T Nation

SURGE Recovery or Grow! Whey Protein?

I’m 16, at 135lb - been training for a few months solidly (everything else before that can’t really be counted as ‘training’).

I’ve got a choice here, with the new price drop, of either going for a tub of Grow!, or SURGE Recovery. What would you guy’s recommend for me? I don’t have any protein powder at the moment, and I want a good PWO supp, so is SURGE Recovery the best choice for me, or will Grow! be sufficient for someone of my level?

Or I guess, really, is there any other Biotest product I should buy, which would be below around $30?
It’s only meant to last me about a month; my cash source is very limited.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

[quote]chrisgillan wrote:
I’m 16, at 135lb - been training for a few months solidly (everything else before that can’t really be counted as ‘training’).

I’ve got a choice here, with the new price drop, of either going for a tub of Grow!, or SURGE Recovery. What would you guy’s recommend for me? I don’t have any protein powder at the moment, and I want a good PWO supp, so is SURGE Recovery the best choice for me, or will Grow! be sufficient for someone of my level?

Or I guess, really, is there any other Biotest product I should buy, which would be below around $30?
It’s only meant to last me about a month; my cash source is very limited.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
[/quote]

Can you spend the $30 on lots of rice, eggs, beans, and milk? Calories are going to help you grow a lot faster than either of the two supplements you mentioned. You could use them all day, but if you aren’t eating enough calories, you aren’t going to grow.

Go for Surge Recovery. It is intended to be a post workout supp and works well.

why dont you just focus on training and eating the right amount… no supplements will get you further than what you are now unless you start training harder with more intensity…

the human body can endure so much more than people think. and your only 16, wait until your atleast 19 to try supplements…

you basically just hit puberty dude, give it some time.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
Go for Surge Recovery. It is intended to be a post workout supp and works well. [/quote]

Most now are agreeing that we should use it Pre-Workout instead of Post workout.

For the last 2 months or so, I have switched to using it Pre-Workout, and am enjoying the difference.

[quote]Joelsopher wrote:
why dont you just focus on training and eating the right amount… no supplements will get you further than what you are now unless you start training harder with more intensity…

the human body can endure so much more than people think. and your only 16, wait until your atleast 19 to try supplements…

you basically just hit puberty dude, give it some time.[/quote]

I don’t agree with this.

Wait until later to use unnatural supplements like steroids and what-not. Right now, drinking calories in a liquid form is almost no different than eating them.

I stick to my original recommendation of beans, rice, milk, and eggs, but not because of your age. I recommend these things because of your limited budget.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
ebomb5522 wrote:

Most now are agreeing that we should use it Pre-Workout instead of Post workout.

For the last 2 months or so, I have switched to using it Pre-Workout, and am enjoying the difference. [/quote]

Should we start calling it Surge Pre-covery?

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:
ebomb5522 wrote:

For the last 2 months or so, I have switched to using it Pre-Workout, and am enjoying the difference.

Should we start calling it Surge Pre-covery?
[/quote]

I actually think there is talk about changing the name once Anaconda, MAG-10, and I Bodybuilder come out.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses so far. The reason I was going for the sups, is that through my parents I am able to get ‘rice, eggs, beans, and milk’ etc. They’re happy to provide all that =)
So with that in mind would you have any recommendations, or would you still say that I should just eat my basics for now?

i mean if you get unlimited food, just eat enough protein to not need powder. and get Surge, while i wont swear to gainin weight (pussyfied eating sabotaged me) my lifts and gym experiances have much improved. at the very least it will make you stronger, and time will take care of size (if you eat)

[quote]Kanada wrote:
i mean if you get unlimited food, just eat enough protein to not need powder. and get Surge, while i wont swear to gainin weight (pussyfied eating sabotaged me) my lifts and gym experiances have much improved. at the very least it will make you stronger, and time will take care of size (if you eat)[/quote]

Agreed.

You have it good now if your parents are buying the groceries. Eat enough food so that your protein is covered, and spend your $30 on Surge Recovery.

You may also try to explain to your parents that Whey is just ‘dehydrated milk,’ although I know how difficult that can be when you’re 16. My best advice is to gather your facts from good sources, provide them with references, and sit them both down and have a calm talk about your goals, health, and food intake.