Survival

[quote]Irish Daza wrote:
Daft as a bag of Badgers, but this is the Backpack guy (not Ultralight but careful with weight but allowing for some luxuries). Avoid his “Entertainment” videos and you’ll find a lot of useful stuff.

Survivalwise Dave Canterbury is good despite the Dual Survival controversy. Americans tend to argue between Les Stroud and Bear Grylls, but for my money Ray Mears is the man. Only one they could leave out in the bush for a month and he’d come back fatter!

[/quote]

Haha Ray Mears is the man! Couldn’t agree more.

For a near perfect fire starter, cover cotton balls with Vaseline. Virtually nothing will keep them from lighting. Just make sure the ziploc you keep them in doesn’t come open in your pack.

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
AK47 5000rds of 7.62x39[/quote]

That probably weighs about 35-40 lbs per 1000rds, plus packaging. So you are looking at 200 lbs of ammo. OK if you have a safe base camp, I suppose.

Moreover, 7.62 x 39 is an intermediate round. Probably OK to shoot a deer if you are good and relatively close, but it’s not a true rifle round like a .308

A better choice would be .22LR. A brick of 1,000 rounds comes in at 3 lbs.

And yes, you can shoot and kill a deer (albeit illegally) with a .22LR. Indeed, I’ve heard poor kids from a reservation in New Mexico would pop does in the Ruidoso city limits with sub-sonic .22 rounds and suppressors made from VW bug oil cans. Then they’d feed their family. Allegedly.

If you want to shoot something bigger, skip up to the .308 for marginally increased weight over the 7.62 and real rifle power.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Dave Cantebury(sp?) has some good videos talking about survival. They are pretty easy to watch and before you know it you have watched 4 or 5 of them.

I just got the Kabar Becker BK2 knife and if you don’t have a good, go to bushcraft/backpacking knife it is a great knife. The sheath belt attachment isn’t the greatest, but it is real easy to use the bottom portion of the sheath and modify it.

[/quote]

I will have to look into Dave Canterbury. Thank you for a name. I like the Kabar you listed but I’m still researching packing knifes. Not completely sure if I want to go fixed blade or a reputable folder yet. [/quote]

I’ve done quite a bit of backpacking, and I can tell you that a fixed blade of any sort is a waste of space.

A good folder is all you need. You ain’t killing grizzlies out there.

I carry a Buck 55 and sometimes throw a Leatherman mini in my pack. Most of the time the Buck is more than enough, but it’s nice to have scissors and a backup blade without adding shit tons of weight.

If you’re really concerned about weight, even the 55 is a bit heavy because it’s old-school brass and wood. Pick up the Buck Vantage. Great knife, synthetic handle, light, and takes all sorts of abuse.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3650

I don’t know how much backpacking you’ve actually done, but you’re going to be real concerned with how much your pack is weighing. Any little bit you can shave off is a victory, because that pack can get real heavy real quick.

For a three-day trip up Mount Marcy in the Adirondacks last year, i think I weighed in at about 30 lbs. Rarely do I go over that, even if I’m camping in the winter in the Catskills.

Also, my pack is an Osprey and it’s about the most comfortable fucking thing I’ve ever had latched onto my back. It’s INCREDIBLE. [/quote]

FightinIrish, what model Osprey pack is it?
I live on the border of the Catskills (just outside of Woodstock) and do mostly day hikes but will be doing some overnighters this year. Need a good pack. Thanks.
Sorry for the hijack.

My experience is limited to day trips and hunting, but for a fixed blade knife you can’t beat Bark River Knife and Tool. My primary hunting knife is a Bravo 2. It was sharp enough to shave with out of the box, and after field dressing 2 deer and hacking down beaucoup brush it is still sharp enough to shave with, and I have never stropped it. If you want one, take your time and do a thorough net search because some sites will rape you on the price.

