Supplements to Jumpstart Hormones

Whats up,

Well I’ve been around T-Nation for awhile and have filled my head with vast knowledge of training, nutrition, post workout nutrition, and training to be a functional athlete. While I am no expert on any of this I feel quite confident in my knowledge.

My question is this, I am a college athlete who plays ALOT of basketball and have trouble putting muscle on during the season, the last 3 years I put 3-5 lbs of muscle on from April-November in the off seasona nd went from 160 to 181.

I have thought about using M1t’s or something to help get my body into an anobolic state (with some help) and have a great offseason and try to get to 190 or 195, my knowledge of M1t’s is quite good, but I’m wondering if I can pay for something with less sides and get the same results.

Note** Im not interested in any needles :slight_smile:
If thats your thing cool, but not for me.
I have 200 $$ and already possess all the basics like protein, BCAA’s and omega’s

Thanks

If you mean methyl-1-test, that is not a supplement. If you are playing for the school, it is banned anyhow. The reason to your inability to gain mass during the season is in your post: high activity levels, not enough food.

To gain mass you will have to eat more. During highly active periods you will need to eat a lot more.

The reason M1T has side effects is it is a steroid. Usually side effects and gains go hand in hand.

Note: injectable steroids are usually safer than orals as they do not have the 17 alpha alkylation that makes orals hard on the liver.

I wouldn’t do steroids or pro-hormones or anything of that sort, as they’re all probably banned by your country’s collegiate athletic association. Like Peter said, you probably aren’t eating anywhere near as much as you should. How many calories do you consume a day, in-season and off? Do you have a basic diet that you follow? Eat first, supplement later.

The association probably does ban m1t I really was using that as an example (of an expensive substance to purchase) and if it was illegal I would not use it.

I agree you both have great advice thus far, my caloric intake is quite high, I’d say around 3500 on average. part of my problem is my energy level as I do shift work and my sleep patterns get screwed up.

Im wondering what I could add to my protein, bcaa, and omegas.

Whats your advice?

[quote]andruw_doucette wrote:
Im wondering what I could add to my protein, bcaa, and omegas. [/quote]

Food. Sleep.

The association probably does ban m1t I really was using that as an example (of an expensive substance to purchase) and if it was illegal I would not use it.

I agree you both have great advice thus far, my caloric intake is quite high, I’d say around 3500 on average. part of my problem is my energy level as I do shift work and my sleep patterns get screwed up.

Im wondering what I could add to my protein, bcaa, and omegas.

Whats your advice?

[/quote]

more food is what you add. 3500 cals for a 180 lb athlete is not that much.

I’m 179 lbs and wasn’t gaining with 4,000 cals/day and I tend to exercise about 45 mins/day (sometimes 2 hrs with volleyball once a week), it took me upping it to 4500 cals/day to start gaining.

sounds simple i know, but you need to eat more simple as that.

I have 200 $$ and already possess all the basics like protein, BCAA’s and omega’s[/quote]

Take your $200 and go buy some food. You need it.

Not sure you want to put on lots of muscle for basketball, should you be more interested in explosive strength and endurance?

I too am finishing up my last year of collegiate baseball and played basketball in high school. During the season I shrink and it pisses me off. lol I manage to put on size fairly quickly in the off season tho. In the amount of time I see you making more solid gains by supplementing properly as you are and by eating 5000+ cals spreading your fats/carbs/protein accordingly. Lift heavy and try and get enough rest with that combo and you should pack on some solid muscle with no problems and without the need of a steroid/pro-hormone, etc.

Gerdy

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
Not sure you want to put on lots of muscle for basketball, should you be more interested in explosive strength and endurance?[/quote]

I like overpowering smaller guards. And to look good.

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
Not sure you want to put on lots of muscle for basketball, should you be more interested in explosive strength and endurance?[/quote]

You’re half right. This guy needs lots of muscle. Have you seen LeBron, D-Wade, Kobe, or any of the other elite players? They all have big muscles, especially arms (triceps specifically, for shooting).

Like Jehovah said (lol, I just laughed), you need to up your calories. I’m around 170lbs, and 3500 calories is what I used to maintain my weight. I say you do this: increase your caloric, protein, and fatty acid intake. You can do this by eating and supplementing, which is a good balance. If you can afford it, eat more meat and veggies (and throw in salmon if you want a natural fatty acid source). You can take fish oil as a fatty acid supplement. Protein powder is good too, obviously, and BCAAs are definitely a must if you can afford it (after food, of course). Casein or cottage cheese before bed. Do as Jehovah says (another lol) and eat around 4500 cals a day. If you are truly weary of that number, I don’t see a problem with testing 4000. If that doesn’t work, bump it up to 4500.

You will also need significant workout nutrition if you are playing at a high level and for prolonged periods. For each time you play intense basketball, you will have to follow the same protocol as if you were lifting weights for optimal nutrition.

If you play most of a game, you should be taking a workout’s worth of periworkout nutrition. If you played half the game you would take half the dose. Likewise if you play longer, you will need more. Same applies to meals afterwards. The more you played, the more carbohydrate you should include in the form of low GI whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, or steel-cut oats.

You could also use extra low GI carbs with breakfast on days following intense sessions.

These guys are right, you are going to be looking at 4500 or more calories. That is mostly clean calories too. Cheat once in a while if you are lean, otherwise don’t. If you are a high levels athlete then this type of intake is what is indicated to support your recovery and growth.

Don’t be afraid of fat as it will help you meet calorie requirements. Keep sources healthy like extra virgin olive oil, macadamia oil, avocado oil, coconut butter, cocoa butter, organic butter, plain nuts and seeds, omega3 eggs, avocados, and milled flax.

