T Nation

Supplements to Aid Healing.

I’m sitting here waiting for a call to see if they can fit me in for surgery for an achilles tendon tear in the next couple of days.

I’m wondering if anyone can suggest supplements that might aid in recovery time. I’m really dreading the thought of all this inactivity. I’ve searched the forums and found people talking about IGF, Deca and tren but I don’t know what those are or if I can pick them up at the local GNC or what. Thanks

I just had an in-step plantar fasciotomy performed 4 weeks ago and my podiatrist was amazed this morning at how well I’ve healed “way ahead of the curve” was the quote. Brief description of that procedure is you get the bottom of your foot sliced open just in front of the heel so that 2 of 3 plantar fascia ligaments can be cut.

I was in a surgical shoe for 2 weeks then the sutures came out and I was released to try to work my way into normal activities as much as tolerated. I’m already back to deadlifting and squatting full weights with no discomfort and have even tried brief running without any pain.

Besides HRT, currently 100 mg test cyp every 5 days with 1/2 mg of arimidex 2x weekly, the only nutritional supplement I added for healing was 1-2 grams of vitamin C daily for help in collagen formation to close that wound. I took no additional supplements other than multi-vitamins. Diet is very clean and fairly protein rich, no junk!

Those supplements you cited aren’t available at GNC or through other legal means. I understand that they might be helpful, but I can attest that a healthy body can recover quite fast on it’s own.

Good luck!

Fish oil to help curb inflammation and BCAAs (especially Glutamine) to help muscle and skin heal more quickly.

Can’t hurt. (Well, the surgery part might.)

IGF is Insulin-like Growth Factor - it can be purchased legally as a “research chemical” but it is an injectable and you need to seriously know what you’re doing.

“Deca” and “tren” are shortened names for anabolic steroids and not available legally and even if they were, to use them safely requires real knowledge.

As for legal means, besides the advice already given, anything you can do to raise your testosterone naturally will be a help. Tribulus is the supplement of choice these days. Found in Alpha Male sold here among other sources.

Don;t forget protien. Your bodyneeds it to repair the tissue. So eat your tuna!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Thanks for all suggestions so far. It seems like they can’t fit me in until Monday the 9th. I’ve got my protein shake powder, Glutamine, L-Arginine, BCAA supplemental tabs, Terrestris, Boswellia and something called Bromelain.

I will keep everyone posted on how my recovery is going. Oh I think I will also be ordering some “Flameout” anti-inflammatory. Later.

I tore two ligaamens in my ankle about three years ago

Few drinks and missed a step, couldn’t walk the next day

Ankle was like a ballon, four days later in the hospital the nurses were calling over each other to look at it as it was so discoloured and big

Doctor said stay off of it for about 6 weeks and then try to use it again

Sports phsyio said get onto it striaght away and twisted hell out of it twice a week until eyes watered

I ate very high protein and was back running (in straight lines only) after four weeks

Physio and protein is what i think done it for me
Physio mostly

Just a quick update…
Had the surgery on Monday. I just woke up this Wednesday morning and already have no pain in leg, so no more pain killers unless it comes back. Still in splint, still doing my dietary program of all previously listed supplements.

The surgery went really well, no complications. I’m guessing working out pays off as far as having good healthy muscle tone when an injury like this occurs. Talk at ya later.

[quote]raybbaby wrote:
Just a quick update…
Had the surgery on Monday. I just woke up this Wednesday morning and already have no pain in leg, so no more pain killers unless it comes back. Still in splint, still doing my dietary program of all previously listed supplements.

The surgery went really well, no complications. I’m guessing working out pays off as far as having good healthy muscle tone when an injury like this occurs. Talk at ya later. [/quote]

Good to hear.

I think working out and keeping in shape will benefit you more then anything else in your recovery.

Plenty of time to surf the nation this week I’m guessing:)

Check these out while you are laid up!

http://www.morningstarhealth.com/store/The-Great-Mender.html

http://www.morningstarhealth.com/store/Shou-Wu-Pian.html

Great for healing!!

Chinese herbs!!

Just an update, I just got back from the doctors. It has been 10 days since my surgery and the splint has been switched for a hard cast I will eventually be allowed to walk on. The doc says the surgery went as well as any he has seen,especially surprising because almost four weeks had elapsed since the injury.

Also he said that the foot will already rest at 90 degrees or “neutral” to the calf, and that is really good too. I’m guessing having the muscle in good shape prior to the injury is paying off in weird ways. Later On.

Protein, BCAA, Fish Oil o.O (Flameout!)