Supplements, Steroids, Oh My!

First of all, sorry if this is in the incorrect forum. I’ve been browsing this site after working out for about a couple of months, and a thought came to my mind. Currently, and forever, I use only one supplement-whey protein (unless you count B-Complex vitamins, Multivitamin, Vitamin C, and Fish Oil as supplementation).

I’m working very hard in the gym, 7 days a week at 50+ hour manual labor job to show people that with a balanced, correct diet and hard work you can achieve the physique you want (Albeit, I’m not sure about a Ronnie Coleman physique of course).

Do you think that once I achieve a popular physique* people will realize that you don’t need to get things too complicated with overzealous amounts of supplements(I wonder if the Greeks used NO-XPLODE or Andriol) or steroids? Perhaps I will end up failing in my attempt of doing so?

In the gist of this, it’s a question. Do we really need all of this supplements/steroid use? By the way, keep the responses mature-If I wanted to hear “ur teh suck” I’d go to some other website. I just want to hear different opinions on the matter.

*Like that of Arnold or other popular bodybuilders.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
*Like that of Arnold or other popular bodybuilders.[/quote]

You won’t get the body of Arnold with a normal lifestyle and without steroids. Arnold used steroids, and he had unbelievable genetics, so how do you expect anyone to attain that kind of development without drugs?

Side note: of your list, protein powder is the only one I would consider NOT to be a supplement. It is food. The others are supplements.

Yes and no.

Also, it doesn’t seem wise to lump supplement use in with steroids.

I don’t think you can get ahnold’s body without super genetics and some drug use. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have a great body. You can attain a great body with the things you take, but it takes time and a much closer attention to your diet, training and recovery. It is possible though.

Of course you can achieve a good physique to the best of your genetic potential with nothing but hard work and good, clean eating. But, as human beings, we are always striving for bigger, better, faster and more in everything we do. We are both social and competitive beings.

In our efforts to move forward, and as a result of trial and error, we used nature first and then technology to improve our lives and our bodies. If the Greeks had it to train their athletes, they would have used it.

There are countless personal enhancements available to us today, ranging from steroids to plastic surgery to improve our bodies and performance. It’s your choice. It’s also your choice to be judgemental of others or self righteous about your own choices.

It’s a free country. If we were all complacent and natural instead of competitive and cooperative, I’d be grunting to you in a cave right now.

ur teh suck.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
It’s a free country. If we were all complacent and natural instead of competitive and cooperative, I’d be grunting to you in a cave right now. [/quote]

Haha. It’s funny because it’s true.

why do you care to prove to others that supplements and steriods are not needed?
Why should anyone beleive you have never taken anything if you say so?
are you somehow better than everyone else if you never took any form of supplement?
I don’t really get the point you are trying to make.

Just do what your doing and work hard at it.

[quote]KO421 wrote:
why do you care to prove to others that supplements and steriods are not needed?
Why should anyone beleive you have never taken anything if you say so?
are you somehow better than everyone else if you never took any form of supplement?
I don’t really get the point you are trying to make.

Just do what your doing and work hard at it.
[/quote]

Very true. I wouldn’t expect to become a poster child for natural training in any case. There are plenty of [ostensibly] natural competitors with tremendous physiques. Though they are inspiring and may provide additional motivation, it’s pretty doubtful they make any significant difference in the lives of any trainee. Those that are even aware of them.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
In the gist of this, it’s a question. Do we really need all of this supplements/steroid use?[/quote]

You currently do not have an enviable physique. So, yeah, you probably do need steroids.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:

I’m working very hard in the gym, 7 days a week at 50+ hour manual labor job .[/quote]

This is the formula for stagnation or even regression.

You are headed for burnout.

It’s a harsh reality but unfortunately to make the kinds of gains you are talking about will require the use of drugs.

Most of the so called “natural” bodybuilders with physiques similar to those that take drugs have at some point taken them and may well still take some of the designers that are currently undetectable by current drug tests.

I have a friend who competes in the naturals and when I ask him if he really is natural his response usually is, “I’m natural today”, and we usually have a good laugh about it.

I know I’m probably about to draw out the steroid haters here but the answer is if you are willing to settle for a “good” physique then many years of hard work, meticulous detail to diet and no supplements will work, but if you want to look like a pro bodybuilder and you don’t want to wait 5 or 10 years for it to happen if ever then drugs and supplements are your only real alternative and that is the truth like it or not.

Take note that I don’t have anything against anyone who uses steroids. With that out of the way, I agree with everyone else that you would need more to get an Arnold physique. I was just wondering what people’s views were on staying natural/taking steroids/taking supplements.

As for me heading towards a burn out-I know how to read my body and I’m getting plenty of rest, so there will be no burning out. So far in a three month period, I only had to stop one day because I was simple too tired. Epsom salt baths once a week help me to never get overtrained. It’s all about mind over matter.

Like they all say-I’d rather be overtrained than undertrained.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:

As for me heading towards a burn out-I know how to read my body and I’m getting plenty of rest, so there will be no burning out. So far in a three month period, I only had to stop one day because I was simple too tired. Epsom salt baths once a week help me to never get overtrained. It’s all about mind over matter.

Like they all say-I’d rather be overtrained than undertrained.[/quote]

There is a lot to be said for overtraining with burning out being the least of it. It isn’t merely just being tired. It can be a very serious physiological state. Mild overtraining causes muscle wasting and may cause you not to progress but to regress, serious overtraining can set you up for injuries that can set you back months, years or worse. Don’t take its effects lightly.

Take if from someone who has been there more than once it’s not worth it to over train. Training six or seven days a week for an indefinite amount of time will take its toll eventually. I only train like that about 6 to 8 weeks before a show, but no longer than 12 weeks. Be warned…

[quote]Fulmen wrote:

to show people that with a balanced, correct diet and hard work you can achieve the physique you want [/quote]

“To show people”, if that is the reason you work out, you don’t have a clue. You come across as being self righteous, and without a reason.

Do you honestly think that people will actually give a damn.

Oh! Just like Arnold. How many people do you see walking around that look like Arnold did in his prime? IMHO even with AAS use, a physique like Arnold’s is an anomaly that few could come close to obtain.

I use to have a “holier than thou” attitude about AAS too but it was just ignorance on my part for believing all the bullshit and negative propaganda. Once I hit 35 and realized I hadn’t achieved my goals after 15 years of natural training, I actually started doing my own research on the subject and decided I was ready to shift the results into overdrive.

A year later and 20 lbs bigger, I really don’t feel too guilty about sacrificing my “itegrity”. I am glad I waited until I felt I had gotten as far as I could naturally though.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:

Like they all say-I’d rather be overtrained than undertrained.[/quote]

Wow. I’m exactly the opposite. I’d rather be undertraining and still going in the right direction than overtraining and going nowhere.

When I was young, I wasted years of my life over training. But I had to learn for myself what I was doing didn’t work for me.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
I’ve been browsing this site after working out for about a couple of months, [/quote]

Let us know in a couple of years if you still have the same view!