Survey of Doctors; They Don't Know Sh*t

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
When did I say I am an authority on medical matters?
I book strippers.
[/quote]

[quote]“With that said, it’s still better to listen to a doctor than you.”

No its not, thank you for your input.” [/quote]

Um…right here? Anyway, I do agree with you about the false info on saturated fats and correlating blood cholesterol - but my point is don’t denigrate the entire profession because of that.

Anyway, let’s be friends. I’d think a great peace offering would be you inboxing me pictures of strippers. Ok? ; )

taubes seems to have looked at more clinical studies than anyone
he says look at HDL and triglycerides, not overall cholesterol which is the hot marketing term
let me go enjoy my berries pre workout
thank you
lol

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
a few bad apples? dud over 90% got the 2nd question wrong
9 out of 10.
[/quote]

Ok Jeff Foxworthy. I agree with you 100%. I remember one time i was watching “are you smarter than a fifth grader” and i got one of the questions wrong. At this point i was convinced that i must be dumber than a 5th grader. So i did what any college student would do at the time. I went to a local middle school to attain a tutor. The dumb asses didn’t even know about the calvin cycle.

The survey was done on cardiologist and internist so stop making it seem like 90% of all doctors got the question wrong.

You’re assuming because someone is a “doctor” they know everything about the body. Obviously they know enough to become a cardiologist. You want nutrition advice go to a freaking nutritionist. You want a boob job go to a plastic surgeon.

Why are these two questions the benchmark on a doctors intelligence? If i ever need to have open heart surgery i will make sure i find out if the cardiologist knows about canola oil. Who cares about credentials and the hundreds of successful surgeries that have been conducted. If the cardiologist doesn’t know about canola oil i’m hauling ass.

The problem with that study is that the question it’s attempting to answer is somewhat pointless… It’s like sending out a survey to a bunch of cardiologists and asking them about a new drug that just came out for Autism… Yeah sure, they “work on” people everyday but that specific information isn’t their specialty. Sure, it’d be nice if they knew it but it’s just not information specific to their job. You have to go to someone who specializes in that particular field to get good info… even if the fields somewhat overlap.

And as a pharmacy student I can tell you the amount of information that someone learns in professional school (especially med) is enormous and you better think twice before dissin a profession because most of them aren’t up on the latest science in an adjacent field. I’d much rather my cardiologist know how to give me a CABG than teach me about olive oil. And of course, like any other other field there are idiots that make it thru, but my experience with Dr’s as a professional is that most of them are quite intelligent… lots of them are assholes… but they’re intelligent assholes. And like someone else said… most of them (MD’s) won’t bother to tell you they don’t know something (probably partly because of studies like the one the OP referenced)… so they just tell you what they think they remember as correct.

So to summarize… go to a cardiologist for a heart attack and a mechanic to fix your radiator and get pissed cuz your Dr can’t do both.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
9 out of 10.
[/quote]

Ok Jeff Foxworthy. I agree with you 100%. I remember one time i was watching “are you smarter than a fifth grader” and i got one of the questions wrong. At this point i was convinced that i must be dumber than a 5th grader. So i did what any college student would do at the time. I went to a local middle school to attain a tutor. The dumb asses didn’t even know about the calvin cycle.

The survey was done on cardiologist and internist so stop making it seem like 90% of all doctors got the question wrong.

You’re assuming because someone is a “doctor” they know everything about the body. Obviously they know enough to become a cardiologist. You want nutrition advice go to a freaking nutritionist. You want a boob job go to a plastic surgeon.

