Sushi

What do you guys think of sushi as a p/wo meal? I know it violates the Berardi guidelines, but its loaded with protein and simple carbs which is ideal. Besides I need the fat it contains anyway.

I’m also curious as to what people think of sushi in general (nutrition-wise, not whether or not it should be classified as ‘bait’).

I always thought that Sushi was relatively fat free. Lean fish/shellfish and rice… where’s the fat?

I think certain fish (tuna, salmon, etc.) have a relatively high fat content, but I could be wrong if they use low-fat cuts in the sushi.

I would mention the mayonaise (spicy tuna rolls), cream cheese (Philly rolls), avocado (California rolls, Rainbow rolls) and tempura (Spider rolls) that are thrown in to a lot of the “designer rolls”, but I’m sure everyone already knew about those.

I’ve had fried sushi at an all you can eat sushi joint… mmmmmmmm… soooooo goood. That had fat :slight_smile:

I added it up after I was done, I ate about $85 in sushi for $18. The owners had to kick us out cause they were closing or I would have eaten more.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
I think certain fish (tuna, salmon, etc.) have a relatively high fat content, but I could be wrong if they use low-fat cuts in the sushi.

I would mention the mayonaise (spicy tuna rolls), cream cheese (Philly rolls), avocado (California rolls, Rainbow rolls) and tempura (Spider rolls) that are thrown in to a lot of the “designer rolls”, but I’m sure everyone already knew about those.[/quote]

damn mayo in spiced ahi? i usually make mine with hot chili oil and some wasabi. hmmm…are designer rolls the kind of sushi that is charged expensive in the american continent? make your own people, make your own

Sushi, is a great p/work-out meal. If you can afford it. Just stick with tuna, salmon yea they do have a high fat contant but they have Omega 3 fatty acid that you need also during a work-out.

Some fish are pretty low in fat, especially the slightly blander tasting ones. Like those white/transparent fishes like red snapper. Lobster and octopus and some other ones are also low fat. But seriously, if you think amino acid / high quality whey supplements are expensive, man, wait till you try to get your protein requirements from sushi. I wish I were that rich. And I’m not sure about the protein ratings for fish.

The fat content in the fis should lower the total GI of the meal, thus reducing the insulin spike from the meal. I think the natural iodine that you get from the fish and the kelp are a bonus too. Dig in brother!

I like to eat my fill of sushi about once a week (at least). Have to say that I absolutely love it with lots of Wasabi.
Fat content of sushi varies depending on the sushi you are ordering. It can come from the fish itself (if an oily fish like salmon), the prep of the fish inside the roll(example: shrimp temorah is fried) or the other ingredients in the roll (avacado, mayo, etc.)
If the carbs and added fat ingredients are a concern, (and if you’re wallet is fat enough) ditch the rolls and opt for Sashami filets.
I don’t really think a sushi dinner is all that detrimental, really. (Unless you have your fill of soy laden Miso soup with your dinner. Or drink too many 22 oz Asahi beers!!!)

Lucky for me I live in Japan and sushi is fairly cheap to buy here. I usually eat salmon and maguro (tuna) and sometimes cuttlefish or octopus if Im feeling a little risque.

One thing I found out though that cod/pollack and mackerel are prone to have threadworms more than any other types of sushi so either avoid those, eat them cooked or make sure you are going to a good clean restaurant where the cook knows how to prepare the fish properly.

I frequently eat sushi when I am bulking during the winter. I find it to be a great meal after my post workout meal. It is pretty close to a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein that I like to achieve in such a meal and for the most part it is not very fatty. However, there are good amounts of omega-3 fats in the salmon and tuna but the nature of those fats are not to really be stored so I don’t bother thinking about the fat content. For me, sushi adds great variation and wonderful nutrition. I know one thing… after my contest this weekend… I will be cleaning out some sushi bar for sure… they’ll be going out of business when I am done.

Alex