Surgery and Training

I am going to have surgery in June next year. The surgeon has said I cannot lift weights afterwards for 6 months. What can I do to minimize the inevitable loss of gainzz (strength and size) during that period? I am already consuming a gram of protein per lb of BW. I take creatine, and will continue. Anything else I can do/take? Advice much appreciated!

The stronger you go in, the stronger you’ll come out.

2 Likes

After my ACL re-construction, I made it a point to flex the muscles in my healing leg as hard as possible while visualizing squatting.

If lifting weights is the only limitations, I’d do a LOT of bodyweight exercises.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. It isn’t weights per se, I can’t do any exercise which strains the neck or shoulder muscles (word for word what the doctor said) for six months as it will interfere with the incision healing, and possibly result in a stretched scar. This essentially rules out OHP, deadlift, squat, parallel dips, chin ups and probably BOR. I could maybe get away with bench but it is my least favourite exercise to be honest. I will need to think about exercise. Swimming is apparently ok. That might become my new physical exercise of choice.

Does anybody have any advice on supplements that protect against catabolism?

Could you do belt squats? Or pull a sled?

Is this a cervical injury? If so, it’s not the question you asked, but I wouldn’t take any risks the surgeon doesn’t recommend. I’d rather not lift for 6 months than not brush my teeth unassisted for the rest of my life.

In terms of supplements, eh. Your protein is already on-point, that’s probably your best bet. I’d maybe change my focus (like swimming, like you mentioned) and use it as forced periodization. How lean can you get in 6 months. Then, when you come back, you can go after weight gain with abandon.

3 Likes

Excellent Advise @TrainForPain !

1 Like

I agree with everything said here. Visualization and isometrics are safe but have also proved to preserve both neuromuscular performances of injured/surgical limbs and body parts and maintain some muscle mass.

But like @TrainForPain said, time to do some body composition and go into your post-surgical and rehab phase without restrictions because you let yourself heal well, and your body is healthier.

Outside of that, I have had many athletes use electrical stimulation systems like a Neubie ( https://neu.fit/ ) to work on pain and neuromuscular performance. In fact, I had a bodybuilder who blew out her back to get certified so she could own a machine for herself and now uses it to train. As a result, she is more muscular, stronger, and has more cuts than ever. There are other machines out there. Just depends on how far you want to take it!

1 Like

Thank you everybody for your great advice. I should probably just come clean as the community is concerned for my wellbeing and giving advice accordingly (which I really appreciate), but it is not anything serious - I am going to get a second hair transplant and it is FUT. They cut a strip out of the back of your scalp and then pull it together to close the gap again. The risk of doing any exercise involving neck flexion is that the scar stretches and is no longer pencil line thin, meaning it can be seen. If it were cervical surgery I wouldn’t go anywhere near a gym until the doctor gave the all clear!

It sounds like it is just making sure I keep my protein intake up and start doing swimming more often to fill in the gap. Could try doing leg press and bicep curls/tricep extensions too I suppose… The latter two are so boring though. The issue is that I have just come back off holiday for a month and can already see/feel a difference (no gym for a month). Six months will be killer!

1 Like

This genuinely gave me a chuckle. Good luck!

Cocoa butter and Vaseline might help on the scar, although I assume since this is a surgeon focusing on aesthetics they’ll tell you all the best tips.

:man_shrugging: :sweat_smile:

It is actually my second one, so well accustomed. The clinic is one of the best in the world too. The scar is not the issue, I know what to do there. I just want tips to maintain as many strength and size gains as I can. I appreciate the response(s) though and at least if nothing else you got a laugh out of it :wink:

1 Like