T Nation

Surge and Other Supplements

well, decided to try Surge (even with all that sugar) this is what i plan on doing, all help appreciated. (i’m 59)
working out 5 days a week at this time, i mix it up, 3 days–4--5. i work 1 body part per day plus 15 min. of cardio, with stretching and abs-back work, all takes about 1 hr.

supplements, i intend to–
4:30 a.m. mix 1 scoop Surge in 28 oz. water, drink 1/2 with 1 Alpha Male.
5am-start my workout while sipping on the bal. of Surge.
6 a.m.–after workout mix 1 scoop Surge in 28 oz. water, take 2 Rez-V while finishing Surge.
8am–oatmeal with Metabolic Drive protien powder, 1 Flameout and 2 multi (i take 6 multi daily).
11a.m.–another Alpha Male and an hr. later lunch and watch my diet from there with only other supplements are my multi the rest of the day. with all that DHA-EPA in Flameout i feel 1 is enough.

other questions–should/could i mix 5 grams of creatine with Surge after my workout OR would it be best to have it with breakfast
2-do i need Power Drive if i’m taking Surge?

hopefully this is explained properly.
thanks to al
Mike

As far as Alpha Male goes, there is no real need to take it at or around lifting times. Stick with the dosing directions on the bottle.

The use of Surge looks about right. The creatine with it is a good idea, during and post work out.

Good luck, and good gains.

[quote]mike59 wrote:
with all that DHA-EPA in Flameout i feel 1 is enough.[/quote]

I’ve never seen anyone recommend less than 1 gm. of DHA + EPA a day. Most research I’ve seen suggests that 3 gms. is more appropriate. If Flameout is too expensive, do what I do: Add in Kirkland (Costo) fish oil caps. I used to take 4-8 Flameouts a day, but that’s too costly. So I now take 4 Flameouts and 5-10 Costco caps.

Given your age, you really shouldn’t skimp on the Flameout/fish oil caps. Seriously. As a young man, I take the caps for my joints. You really need to worry about heart health.

You might be able to afford whatever supplements you need. If so, awesome. If not, you need to trend towards health-based supplements like Flameout and fish and flaxseed oil. Cut out the “sexy” supplements like Surge.

The post-workout effects of Surge won’t mean shit if you have a heart attack.

[quote]mike59 wrote:
well, decided to try Surge (even with all that sugar) this is what i plan on doing, all help appreciated. (i’m 59)
working out 5 days a week at this time, i mix it up, 3 days–4--5. i work 1 body part per day plus 15 min. of cardio, with stretching and abs-back work, all takes about 1 hr.

supplements, i intend to–
4:30 a.m. mix 1 scoop Surge in 28 oz. water, drink 1/2 with 1 Alpha Male.
5am-start my workout while sipping on the bal. of Surge.
6 a.m.–after workout mix 1 scoop Surge in 28 oz. water, take 2 Rez-V while finishing Surge.
8am–oatmeal with Metabolic Drive protien powder, 1 Flameout and 2 multi (i take 6 multi daily).
11a.m.–another Alpha Male and an hr. later lunch and watch my diet from there with only other supplements are my multi the rest of the day. with all that DHA-EPA in Flameout i feel 1 is enough.

other questions–should/could i mix 5 grams of creatine with Surge after my workout OR would it be best to have it with breakfast
2-do i need Power Drive if i’m taking Surge?

hopefully this is explained properly.
thanks to al
Mike[/quote]

Creatine is fine w/ Surge. This will help speed the creatine into your cells via the insulin spike you receive from the sugar/carbs in Surge.

Power Drive is different than Surge. They are essentially both aiming to speed up the recovery period between workouts though. Power Drive is a CNS stimulant/recovery aid, so if you feel a bit run down after a draining workout then feel free to use it then. Some prefer is preworkout, some post. It’s up to you to determine which you like best.

6 multi vitamins a day?? You might be going a bit overkill there. 1-2 per day should be more than enough on top of a good diet with fruits/vegs included.

Regards to the Flameout; I would suggest taking at least 2-4 per day. Those should be used much more frequently than your multis. I’d be willing to bet you’d feel a hell of a lot better physically if you increased the amount of Flameout you used per day.