Big thread from just a few months ago about prepping/survivalist planning:

Not for nothing here but I don’t get the survival thing. I cant even stand camping and I have a travel trailer. Why the hell do I want to leave a new home that I built for my family to go sit in 8’x 24’ box? How about this one; you’re camping with the wife and kids, what do you have to do at night when your camping? Yup, start a fire. It’s 90 degrees, 90 percent humidity in the dead of August and I’m building a fire so we can roast smores!

I’ve worked to damn long and hard to be uncomfortable. Look, if it comes down to survival, I’m the guy you want to be with. I will die quickly and you can make a sandwich out of me.

[quote]poophead wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Dave Cantebury(sp?) has some good videos talking about survival. They are pretty easy to watch and before you know it you have watched 4 or 5 of them.

I just got the Kabar Becker BK2 knife and if you don’t have a good, go to bushcraft/backpacking knife it is a great knife. The sheath belt attachment isn’t the greatest, but it is real easy to use the bottom portion of the sheath and modify it.

[/quote]

I will have to look into Dave Canterbury. Thank you for a name. I like the Kabar you listed but I’m still researching packing knifes. Not completely sure if I want to go fixed blade or a reputable folder yet. [/quote]

I’ve done quite a bit of backpacking, and I can tell you that a fixed blade of any sort is a waste of space.

A good folder is all you need. You ain’t killing grizzlies out there.

I carry a Buck 55 and sometimes throw a Leatherman mini in my pack. Most of the time the Buck is more than enough, but it’s nice to have scissors and a backup blade without adding shit tons of weight.

If you’re really concerned about weight, even the 55 is a bit heavy because it’s old-school brass and wood. Pick up the Buck Vantage. Great knife, synthetic handle, light, and takes all sorts of abuse.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3650

I don’t know how much backpacking you’ve actually done, but you’re going to be real concerned with how much your pack is weighing. Any little bit you can shave off is a victory, because that pack can get real heavy real quick.

For a three-day trip up Mount Marcy in the Adirondacks last year, i think I weighed in at about 30 lbs. Rarely do I go over that, even if I’m camping in the winter in the Catskills.

Also, my pack is an Osprey and it’s about the most comfortable fucking thing I’ve ever had latched onto my back. It’s INCREDIBLE. [/quote]

I live on the border of the Catskills (just outside of Woodstock) and do mostly day hikes but will be doing some overnighters this year. Need a good pack. Thanks.
Sorry for the hijack.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t consider this a hijack at all. This is exactly the kind of information I’m looking for, people’s personal experiences/preferences.

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:
Not for nothing here but I don’t get the survival thing. I cant even stand camping and I have a travel trailer. Why the hell do I want to leave a new home that I built for my family to go sit in 8’x 24’ box? How about this one; you’re camping with the wife and kids, what do you have to do at night when your camping? Yup, start a fire. It’s 90 degrees, 90 percent humidity in the dead of August and I’m building a fire so we can roast smores!

I’ve worked to damn long and hard to be uncomfortable. Look, if it comes down to survival, I’m the guy you want to be with. I will die quickly and you can make a sandwich out of me.
[/quote]

With that mindset, why do anything? Why read a book when you can watch the movie? Lifting weights isn’t comfortable either but I suspect that you lift. I guess for me it’s a good excuse to get outside and another challenge.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[/quote]

With that mindset, why do anything? Why read a book when you can watch the movie? Lifting weights isn’t comfortable either but I suspect that you lift. I guess for me it’s a good excuse to get outside and another challenge.
[/quote]
It was a bit tongue in cheek. Trust me, I do not do many different things, but what I do, I do well. As for being outside, I’m with ya Bro. I really don’t know anyone who spends more time in the woods and on a lake then I do. And yes, it can be cold but good gear helps.

[quote]poophead wrote:
Sorry for the hijack.
[/quote]

Hey man - I’ve got the Kestrel 58, which is an incredible pack that they have since discontinued. Or, they discontinued that size, at least… I think the 38 and 48 are still available, but they would be too little, even though I’m really good about packing (the guys I learned from are not ultralighters, but they’re close to it.)

