T Nation

Surge and Insulin

Hi Bill

I train 4x a week, always used insulin post workout, take SURGE pre, intra and post workout, then post workout insulin along with the shake.
I wonder how many weeks can I use insulin before it begins to lose effect? and how long should I stay without using it?

since I take a shake pre and intra workout that stimulate the release of insulin, post workout insulin injection would be better or pre workout would be better?
thanks

I’m unable to say how fast insulin sensitivity will decrease even if knowing the dose, as I haven’t tracked change in glucose tolerance or fasting glucose in myself or asked any to do it or seen any results. But broadly speaking, substantial use of insulin always has a noticeable effect on insulin sensitivity after a time such as 8 weeks.

A modest dose of insulin though that’s appropriate to the carb intake, such as 4 IU, I think will have much less adverse effect. I have done that many times without noticing any change in fasting glucose, or apparent change judging from how I seem to respond, but not backed up by oral glucose tolerance test.

If dosing is moderate like that, then I don’t think any particular cycling protocols are necessary. If using more than that, I’d suggest at least equal time off as on, but that’s just a general guideline.

Having carbs pre and post (and preferably during) when I use insulin, I do it preworkout from the standpoint of Humulin R having relatively long action, so a preworkout injection covers both pre and post, while post doesn’t do that.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
I’m unable to say how fast insulin sensitivity will decrease even if knowing the dose, as I haven’t tracked change in glucose tolerance or fasting glucose in myself or asked any to do it or seen any results. But broadly speaking, substantial use of insulin always has a noticeable effect on insulin sensitivity after a time such as 8 weeks.

A modest dose of insulin though that’s appropriate to the carb intake, such as 4 IU, I think will have much less adverse effect. I have done that many times without noticing any change in fasting glucose, or apparent change judging from how I seem to respond, but not backed up by oral glucose tolerance test.

If dosing is moderate like that, then I don’t think any particular cycling protocols are necessary. If using more than that, I’d suggest at least equal time off as on, but that’s just a general guideline.

Having carbs pre and post (and preferably during) when I use insulin, I do it preworkout from the standpoint of Humulin R having relatively long action, so a preworkout injection covers both pre and post, while post doesn’t do that.
[/quote]

Bill

How long should off before use insulin again after 8 weeks on?( i use only 4x week)

so i will use humulin r pre workout…

How many IU do you use at a time?

How many IU do you use at a time?[/quote]

i was using 10 iu humalog post workout but now i will use 10 iu humulin r pre workout…why is better right?

so should i use 100gr carbs on workout?

About 100 g carbs is generally an excellent amount when training hard.

About 100 g carbs is generally an excellent amount when training hard.[/quote]

ok Bill but how long time on and off insulin?i always used 8weeks 4x per week

There’s no definite rule on that. With 10 IU at a time, I’d expect some adverse effect on insulin sensitivity to build up with 8 weeks of use. Allowing equal time off would be reasonably conservative, as opinion.

There’s no definite rule on that. With 10 IU at a time, I’d expect some adverse effect on insulin sensitivity to build up with 8 weeks of use. Allowing equal time off would be reasonably conservative, as opinion.[/quote]

What do you think of using metoformin to increase sensitivity and assist in recovery?

what would be the minimum effective dose?

In one way yes; in another way, don’t know.

The yes is that it post-cycle, as well as other times, it provides its usual benefit of increasing insulin sensitivity post-insulin cycle.

But as to whether besides adding an improvement (which it would also add relative to the normal state) it speeds the natural recovery of insulin sensitivity, I have absolutely no knowledge.

What I mean by that is this. Let’s talk about rate of improvement as say X% per month, though it wouldn’t have to be a fixed value. Metformin also just adds some amount. So does metformin, post insulin cycle, both add that amount and increase the rate X? That’s what I’m saying I don’t know. An analogy could be HCG, in cases where testicular function is good, say HCG was used in the last 4 weeks. HCG in PCT would provide its usual addition, but would not improve the rate X. I’m not saying metformin would work against, as HCG does, as I doubt it would work against, I just don’t know if it would speed rate.

It can be worth taking. It’s possible (found in a study) that testosterone level can be reduced which could be an issue for natural use but not of concern on a steroid cycle. However in practice it’s worked very well for naturals so I’m not convinced on the testosterone question.

Usually 500 mg at a time with carb meals or some of them, but not more than usually 1500 or 2000 mg/day. Starting with lower dose such as 250 mg to assess tolerance is best.