Best of luck!

Sky–only reason i thought of taking Alpha Male in a.m. before workout is for convenience, trying to take all these becomes a job.

Cortese5–taking 6 multi’s because that’s whats needed to get full dose, not overdoing it. i “think” the multi’s i take are great.

Cal Law–“Surge won’t mean shit if you have a heart attack” :o) :o) that is funny !! reason i am taking 1 Flameout was because the dosage seemed so high compared to what i was taking. i get my vitamins from xtend-life, who i trust very much. their omega 3 dosage for 2 caps which was recommended is:
DHA-500MG
EPA-220MG

so with 1 Flameout i was equalling the dosage. not only them but many i’ve seen had similar dosage. i will up my dosage to 2 daily.

so all and all, the plan i laid out is o.k. ? want to make sure i am not stacking where i would do more harm or wasting my time, $$ and effort and not getting proper benefit.
thank you all for the response. any more pro’s–cons–fire away.

Mike
p.s.–notice some omega’s have more DHA than EPA and some have the opposite. i read men should take more DHA and women more EPA, (forget where i read it) anyone know why these dosages are different.

[quote]mike59 wrote:
Sky–only reason i thought of taking Alpha Male in a.m. before workout is for convenience, trying to take all these becomes a job.[/quote]

Regardless you should still stick with the dosing recommendations on the bottle. They are there for a reason.

Drop one in a glass of water. If it isn’t completely dissovled in about 2 hours it’s not as good as you think it is.

[quote]Cal Law–“Surge won’t mean shit if you have a heart attack” :o) :o) that is funny !! reason i am taking 1 Flameout was because the dosage seemed so high compared to what i was taking. i get my vitamins from xtend-life, who i trust very much. their omega 3 dosage for 2 caps which was recommended is:
DHA-500MG
EPA-220MG

so with 1 Flameout i was equalling the dosage. not only them but many i’ve seen had similar dosage. i will up my dosage to 2 daily.[/quote]

The point of this is that the dosing on regular fish oil products is designed for women and not at all appropriate for men, especially your age. I know Flameout is expensive, but you would be better served to at least take 3 a day, but really 4 is ideal.

[quote]so all and all, the plan i laid out is o.k. ? want to make sure i am not stacking where i would do more harm or wasting my time, $$ and effort and not getting proper benefit.
thank you all for the response. any more pro’s–cons–fire away.[/quote]

Why only one body part per day? You’d be better suited to work a few per day and take longer breaks in between. Not just because you are 59, but for the overall recovery benefit.

To save some cash (to buy more Flameout) you could skip the Surge prior to your workout and use either Power Drive or just have a protein shake and some complex carbs (i.e. oatmeal). There are varying opinions on this.

[quote]Mike
p.s.–notice some omega’s have more DHA than EPA and some have the opposite. i read men should take more DHA and women more EPA, (forget where i read it) anyone know why these dosages are different.[/quote]

Read the Flameout thread. I think it’s covered in there.

eengrms76–would i get similar benefit from Power Drive? i thought the fast acting protien was the reason for taking Surge.

2-the 1 body part is a program i got on Cory Holly site.(the consensus was he is reputable) the reason i started it was because i had a pain in my shoulder so my thinking was i could rest it more. damn if my shoulder is much better (was bothering me for months) AND i seem like i gained some strength!

3-i am a big xtend-life fan. quick story–went to a holistic dr. and he asked me to bring in my vitamins as he wanted to compare to the ones he wanted to recommend. (forget the name but only available to professionals) when i did he had his nurse hold mine in one hand and his in another and put them behind her back. (i’m thinking this is a set up) he did some hocus pocus with my arms with resistance (amazing stuff) and other tests.

in between he would ask which vitamin was in which hand. when he was done he said my vitamins were fine, stick with them. if you took the time to visit there site i think you may agree.–just dropped my multi in a glass of water–:o)

being new here, i’m not sold on the quality of there products but you guys/gals are helping me in that direction. you know, everyone has the best product but we all know most are not of the highest quality.
thank you

Mike
my multi’s are enteric coated, so they do not break down in the stomach, would that have any effect on the water test??

eengrms76
just checked, vitamin fully dissolved, approx 1 hr.

