Surge for Endurance?

I am not an endurance athlete but I will participate in a five hour event in August. My buddy, in celebration of his 50th b-day, wants to ascend Pikes Peak (14,100 ft) in under 5 hours; one per decade. This will be a very strenuous.

I wonder if Surge makes sense as a fluid replacement/nutrition source while I am climbing? If so, I wonder if it would be best to sip the entire time or split it up into a several “meals”. Maybe I’d be better off with water and several MD energy bars.

Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated.

all of the above, perhaps some vitamin/mineral pills, dried fruit, nuts, supplement with beta7.

[quote]kjwillia wrote:
I am not an endurance athlete but I will participate in a five hour event in August. My buddy, in celebration of his 50th b-day, wants to ascend Pikes Peak (14,100 ft) in under 5 hours; one per decade. This will be a very strenuous.

I wonder if Surge makes sense as a fluid replacement/nutrition source while I am climbing? If so, I wonder if it would be best to sip the entire time or split it up into a several “meals”. Maybe I’d be better off with water and several MD energy bars.

Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated. [/quote]

A 5 hour time can be done with steady, fast hiking, as opposed to running, so you should not have a problem consuming Surge Recovery and Metabolic Drive Bars. The high BCAA content of Surge Recovery will help your performance at the high elevation.

I recommend mixing 2 servings and sipping them throughout. You probably don’t want to carry too much more fluid, especially since there are aid stations along the route.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
all of the above, perhaps some vitamin/mineral pills, dried fruit, nuts, supplement with beta7.[/quote]

I definitely wouldn’t mess with a vitamins during the hike as they are likely to wreck your gut, which would surely affect performance and make you miserable.

Beta7 is a good idea as long as you begin taking it a week or two prior to the event.