T Nation

Surge Workout Fuel Pre-Workout?

Is this an effective pre-workout? and is it anything like jack3d, No-xplode, Superpump?

Yes.

No.

:wink:

Surge Workout Fuel isn't a caffeine-loaded stimulant, NO2 supplement, or anything like those. It's essentially a combo of the right carbs and extras (like beta-alanine, citrulline malate, and an electrolyte mix) for sustained performance. Basically, after 45 minutes of hard lifting, I feel as fresh as I did after the first 5 minutes.

I'll usually have a serving 10-15 minutes before the gym and a serving during my training (with MAG-10). If I'm having a crappy, slow-moving day, I might have a Spike Shooter with the pre-workout shake for an actual energy boost.

I've never seen the need for caffeine or other stimulants before training. If you're that tired or run down then lifting shouldn't be your main concern. If you are in contest prep and draggin' ass from the diet that's one thing, but everyday folk needing energy drinks and such is a glaring problem imo.

I usually have plenty of energy I just like using things that will allow me to lift more weight without having to take steroids. Thanks for the advice.

Hmm, gray area...

Everyday folk who DON'T train don't need energy drinks (or so much of it! I've seen a couple lushes!)

Everyday folk who DO take their training seriously, on the other hand, can definitely get benefits and I can see why some of them would need it. Not so great sleep schedule, long commute + work hours, but takes training and nutrition seriously. I can't really find fault for the want or need for an energy supplement in a situation like that... hell I know I need a cup of coffee for a pick me up if I'm training after work!

I've read this from you multiple times, and it is really annoying. Sure, caffeine is probably overused, but that's because it's extremely useful. It elevates wakefulness, mood, and perceived energy, so it's great for anything from working out to studying. I'm currently working full time, training, and going to gradschool full time. Sometimes I don't get a full 8 hrs of sleep and need a pick me up. What's the big glaring problem?

I like caffeine- Spike shots are my preferred source, or a Spike Shooter if i have that. aint nothing wrong with some caffeine before functions (e.g. working out, parties, etc)

It is a problem IMO when people wake up and have to have caffeine just to function.

I'd agree with this sentiment -- I would not have been able to pass my corrective exercise exam in the final weeks of contest prep without a boost.

Hmm, gray area...

Everyday folk who DON'T train don't need energy drinks (or so much of it! I've seen a couple lushes!)

Everyday folk who DO take their training seriously, on the other hand, can definitely get benefits and I can see why some of them would need it. Not so great sleep schedule, long commute + work hours, but takes training and nutrition seriously. I can't really find fault for the want or need for an energy supplement in a situation like that... hell I know I need a cup of coffee for a pick me up if I'm training after work!