Surfing, So. Cal. 6/30 - 7/3

Guys,

I’ve finally recovered from a horrible divorce and I want to learn to surf (I live in Indiana).

I just want to live it up a little, have some fun, do all the things my ex (harpy wench) said were stupid. Like surf, skateboard, get drunk on the beach and chase women, get a tattoo. :slight_smile:

I guess I’m just looking for some advice on where to go, where to stay, etc.,

Thanks

Where exactly in southern CA are you going to be? That would make things easier in pointing you in a good direction.

That’s cool that you want to learn to surf but as a lifelong surfer take my advice and learn proper etiquette. It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to get a lesson or two from someone who will explain proper etiquette. Also, they can point in you in the direction of a beginner’s break and keep you out of the way of more experienced surfers.

Might not be a bad idea to move this to the “Off Topic” section of the site.

Three of my buddies and myself went to Huntington Beach last summer and that’s awesome. We found The Huntington Beach Inn that was $200/night only 4 blocks north of the pier. The nightlife there is awesome and the surf is good too. I highly recommend it.

Sorry to hear about your divorce.

As well as asking here, you can visit some of the bigger surf magazines’ websites and post on their forums with your inquiries as well. Caution: Surfing is addicting!

And go for it with the tattoo!!

Good luck!!

Any beach town will do. Anywhere from Santa Cruz all the way down to San Diego. You can’t go wrong!

I know your from Indiana so we gotta give you a break, but if you want to surf don’t go to SoCal. All the “trick” crap comes from there because they have no waves. If you want to surf (mainland anyway and no Oz) go to NorCal. Steamers Lane or Pleasure or anywhere on the Santa Cruz end of the state is where you can get great waves and good sets. Just bring a wetsuit cause the water ain’t warm.