Supplments That Reduce Cortisol

Are there any natural supplements to reduce cortisol?

Sleep.

Please keep in mind that cortisol is an essential hormone and we would all be very dead without it.

Thats kind of a bullshit answer. I’m sincerely not trying to flame you Five, but I think it would benefit all to hear from some of the resident experts about any supps that do truly inhibit / reduce cortisol.

If the stress / cortisol relationship valid, then such supps can certainly benefit those of us who endure high stress as par for the course of life.

[quote]Five wrote
Sleep.

Please keep in mind that cortisol is an essential hormone and we would all be very dead without it.[/quote]

Phosphatidylserine (PS)

[quote]IFR Pilot wrote:
Thats kind of a bullshit answer. I’m sincerely not trying to flame you Five, but I think it would benefit all to hear from some of the resident experts about any supps that do truly inhibit / reduce cortisol.

If the stress / cortisol relationship valid, then such supps can certainly benefit those of us who endure high stress as par for the course of life.

Five wrote
Sleep.

Please keep in mind that cortisol is an essential hormone and we would all be very dead without it.

[/quote]

I don’t think it’s a bullshit answer. Cortisol does a number of different things, and I think it would be a mistake to try to focus solely on your cortisol levels. However, it’s probably always beneficial to reduce your stress levels, which is almost always mental.

The relationship between cortisol levels and stress has been known for a while, however the relationship between stress and weight control is a stretch. Sure the more stressed out you are the more likely you are to binge or fall into comfort food, but us folks here at T-Nation have more self-control than that and most of us are smart enough not to let our emotions control our food intake. If you are one of those people that can’t control your dietary intake because of emotional issues, your cortisol levels are the least of your concern.