Surgery

My Fellow Bodybuilders:

On May 26, 2004 I had reconstructive shoulder surgery (staples, “anchors”, removing broken-off pieces of cartilage, etc) due to several dislocations and subluxations between August 2000 and May 2004, a result of several years of water polo and swimming. Post-high school I bulked up from 5’10", 140 lbs to 220 lbs in a year, then added another 15 lbs, bring me to 235 lbs, 12% body fat (I was bulking remember). I had been right on track with my goals, and then my shoulders started acting up again. After another serious dislocation this past spring, I decided to have them repaired by my own volition, in addition to the suggestion from my orthopedic surgeon (who is also a sports medicine doctor) and physical therapist. Anyhow, it’s been a few months now, and I am still on the path toward FULL recovery. However, I will be undergoing the same surgery on my left shoulder this coming December 2004, meaning that I will not be able to go back to lifting until June 2005, LORD willing.

The question I have for you is this: WHAT DO I DO IN THE MEAN TIME? Since Summer 2003, I have lost about 50 lbs. I am still 5’10", but I weigh 187 lbs, and am legitimately 5% body fat (a lean one, I know). I have been doing some running, which I hate, and going to physical therapy twice to three times a week per doctor’s orders. My PT has me doing sweet stuff for my shoulder, but not much else. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what you think I should do between now and June 2005 (the projected date for going back to lifting, remember)? What would you suggest for my diet? I have been using a low-carb/good-carb approach considering I do not need the extra carbs for bulking, etc. FYI: I am taking a good multi-vitamin daily, eating plenty of protein, watching bad fat intake, watching my carbs, and eating plenty of fruits and vegetables.

What would you suggest training-wise for the time being? What do you all think of Pilates? I know some may laugh, but I really gotta get into some sort of routine. Considering I have until June of 2005 before I will be able to go back to regular weight training, I would like to make some good goals, and work on things I might not have worked on, had I not been injured. Any and all suggestions regarding this issue are welcome.

Please help a brother out. Thanks!