T Nation

Supplements On a Budget

I’m just starting to incorporate supplements into my nutrional and fitness routine. It seems every other article I read suggest a different supplement for a different purpose. As much as I’d love to just do it all, the bank account really isn’t going to allow that.

So for someone trying to lose weight as a primary goal, and gain muscle as a secondary goal (still able to do both due to newbie gains), what would you recommend on a $150-$200 a month budget?

Check out this article by TC:

A Stack For Every Occasion:

It will help explain the supplements to take based on your goals. Then check out the different articles on the different supplements… they explain a lot of the why behind all the Biotest supps sold here on this site.

I’m sure lots of the others here will have more suggestions also if you define your goals.

Best to you!
~LM

[quote]Chef Lisa Marie wrote:
I’m sure lots of the others here will have more suggestions also if you define your goals.

Best to you!
~LM[/quote]

Thanks,

My basic short term goal, is to lose approx. 20lbs of fat. I started last january at 220lbs, with very little muscle. I’m now sitting at 210lbs at 5’10’’, my bench is up from reps of 120ish to reps of 185, to give you an idea of how much muscle i’ve managed to gain while losing 10 lbs.

My long term goal is to get to single digit body fat % while maintaining a solid muscle base. But I know this will take a long time and a lot of hard work.

I’ve read a lot of the supplement articles already, but they rarely take price into account. And even looking at the product info they rarely tell you how long it will last.

You often see the question of “if you had to chose only 3 supplements what would they be?”, but what I want to know is “if you only had $200 to spend in a month on supplements, what will get you the most bang for your buck?”.

First thing I would buy is a quality protein powder and second is a fish oil supplement. Those both are fairly cheap so then you’ve got room to play with. My next suggestion is creatine as this is slightly cheaper than air.

After that it’s up to you what you want but don’t bother with fat burners or test boosters and the like till you are pretty darn sure you’ve got your diet covered.

ie spend money on STEAK!

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
First thing I would buy is a quality protein powder and second is a fish oil supplement. Those both are fairly cheap so then you’ve got room to play with. My next suggestion is creatine as this is slightly cheaper than air.

After that it’s up to you what you want but don’t bother with fat burners or test boosters and the like till you are pretty darn sure you’ve got your diet covered.

ie spend money on STEAK! [/quote]

Excellent advice.

$150/month is a big budget at least to me (poor college student). I agree with scott offered, I would also add multivitamins to the list

Actually if losing fat is your primary goal, I can’t speak highly enough of green tea extract along with the other things I’ve mentioned. Unless you are a protein fiend(like me ha) you should have plenty of money to accomodate those things.

For you’re goals:

  1. Protien powder (preferably whey)

  2. Multivitamin

  3. Green Tea

  4. CLA

  5. BCAA’s

And if you can’t fit it in, consider caffeine for an energy boost.

I normally would recommend Creatine ethyl-ester hcl, but since you’re focus is on fat loss, I don’t think it’s necessary.

[quote]FreedomFighterXL wrote:
For you’re goals:

  1. Protien powder (preferably whey)

  2. Multivitamin

  3. Green Tea

  4. CLA

  5. BCAA’s

And if you can’t fit it in, consider caffeine for an energy boost.

I normally would recommend Creatine ethyl-ester hcl, but since you’re focus is on fat loss, I don’t think it’s necessary. [/quote]

What the fuck??? You’re 15-16 6’5" 155 and you talk like you’ve been training for 20 years. Creatine ethyl ester hcl??? Less time reading more time eating.

Thanks for the advise all. I appreciate the help.

The first two things I’d advise people to get are Whey and fish oil pills.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
FreedomFighterXL wrote:
For you’re goals:

  1. Protien powder (preferably whey)

  2. Multivitamin

  3. Green Tea

  4. CLA

  5. BCAA’s

And if you can’t fit it in, consider caffeine for an energy boost.

I normally would recommend Creatine ethyl-ester hcl, but since you’re focus is on fat loss, I don’t think it’s necessary.

What the fuck??? You’re 15-16 6’5" 155 and you talk like you’ve been training for 20 years. Creatine ethyl ester hcl??? Less time reading more time eating.[/quote]

Do you need a picture or something to know where I’m coming from?

I’m actually 6’ 3’’ to be exact, but in terms of how long it sounds like I’ve been training, I don’t think that was too elaborate of a post was it?

everyone quotes fish oils - which ones? on budget that is, and available in the UK?
and whats the MG daily recommendation for the DHAs and EPAs?

thanks ;]