T Nation

Surge and Lactose Intolerance

I know this has been discussed before but, searching I couldn’t find the archived posts.

I’m growing increasingly lactose intolerant, and downing a quart of milk during my workouts, plus a pint and whey protein shake afterwords is just not making me feel good anymore.

I’ve managed to convince myself that I can afford Surge, but, I want to double check before I do that it will solve my issue. So, what has everyone who is lactose sensitve/intolerant felt about Surge? Does it go down smooth and not cause all of the gastrointestinal and immune system distress that I’m getting with milk?

I’m pretty sure the answer is going to be its a-ok, but, better safe then sorry when it takes only a minute to post here.

Surge is fine.

If you do drink milk then consider Lactaid Milk or Lactose Free Milk. They add lactase to pre-digest lactose. Hood has a milk product that is microfiltered and has very little lactose.

I accidently drank some of my kid’s Organic Milk and I had a gas processing factory till I could get it out of my system. I know what you are going through…

Thanks Tom.

I’ve tried one of those brands of lactaid milk and it went down fine, but, its more expensive, and I generally only drink milk for workouts anyway, so might as well buy Surge.

Ive got a similar problem with lactose intolerance. Has anyone tried something like Lactaid to help deal with? Supposed to help your body process the lactose. I haven’t tried it yet, but I want to. I wonder if it would allow me to drink regular milk if I took that stuff.

Also - you guys that are lactose intolerant, what protein do you use? I use Grow! quite a bit, but it seems to irritate my stomach (I guess it’s the casein and/or whey). I’ll probably still use it on occasion, but I’m getting tired of having a stomach ache after all my protein shakes.

I drink that lactose free milk. It prevent gas and other stomach issues pretty well, but in my case I think I might have a mild allergy to milk so I can only drink so much at a time.

food allergies that come and go are usually due to too much consumption at one time or at times when the stomach lining is less than optimal. the good news is that if this is the case instead of a full blown allergy, you can get rid of it by not drinking milk for 6-8 weeks, then slowly introduce it back into your diet, but not too much at one time.

as for Surge during and after the workout, if you try it, you will not go back. for the Grow!, mix in a serving of the veggie greens (check out the Berardi articles of late) and eat a piece of fruit with it, it will help a lot with digestion i have found (i usually eat an apple with peanut butter - natural, no salt of course - just cut it in half and core it, then scoop of pb and you are gold).

I use Lactaid tablets whenever I have milk products. It works.

I buy Lactaid milk and lactaid cottage cheese because of cost. Back when I did the calculation, the cost of the Lactaid tablets added enough to exceed the total cost of just the Lactaid products themselves.

I have lactose intolerance and the Lactaid works for me. If you have an allergy to some component of milk then that is a different problem.

There’s no Lactose in Surge. It’s fine. I drink Lactose free milk. Just got to remember is they are expensive.

I definitly feel sick to my stomach after drinking Surge. Will it stop me from purchasing the best postworkout formula around? No!

[quote]tall tom wrote:
I use Lactaid tablets whenever I have milk products. It works.

I buy Lactaid milk and lactaid cottage cheese because of cost. Back when I did the calculation, the cost of the Lactaid tablets added enough to exceed the total cost of just the Lactaid products themselves.

I have lactose intolerance and the Lactaid works for me. If you have an allergy to some component of milk then that is a different problem.[/quote]

Thanks for your input, Tom.

I’m pretty certain I have either an intolerance to lactose, or an milk allergy. I’m not totally sure how I can figure out which I have, but I better find out.

Question for anyone who may know - Lets say I have an allergy to milk products, which would include whey & casein, two obviously common types of protein in most of the protein powders available. If I decide to just put up with the side effects (probably not a smart idea), would my body even be able to absorb and benefit from the stuff? Or is it pretty much worthless for me??