T Nation

Surge PWO Drink - Discuss

I’d like to get some discussion about Surge going…

I’ve been using Surge as my PWO recovery drink for a few months now and I’ve been very happy with the recovery results. Delayed soreness doesn’t take me down a notch like it used to.

I previously would prioritize movements/lifts to the beginning of the week because I couldn’t get the best bang for the buck out of them later in the week. Since I’ve used Surge this hasn’t been as much of an issue.

So, I do need to hand it to Surge.

Question though: What is Surge giving me that say a quality protein mix is NOT going to give me. For instance…I take Optimum’s 100% Whey and put it next to Surge and serving for serving they appear nearly identical. Both have quality fast absorbing protein, 5G BCCAs, etc.

Again, I’m happy with Surge, but on a sheer cost basis, why shouldn’t I consider something else?

Of course, I don’t believe I’ve ever had the same results from other PWO protocols.

Hopefully we can get some good discussion about people’s experiences with Surge here.

BOTTOM LINE: I’m a fan of the BIOSTEST products and I want to support them and this site, which has been a huge knowledge base for my weight training progression.

[quote]jeromeTERRIBLE wrote:

Question though: What is Surge giving me that say a quality protein mix is NOT going to give me. For instance…I take Optimum’s 100% Whey and put it next to Surge and serving for serving they appear nearly identical. Both have quality fast absorbing protein, 5G BCCAs, etc.

[/quote]

To keep it really short, the glucose in Surge is what causes the insulin spike to drive the nutrients into the muscles for repair. You won’t get that from just whey.

So if he were to throw some glucose in with his whey product it would replicate Surge’s PWO effect?

Everything about these products is different.

The protein your using does not have added BCAAs, whereas Surge does.

Surge Post-Workout also contains whey protein hydrolyslate for super fast absorption. The other product contains WPI and WPC.

And as the previous poster noted, Surge contains insulin promoting carbohydrates to rapidly replenish muscle glycogen.

[quote]JSopko wrote:
So if he were to throw some glucose in with his whey product it would replicate Surge’s PWO effect?[/quote]

Not exactly. . . you then have to take into account the fact that the type of whey used in Surge is hydrolysate, which is faster digesting than plain ole whey. Also, by itself, whey hydrolysate takes horrible… while Surge tastes great. And then there’s the added BCAA’s. . .

Bascially, there was a thread awhile back started by Berardi that concluded if you tried to duplicate the Surge formula, you end up spending more going the “home brew” way.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
SBT wrote:To keep it really short, the glucose in Surge is what causes the insulin spike to drive the nutrients into the muscles for repair. You won’t get that from just whey.

Everything about these products is different.

The protein your using does not have added BCAAs, whereas Surge does.

Surge Post-Workout also contains whey protein hydrolyslate for super fast absorption. The other product contains WPI and WPC.

And as the previous poster noted, Surge contains insulin promoting carbohydrates to rapidly replenish muscle glycogen.[/quote]

Yeah, I was afraid by trying to keep my post short it would make it look like Surge was easy to replicate. Definitely not my point at all.

Thank you for this information. I knew it wasn’t apples to apples, but it wasn’t clear for me at all.

Thx.

Good call about the hydrolysate vs. isolate.

There’s a good discussion about how to make this work for us here: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459463

tryig to make your own home brew adds up fast $$$ and also is never as good, belive me, i’v tried. The only thing I add to Surge is a scoop of creatine. everything else is there!

other fun things to do with Surge- add half a can of Spike Shooter to a serving of wild raspberry Surge… taske like liquified sweedish fish with a kick, great for longer training sessions, sitting around ata meet or just an extra pick me up!

actually 100% optimum whey does has 5g bcaa per serving.

Anyway I’ve tried recreating something similar(should of used something like cool-aid, but you will near puke from the high super sweet taste of it). Used 2 scoops whey, 100g d-glucose, god tasted like SH*T.

Otherwise, I’d much rather use Surge than make a home batch.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
actually 100% optimum whey does has 5g bcaa per serving.[/quote]

It does if you count the BCAA inherent in the whey. Remember, all complete proteins contain BCAAs since they are essential amino acids.

If you view Surge the same say, it contains over 13.6 grams BCAA.

Yeah, ive done the homebrew. Its ok. But over time it starts to get to you. Especially if your using it often.

Surge is way better! Especially pre workout.

However muffins and choc milk/protein after is better in my view =) Who can turn down refined flour?