But then I do a lot of winter camping, and that requires more space, so if you’re going to do an overnight trip in the summer, the 48 might be enough. Especially if you’re leaving the tent behind.

I did try on a couple of their other packs when I was looking around, namely the Atmos and Aether lines. One had VERY big sizes - smallest was like 65L and went up to 85 - and the other was more reasonable. Both were incredible comfortable as I recollect…that air suspension shit is flawless to me.

Many people speak highly of Gregory, but I never liked them because the lower back portion really pushes into your back and it’s very intrusive… kind of like shoes, how some have no arch in them and others have huge ones. My buddy loves his though, so go figure.

If there’s an REI around where you are, go there and try on a bunch of them. They have sandbag things that they’ll throw in them to simulate weight too, so you get a sense of how they feel with 20 or 30 lbs. in them.

[/quote]

Actually, I agree. Camping just to camp is boring. Camping + Hunting and or Fishing is freaking awesome! Gives one a purpose, a mission. It’s even better if you’re so far out you don’t see anyone who isn’t a part of your group.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

[/quote]

Actually, I agree. Camping just to camp is boring. Camping + Hunting and or Fishing is freaking awesome! Gives one a purpose, a mission. It’s even better if you’re so far out you don’t see anyone who isn’t a part of your group.[/quote]

Yep. Camping, hiking, and canoeing are means to an end.

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[/quote]

Actually, I agree. Camping just to camp is boring. Camping + Hunting and or Fishing is freaking awesome! Gives one a purpose, a mission. It’s even better if you’re so far out you don’t see anyone who isn’t a part of your group.[/quote]

Yep. Camping, hiking, and canoeing are means to an end.
[/quote]

Yeah, the end being a good time outdoors.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[/quote]

I got the bk2 awhile ago, and read that the stock sheath was shitty, googled around and found this
http://www.sagewoodgear.com/BK2_Scout_Sheath_p/bk2s.htm

My best friend and my big brother liked it so much they had me order them the same set-up

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[/quote]

I got the bk2 awhile ago, and read that the stock sheath was shitty, googled around and found this
http://www.sagewoodgear.com/BK2_Scout_Sheath_p/bk2s.htm

My best friend and my big brother liked it so much they had me order them the same set-up[/quote]

That’s a nice sheath. I the portion that holds the knife works great for me I just didn’t like the nylon part. So, I took out the rivets that hold it to the plastic and got some leather and molded it and attached it to the plastic portion and died the leather black first. I like the look of it, leather with the plastic. So I am happy with it. But, like I said that’s a nice one you linked.

Hedgehog makes a high quality leather sheath like the one you posted as well

[/quote]

I think it also depends on where you grew up/live. I am from Los Angeles born and raised, spend most of my time downtown. So, to me getting out there with friends,lighting a fire and sleeping outside is a great escape.

[/quote]

No,
Camping is in tents.

Get it? In tents sounds like intense

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[/quote]

I think it also depends on where you grew up/live. I am from Los Angeles born and raised, spend most of my time downtown. So, to me getting out there with friends,lighting a fire and sleeping outside is a great escape.
[/quote]

I’m from a small town, and for most people I know camping means driving to a camp ground in an RV that has all of the comforts of home including TV and AC. They might actually build a fire, using firewood they bought and copious amounts of lighter fluid, so they can roast hot dogs and smores. To me this is just lame, but to each his own.

My idea of camping is either hiking or canoeing into a remote location and living off what you can carry on your back or in your canoe. As I cannot find many like minded individuals I haven’t been camping in a few years. I’d rather not go than spend my time watching TV and sleeping in a slightly less comfortable bed and calling it “camping.”

5.11 makes really good backpacks. With the web design it’s really easy to customize them for your needs.