[quote]mike59 wrote:
eengrms76–would i get similar benefit from Power Drive? i thought the fast acting protien was the reason for taking Surge.[/quote]

You really don’t need the fast acting protein prior to your workout. Most people use Surge prior for the energy burst, so yes Power Drive can accomplish that.

Well if it worked for you by all means continue. I was just commenting.

[quote]3-i am a big xtend-life fan. quick story–went to a holistic dr. and he asked me to bring in my vitamins as he wanted to compare to the ones he wanted to recommend. (forget the name but only available to professionals) when i did he had his nurse hold mine in one hand and his in another and put them behind her back. (i’m thinking this is a set up) he did some hocus pocus with my arms with resistance (amazing stuff) and other tests.

in between he would ask which vitamin was in which hand. when he was done he said my vitamins were fine, stick with them. if you took the time to visit there site i think you may agree.–just dropped my multi in a glass of water–:o)[/quote]

One I have no idea what that is and two I’m not sure I would ever go back.

[quote]being new here, i’m not sold on the quality of there products but you guys/gals are helping me in that direction. you know, everyone has the best product but we all know most are not of the highest quality.
thank you

Mike[/quote]

I know it can be difficult to welcome in a new brand of products to the mix with any current ones you’re using. Trust the fact that almost everyone who frequents this board is a very loyal Biotest customer and will likely be as long as the company is in existence. I’ve never ordered a single thing I wish I hadn’t. I’ve never had an adverse reaction to a single product. I’ve never bought something here and found a similar produt cheaper elsewhere. I say similar because the quality here is literally higher than any comparable product sold on any store shelf in the world. I can actually say all of that with great confidence.

Also- I don’t work for the company. I just shop here.

[quote]
my multi’s are enteric coated, so they do not break down in the stomach, would that have any effect on the water test??[/quote]

Based on your last post obviously not.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
mike59 wrote:
eengrms76–would i get similar benefit from Power Drive? i thought the fast acting protien was the reason for taking Surge.

You really don’t need the fast acting protein prior to your workout. Most people use Surge prior for the energy burst, so yes Power Drive can accomplish that.

Got it, thanks.

2-the 1 body part is a program i got on Cory Holly site.(the consensus was he is reputable) the reason i started it was because i had a pain in my shoulder so my thinking was i could rest it more. damn if my shoulder is much better (was bothering me for months) AND i seem like i gained some strength!

Well if it worked for you by all means continue. I was just commenting.

3-i am a big xtend-life fan. quick story–went to a holistic dr. and he asked me to bring in my vitamins as he wanted to compare to the ones he wanted to recommend. (forget the name but only available to professionals) when i did he had his nurse hold mine in one hand and his in another and put them behind her back. (i’m thinking this is a set up) he did some hocus pocus with my arms with resistance (amazing stuff) and other tests.

in between he would ask which vitamin was in which hand. when he was done he said my vitamins were fine, stick with them. if you took the time to visit there site i think you may agree.–just dropped my multi in a glass of water–:o)

One I have no idea what that is and two I’m not sure I would ever go back.

ROFLMAO !!

being new here, i’m not sold on the quality of there products but you guys/gals are helping me in that direction. you know, everyone has the best product but we all know most are not of the highest quality.
thank you

Mike

I know it can be difficult to welcome in a new brand of products to the mix with any current ones you’re using. Trust the fact that almost everyone who frequents this board is a very loyal Biotest customer and will likely be as long as the company is in existence. I’ve never ordered a single thing I wish I hadn’t. I’ve never had an adverse reaction to a single product. I’ve never bought something here and found a similar produt cheaper elsewhere. I say similar because the quality here is literally higher than any comparable product sold on any store shelf in the world. I can actually say all of that with great confidence.

Also- I don’t work for the company. I just shop here.

Was starting to wonder :o)
thank you.

my multi’s are enteric coated, so they do not break down in the stomach, would that have any effect on the water test??

Based on your last post obviously not.[/quote]