T Nation

Surge & Sugar Question

Hey I just got my first order of Surge in the mail. Drinking it right now… noticing that it is damn sweet. So I looked at the jug and it has 42grams of sugar per 93gram serving.

Is it really good to be taking in this much sugar? Is there a good reason behind this much sugar?

Also, the stuff I was taking before was called 100% whey. One scoop twice a day, 24g of protein, and only 1g of sugar. Was this stuff better? What am I getting with Surge aside from 40 more grams of sugar?

did you even read the article on Surge?

I’d start with reading the product thread.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459244

Surge is meant to be used only pre/post workout. It isn’t an “anytime” protein supplement.

Also, run a search and read John Berardi’s “Solving the Post-Workout Puzzle” series. That will also explain why a shake like Surge is so great before/after your workout.

Check out Solving the Post-Workout Puzzle Parts 1 and 2 at the following addresses for the science behind maximizing recovery with Surge.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460833 http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=462147

Do you often buy stuff without reseaching it?

[quote]cabre wrote:
Do you often buy stuff without reseaching it?[/quote]

Do you often make redundant replies?

Thank you to the other two, I’ll read those links. I’m not doubting Surge as I’ve heard nothing but good things. I’m just curious about the sugar.

And I am drinking this post workout… ever so slowly lol.

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
cabre wrote:

[/quote]

I dont know… I’m with him on this one. I think most people agree that it would have been smart knowing what a supplement does before buying it. Just sayin…

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
JFG12 wrote:
cabre wrote:

I dont know… I’m with him on this one. I think most people agree that it would have been smart knowing what a supplement does before buying it. Just sayin…[/quote]

I know that it is a during/post workout supplement, designed to reduce the breaking down of muscle tissue. I know that sugar has a role in this… didn’t realize it took that much sugar. I was always told that sugar was bad… leads to being overweight etc.

I just wanted to be sure that some of that sugar wasn’t put in there for taste… because I think the taste is pretty awful. I definitely prefer a bitter taste over the insane amount of sweetness. That being said, I drink it to get the job done, so if this stuff truly is the best, it could taste like dirt for all I care… as long as having all of that sugar is key of course.

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
JFG12 wrote:
cabre wrote:

I dont know… I’m with him on this one. I think most people agree that it would have been smart knowing what a supplement does before buying it. Just sayin…

I know that it is a during/post workout supplement, designed to reduce the breaking down of muscle tissue. I know that sugar has a role in this… didn’t realize it took that much sugar. I was always told that sugar was bad… leads to being overweight etc.

I just wanted to be sure that some of that sugar wasn’t put in there for taste… because I think the taste is pretty awful. I definitely prefer a bitter taste over the insane amount of sweetness. That being said, I drink it to get the job done, so if this stuff truly is the best, it could taste like dirt for all I care… as long as having all of that sugar is key of course.
[/quote]

I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t think you really did any substantial research on both PWO nutrtition, the product you were buying, and nutrition in general.

Besides that, why would a bodybuilding supplement company/bodybuilding website make products that, if used correctly, make people fat?

I’m not trying to be a douche, but I think you should have done some homework on this one.

Heh.
Well, the short version of a lot of the Berardi thinking (he’s the guy who designed Surge) is about nutrient timing. When is the best time to eat what.

Sugar isn’t inherently bad…when you eat it at the right time.

The best time being right after a workout in combination with a fast-absorbing protein, when you body is at it most catabolic/“drained”: in need of fuel and repair.

The reason you’re getting so flamed is most of the people on this site are very well read on nutrition, training and supplements…particularly on Biotest supplements…and major label readers of food and supps, and of course regular readers of this site.

So you saying “what’s with all this sugar in Surge” is a bit like saying “what’s with all these peanuts in my peanut butter?”.

You know…did you know what you were buying? And why you were buying it?

Anyway, hope my mini-explanation helps.

You’re either very new or very young. In either case liberal use of the “SEARCH” feature of the site will benefit you.

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
cabre wrote:

Thank you to the other two, I’ll read those links. I’m not doubting Surge as I’ve heard nothing but good things. I’m just curious about the sugar.

And I am drinking this post workout… ever so slowly lol.[/quote]

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
cabre wrote:

[/quote]

BTW, every post has to be approved by moderator, so it’s likely he didn’t see the replies before he posted.