Also at your activity levels, 300-400g protein is not unreasonable with the higher end on high activity days, and the low end on rest days. On rest days you could also get by with around 4000 kcal unless previous day was very high activity, then add at least 500 kcal.

As long as you eat often and lots of food from animal protein, fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and low GI unprocessed carbs with each meal you will support your goals. The supplements you have indicated are good, in addition, beta alanine, creatine (both 5-10g/d depending on activity), ZMA, and something like Surge would round out the rest nicely and give you the results you want if you feed proper.

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
You will also need significant workout nutrition if you are playing at a high level and for prolonged periods. For each time you play intense basketball, you will have to follow the same protocol as if you were lifting weights for optimal nutrition.

If you play most of a game, you should be taking a workout’s worth of periworkout nutrition. If you played half the game you would take half the dose. Likewise if you play longer, you will need more. Same applies to meals afterwards. The more you played, the more carbohydrate you should include in the form of low GI whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, or steel-cut oats.

You could also use extra low GI carbs with breakfast on days following intense sessions.

These guys are right, you are going to be looking at 4500 or more calories. That is mostly clean calories too. Cheat once in a while if you are lean, otherwise don’t. If you are a high levels athlete then this type of intake is what is indicated to support your recovery and growth.

Don’t be afraid of fat as it will help you meet calorie requirements. Keep sources healthy like extra virgin olive oil, macadamia oil, avocado oil, coconut butter, cocoa butter, organic butter, plain nuts and seeds, omega3 eggs, avocados, and milled flax.

Also at your activity levels, 300-400g protein is not unreasonable with the higher end on high activity days, and the low end on rest days. On rest days you could also get by with around 4000 kcal unless previous day was very high activity, then add at least 500 kcal.

As long as you eat often and lots of food from animal protein, fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and low GI unprocessed carbs with each meal you will support your goals. The supplements you have indicated are good, in addition, beta alanine, creatine (both 5-10g/d depending on activity), ZMA, and something like Surge would round out the rest nicely and give you the results you want if you feed proper.[/quote]

Be careful taking in a 2:1 carb protein ratio DURING playing basketball. It’s a bit harsh on digestion. I know I feel 10x better with just a carb drink during training, and leaving the protein + carbs for before and after.

I’ve noticed in myself and other high-lactate athletes, it’s easy to get nauseous from consuming protein during training/competition. It makes getting that protein that much more important after. Also, BCAA’s are a good idea if you’re not taking in protein during.

Yeah, definately more calories. 3500 isnt that much. I would try to squeeze those calories in in two places before really eating larger meals.

Postworkout. More sugar, more protein. You can take extra doses of Surge or just add some extra protein and sugar to what you are allready taking. Then do the old protocal of following it up with more liquid food after 1.5 hours. Then a meal of carbs. Ie: rice. Its doable.

Pre-bed P/F shake. Again, dense liquid calories. Buy some bottled fish oil, some quality olive oil, penut butter, flax seeds, and some nuts or ground nuts if you like thick shakes.

You can get in atleast 1000 calories extra if you do this properly. Also this wont really change the other meals that your eating. So its an easier change to make.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Be careful taking in a 2:1 carb protein ratio DURING playing basketball. It’s a bit harsh on digestion. I know I feel 10x better with just a carb drink during training, and leaving the protein + carbs for before and after.

I’ve noticed in myself and other high-lactate athletes, it’s easy to get nauseous from consuming protein during training/competition. It makes getting that protein that much more important after. Also, BCAA’s are a good idea if you’re not taking in protein during.[/quote]

This is true. I did not mention what to take during the workout. I usually like a BCAA drink and didn’t mention a carb option as I thought they would release the Surge Workout Fuel on the weekend.

Whats up,

Well I’ve been around T-Nation for awhile and have filled my head with vast knowledge of training, nutrition, post workout nutrition, and training to be a functional athlete. While I am no expert on any of this I feel quite confident in my knowledge.

My question is this, I am a college athlete who plays ALOT of basketball and have trouble putting muscle on during the season, the last 3 years I put 3-5 lbs of muscle on from April-November in the off seasona nd went from 160 to 181.

I have thought about using M1t’s or something to help get my body into an anobolic state (with some help) and have a great offseason and try to get to 190 or 195, my knowledge of M1t’s is quite good, but I’m wondering if I can pay for something with less sides and get the same results.

I have 200 $$ and already possess all the basics like protein, BCAA’s and omega’s

Thanks
[/quote]

What does your diet and training look like? I’m guessing not so good. If your diet and training are in order, there is no reason you shouldn’t grow. It almost sounds like you want someone to recommend you start juicing which is a waste of time and money unless you are at your genetic ceiling.

Saturated fats are pretty good at raising hormone levels, but aren’t magic.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
andruw_doucette wrote:
Whats up,

Thanks

What does your diet and training look like? I’m guessing not so good. If your diet and training are in order, there is no reason you shouldn’t grow. It almost sounds like you want someone to recommend you start juicing which is a waste of time and money unless you are at your genetic ceiling.

Saturated fats are pretty good at raising hormone levels, but aren’t magic.

[/quote]

What? If you read my post you would have noticed i stated I wasnt interested in juicing.

Anyway, i appreciate everyones input, I used to be very fat and so putting it back on is tough for me so i hate “bulking” but if thats the best option, than i may bute the bullet and eat ALOT more.

Anyway, i appreciate everyones input, I used to be very fat and so putting it back on is tough for me so i hate “bulking” but if thats the best option, than i may bute the bullet and eat ALOT more.[/quote]

You shouldn’t be afraid of eating more if what you’re eating is good for you. The right diet will keep everything in order all while letting you eat to your heart’s content. Eating right isn’t bad, even as a FFB.