T Nation

Surge recovery, is it worth it?

Hey guys, I have weight trained for awhile but have never taken any supplements of any kind. I am thinking about starting because I have a workout plan that suggests using Surge Recovery. If anyone out there has ever used this supplement, knows someone personaly who has used it, or just knows a good deal about the product, I would really like to know your take on the product.

Thank you in advance

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459244

what are your goals?

i love the taste, makes me want to work out twice a day everyday, just so I can drink it.

based upon the research it’s effective with aiding in recovery, so it’s worth it IMO.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
what are your goals?

i love the taste, makes me want to work out twice a day everyday, just so I can drink it.

based upon the research it’s effective with aiding in recovery, so it’s worth it IMO.[/quote]

I am just focused on getting everything out of my workout that I can. I was hoping that this would aid me in doing so.

Well, it tastes better than a powdered Gatorade/whey mix, but after using it for some time I can’t say I notice any real difference between the two. The only reason why I would consider it [quote]…one of the most powerful supplements to ever hit the market[/quote] is because 95% of the supplements out there are junk.

I mean, if you’ve got the money to spend, go for it. Though plenty of people get big without relying on PWO shakes like this, many people DO swear by it.

But, if you can’t afford it, it’s really not a big deal.

Of course, this probably isn’t the best site to hunt for reviews, especially considering what’s been going on lately.

[quote]anonym wrote:

Of course, this probably isn’t the best site to hunt for reviews, especially considering what’s been going on lately.[/quote]

what do you mean by that?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
anonym wrote:

Of course, this probably isn’t the best site to hunt for reviews, especially considering what’s been going on lately.

what do you mean by that?[/quote]

A cheap shot - someone made a comment about the V-Diet in the Bunker thread and it disappeared a few hours later, as did the posts of people who quoted it.

The 3 complaint threads in the Get a Life forum lasted about 20 minutes, maybe.

I was honestly half expecting my post to not go through in this thread.

[quote]anonym wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
anonym wrote:

Of course, this probably isn’t the best site to hunt for reviews, especially considering what’s been going on lately.

what do you mean by that?

A cheap shot - someone made a comment about the V-Diet in the Bunker thread and it disappeared a few hours later, as did the posts of people who quoted it.

The 3 complaint threads in the Get a Life forum lasted about 20 minutes, maybe.

I was honestly half expecting my post to not go through in this thread.[/quote]

you will be moderated lol

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
anonym wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
anonym wrote:

Of course, this probably isn’t the best site to hunt for reviews, especially considering what’s been going on lately.

what do you mean by that?

A cheap shot - someone made a comment about the V-Diet in the Bunker thread and it disappeared a few hours later, as did the posts of people who quoted it.

The 3 complaint threads in the Get a Life forum lasted about 20 minutes, maybe.

I was honestly half expecting my post to not go through in this thread.

you will be moderated lol

[/quote]

Actually, I was mistaken about the complaint thread. It was just moved to the Tech forum.

I’m really surprised no one else had jumped on this thread. I think almost everyone on this site has used and does use Surge constantly. IT does depend on your goals though. If the goal is to try and put on as much muscle as possible, then yes, take it. Me and my brother have had some success mixing the Metabolic Drive (Metabolic Drive, “pm” protein ) with orange juice or some other sugary drink and it works well but why buy two things when you can buy one.

If you pop some Surge with some bcaa’s you will deffinitely see results. I find one scoop before, one during, one after, and then another 30 minutes later is a good scheme.

You can make your own Surge…the ingredients are not hard to get: dextrose, maltodextrin and whey protein (Surge has whey hydroslate, will it make a big difference? probly not) Dextrose and maltodextrin are extremely cheap.

actually, can you buy whey hydrolsate?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
actually, can you buy whey hydrolsate?[/quote]

yes sir

I just picked up dextrose the other day. Using the .8 g/kg bw carb and .4 g/kg bw protein ratio, I would need something like 18 1.25 TBSP scoops of dextrose. I was using powerade powder, but figured the dextrose would be better. I have BCAAs but I thought that Surge had BCAAs in them. I figure that taking a couple scoops of Surge would be easier than popping BCAAs before, during, and after my workouts, scooping out 18 things of dextrose, and then adding whey. I’m paying rent and bills right now, but after I get my next pay check, I think I’m going to order some and give it a try. Based on what I’ve heard, I don’t think I’ll be disappointed.

[Edit:

Can anybody recommend any flavors.

]

[quote]Brucelee69 wrote:
I am just focused on getting everything out of my workout that I can. I was hoping that this would aid me in doing so.[/quote]

Just to be clear- Surge is a recovery drink. It provides a quicker recovery from your workout so that your next workout can be that much better. If you already wait a few days in-between workouts it may not provide a huge boost. Yes it does more than that providing a quick shot of protein at the end of the workout… read the product thread on that. And just to be clear I use it almost every day, so I’m a firm believer.

Other supplements that you might want to consider based on your statement above are Creatine and Beta-7. Both of those have a direct relationship to how much effort you can put forth during your workout. They may be as much or more beneficial to you, especially if you are looking to limit the supplements you use. Creatine will give you the biggest bang for the buck.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
I just picked up dextrose the other day. Using the .8 g/kg bw carb and .4 g/kg bw protein ratio, I would need something like 18 1.25 TBSP scoops of dextrose. I was using powerade powder, but figured the dextrose would be better. I have BCAAs but I thought that Surge had BCAAs in them. I figure that taking a couple scoops of Surge would be easier than popping BCAAs before, during, and after my workouts, scooping out 18 things of dextrose, and then adding whey. I’m paying rent and bills right now, but after I get my next pay check, I think I’m going to order some and give it a try. Based on what I’ve heard, I don’t think I’ll be disappointed.

[Edit:

Can anybody recommend any flavors.

] [/quote]

LOL. Why would you scooop 18 tbsp’s out? 1 cup = 16 tbsp
Are you sure youre calculating right? 1 tpsp of dextrose = about 9g carbs. Which means you’ll be taking in over 160g carbs.

I’m pretty sure I’m not getting something here because I just scooped out whatever the shit was, which hopefully I just wrote down wrong.

I feel like an idiot, but tsp is teaspoon and not TBSP, which I’m glad I figured out. Another reason to just get the Surge.

Either way theres no way I was going to drink this anyway…

[Edit: It was 1.25 tsp = 4 g of carbs and boy do I feel stupid and that pic is just powder and no liquid]

Yeah I thought you might be making that mistake, that’s why I mentioned it. Just divide however many g’s you need by 9, thats how many tablespoons you need.
8 TBSP = 1/2 cup
4 TBSP = 1/4 cup
This makes it easier.

Thanks.