Why are these two questions the benchmark on a doctors intelligence? If i ever need to have open heart surgery i will make sure i find out if the cardiologist knows about canola oil. Who cares about credentials and the hundreds of successful surgeries that have been conducted. If the cardiologist doesn’t know about canola oil i’m hauling ass.
[/quote]

where does it say don’t let them cut you?
Inadequate physician knowledge of the effects of diet on blood lipids and lipoprotein
the point is maybe they don’t have the best advice, and maybe dont know WHY the patients need surgery.

and to stir you ladies up more
F*CK DOCTORS
ha, there, keep the thread going, i have to LIFT

oh boy, i guess i didn’t notice the date

Copyright © 2003 Flynn et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article: verbatim copying and redistribution of this article are permitted in all media for any purpose, provided this notice is preserved along with the article’s original URL.

hahhahahahahha
now everyone, shut up and LIFT

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
F*CK DOCTORS
[/quote]

So I guess that means no strippers for me? : (

As a Family Physician I do a lot of diet counseling, and it is true that most of what I know about this I learned from reading on my own (even T-Nation!), not from medical school. I am surprised by some of the findings in the survey, since I thought that some of the questions, such as olive oil and canola oil being high in monounsaturated fats, should be common knowledge. The problem I have with diet recommendations in general is that there is still so much controversy as to what really is the best diet. We can put Taubes and Dean Ornish in a cage and let them fight it out, but I would hope that with all the money spent on obesity research, weight loss, dieting, etc. that by now we would have really good information as to what the hell actually works. Instead we have half of every bookstore full of contradictory diet books, which confuses everyone, including physicians. The other problem, of course. with diet and exercise counseling is that I can spend a lot of time on it, but very few patients will actually go out and do it! It takes a lot of patience to deal with these clowns month after month.

1.Take your car in for an oil change and ask the mechanic about the obscure and particular properties of the metals used in the manufacture of the engine block.

1. When he can’t answer announce to the world that he doesn’t know shit and shouldn’t be trusted.

4.Profit!

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
F*CK DOCTORS
[/quote]

So I guess that means no strippers for me? : ([/quote]

i only have the tama twins for NY lol

Doctors don’t know everything? I am disappoint.

There is NOTHING as important as canola oil.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
1.Take your car in for an oil change and ask the mechanic about the obscure and particular properties of the metals used in the manufacture of the engine block.

1. When he can’t answer announce to the world that he doesn’t know shit and shouldn’t be trusted.

4.Profit!
[/quote]

Duuuuuude that was a perfect analogy. haha spot on.

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
9 out of 10.
[/quote]

nutrition =/= medicine, medicine =/= nutrition

Honestly, doctors have enough to care about already. Food could well be the patients’ duty.

And those questions were somewhat irrelevant and counter-intuitive anyway.

Hey doc, I got a cold can I get a script?
Doc: Yeah, let me check you first.
Me: Doc should I set up my macros at 40/40/20 or 40/30/30?
Doc: Uh…wtf?
Me: Trick you don’t know nothing, from now on…I diagnose myself!

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

[quote]Charlie Horse wrote:
Hi SkyNett
I believe the op manages strippers, but whatever.
I have read a few things about how dietary cholesterol does not necessarily effect blood cholesterol or at least not for everyone. This is one of the articles I’ve read about this.

I was wondering what your take is on this.
[/quote]

Hi Charlie - my take is that I agree 100 % with those findings. I wasn’t really debating that - there are a LOT of people on this board in general who swear their medical advice is better than an actual medical professional - which 99.9% of the time is patently false.

I just find it absurd when - say a mailman - wants to play endocrinologist. I think it’s tremendously irresponsible and dangerous. And there seems to be no shortage of dipshits lining up for this advice while shitting on actual board-certified professionals.

That was really my point. : ) [/quote]

I was asking because you find things online but you never really know if it’s reliable and I figured since it’s your field… Thanks. :slight_smile:

And virtually zero percent of people on T-Nation have the ability to perform surgery, remind your surgeon he’s an asshole for not knowing about macronutrient ratios before you go under after that head-on collision at 2AM because you fell asleep.

Doctors do doctor things. Being a master of nutrition isn’t that important. They ought to try harder to be more current but it’s hardly the most important thing out there.

where are macronutrient ratios in the the survey?

Doctors now just care about prescribing pills, they don’t CURE you, they keep you alive so they can bill you.
now go to Church

pain clinics in FL now have docs to prescribe you TEST, hurry.