cod liver or fish oil daily, and either 2 cups of plain yogurt or a pint of kefir a day.
[/quote]

Really? Two tablespoons of coconut oil? Keep in mind that I’m not moving around very much right now. I did my “maintenance exercises” halfway through the night and that’s probably as much exercise as I’m going to do in one day before finals.

I’ll try it. I don’t think gaining a few lbs is really a big deal even if that is too much.

I’m going to have to try to find a way to make yogurt taste different if I’m going to eat it every day. As I said, I can’t eat any food for numerous days on end without eventually feeling disgusted by the thought of it.[/quote]

You believe that dietary fat will make you gain fat? Your comments lead me to believe that you have a very large knowledge deficit when it comes to human nutrition. The best thing that you can do for your long term health is to remedy that so that you not only know what a healthy diet is, but why it is healthy. Right now, from the sound of your perception of your diet, you are a very long way away from understanding. We can recommend some books to get you started if you choose to educate yourself, just let us know. But the long and short of it is:

Eat the oils I recommended

You won’t get fat and will probably actually lose weight

Eat the lactic acid fermented foods I recommended for a week or two until the fats have had a chance to integrate into your system and restore your pH.

Ultimately, it is your health and your responsibility, sometimes doing what you need to do and what you want to do are not mutually exclusive. Its your choice.
[/quote]

I thought I made it clear in my post that my problem with the two tablespoons wasn’t that it was made of fat, but that a tablespoon of oil is a lot of calories, and, as I’m not moving around much and have a base metabolism right now of around 1700 calories, that may end up pushing me over the daily amount of calories my body needs to maintain. As I mentioned, I’m a small female. 3 tablespoons of the oils you mentioned= 21% of my maintenance calories, or 357/1700calories. If I was to divide my remaining calories into three meals, that would equal 450 calories per meal. I don’t know about you, but it’s really hard for me to only eat that many calories per meal. At some point I’d probably eat more because it wasn’t filling, and end up gaining weight because I’d be over my maintenance amount. I completely agree that coconut and fish oil are probably what I need, but I’m hesitant about 3 tablespoons total of oils at a time when I barely move from my computer.[/quote]

Like I said, you have a lot to learn about nutrition. Eat the fats in addition to your normal diet. Your body needs needs the fats for STRUCTURAL components, not to be burned as energy in beta oxidation. They won’t be stored as body fat. You are sick because you have denied your body these essential substances for a very long time because you are afraid of the energy component of fat. Lauric acid in the coconut oil is used by your body to produce monolaurin- one of your body’s natural anti-microbial agent.
[/quote]

I still don’t know where you’re getting that I’m scared of fats and shun them from my diet. I already mentioned that I eat chicken just about every night (regular chicken, not the non-fat chicken breasts), which contains ~18 grams of fat per serving, regular eggs for breakfast (4 eggs=24g of fat), and cheese. I also eat olive oil on salads and have gone through spurts of taking about 5 fish oil pills a day.

What I’m not seeing is how, if you eat more calories than your body requires to maintain itself, you wont end up gaining weight. Now, it’s possible that you wont gain weight from the oils- your body might use those preferentially, but then the other food that you’ve eaten becomes excess.

I’m saying that even if you eat all healthy, needed calories, if you eat over a certain amount, you will gain weight.

Why not just try following the advice from a genuine individual who is trying to help you?

IF you get fat, take some calories away from you diet.

Your asking for advice, you have received good advice - now how about showing some faith and trying something out? It’s better than doing nothing?

[quote]plateau wrote:
Why not just try following the advice from a genuine individual who is trying to help you?

IF you get fat, take some calories away from you diet.

Your asking for advice, you have received good advice - now how about showing some faith and trying something out? It’s better than doing nothing?[/quote]

I already said I would:

On a side note, “experimenting” with the blood test kit after figuring out that I probably don’t have it has been enlightening. I’ve read on here that protein goes a long way toward evening out insulin spikes, but that’s not the same as seeing it written in blood repeatedly over the course of a few days. Just drinking a protein shake can even out insulin for hours afterward. It’s crazy.