T Nation

Surge Workout Fuel During Rugby?

Would Surge Workout Fuel be something to drink pre-rugby game, during breaks (i.e. at stoppages or half-time), and post game? Or is it really a training tool and not ideal for the game?

It would be great before/during/after

You may find less expensive alternatives though

Namely?

I think a serving before rugby and 1/2 serving to a serving during would be good. That would only cost 3-4 dollars. You would have much more endurance and you’d probably fun faster than if you ate other carbs.

[quote]umfitz wrote:
Namely?[/quote]

Beer. It’s rugby for fuck’s sake!

I’d think so.

I eat FINiBARs before/during bike rides and playing hockey, but I’ve been thinking about filling my water bottles with Surge Workout Fuel.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

You may find less expensive alternatives though[/quote]

Personally I’d prolly have gatorade. Costs much less and is almost as beneficial in your situation. You just need proper energy >>> carbs, electrolytes, etc.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

Personally I’d prolly have gatorade. Costs much less and is almost as beneficial in your situation. You just need proper energy >>> carbs, electrolytes, etc.[/quote]

Sure, you could, but I’ve always found the carbohydrates in FINiBARs and Surge Workout Fuel* to be superior for athletic endeavors.

It’s up to the OP to balance out on-the-field results with what it costs to fuel them. If you’re ultra-competitive and take your rugby seriously, then opt for Surge Workout Fuel. If you’re a weekender, then maybe Gatorade will suffice. But then again, you may want to be the ultimate weekender.

*My experience with Surge Workout Fuel was limited to pre-workout in the past, but FINiBARs have proven to be wonderful.

[quote]SBT wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

Personally I’d prolly have gatorade. Costs much less and is almost as beneficial in your situation. You just need proper energy >>> carbs, electrolytes, etc.[/quote]

Sure, you could, but I’ve always found the carbohydrates in FINiBARs and Surge Workout Fuel* to be superior for athletic endeavors.

It’s up to the OP to balance out on-the-field results with what it costs to fuel them. If you’re ultra-competitive and take your rugby seriously, then opt for Surge Workout Fuel. If you’re a weekender, then maybe Gatorade will suffice. But then again, you may want to be the ultimate weekender.

*My experience with Surge Workout Fuel was limited to pre-workout in the past, but FINiBARs have proven to be wonderful.[/quote]

Well put.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

[quote]umfitz wrote:
Namely?[/quote]

Beer. It’s rugby for fuck’s sake![/quote]

Dre has a point, intra-post workout at it’s best. Another suitable option is scotch. As far as performance enhancement goes you can’t go wrong. Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger, he endorsed Jim Beam as a high amino supplement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xnwg5h9U3g&feature=related

But in all honesty, i found beta alanine and creatine supplements in general to be phenomenal for rugby, teammate of mine swears by Purple K Before games.

I love Workout Fuel for Rugby. I think it really helps me with energy during games, and I feel dramatically less sore / tired after. I also take it before practice, might be a little overkill there but I find it hard not to lose weight doing any sort of running and WO Fuel completely fixes that for me.