T Nation

Supplements for Sports

Alright so im looking for advice on what supplements to take for the offseason im looking to get my strength up not so much my weight. if you have any suggestions let me know.
thanks

[quote]heavyhitter70 wrote:
Alright so im looking for advice on what supplements to take for the offseason im looking to get my strength up not so much my weight. if you have any suggestions let me know.
thanks[/quote]

BETA-7…Fish Oil…Whey Protein…PWO made up of Whey Protein with Creatine and Hershey Syrup…and lots of hard work, dedication, and sleep…eat right, and throw in some cardio here and there…maybe 2 or 3 times a week to help keep weight off…keep incline on treadmill around 13ish and speed between 3-4mph for about 20 minutes…lift big, keep your 3 main lifts, bench, squat, and deadlift…lift hard and heavy!! hope this helped a bit…if you give me some of your numbers and where you want to end up id be glad to help out some more…PM if you want more in depth workouts and what not…good luck bro

Metabolic Drive is the best protein shake ever.
I’ve found this to be true in terms of muscle gains and taste.

I’ve found creatine to be over-rated.

N.O. Products only work because they have a ton of caffeine in them. Spike Energy drink has even more caffeine.

I’ve taken many different Omega-3 suppliments and I don’t feel like they do much for me. You’re better off spending your money on real fish and oatmeal.

If you’re going to spend money on a multivitamin, then you might as well go all out and get Animal Pak. It’s got as much Zinc as ZMA, Essential Fatty Acids, Amino Acids, and super-doses of Vitamins C, B, and E. Some of the stuff that Universal sells is worthless but it’s surprising how complete this product is and how many products it replaces (Multivitamin + Omega-3s + BCAA + ZMA). I’m sure people will disagree with me on this.

How much can you afford?

(In no particular order)

  1. Whey
  2. Casein
  3. Creatine
  4. Fish oil
  5. BCAAs
  6. Beta-alanine (BETA-7)
  7. ZMA

But most of all, you should eat well and train appropriately. Also, what sport are you training for?

im training for college football i cant afford to much but i can afford some stuff

[quote]heavyhitter70 wrote:
im training for college football i cant afford to much but i can afford some stuff[/quote]

Okay. Go for protein (casein and whey), fish oil, and creatine. Take the creatine all the way up until a week or two before training camp starts. Load up (10g) the first week or two, then take 5g a day after that. Eat well, too.

What level of football are you going to play in?

its a small naia school but im kinda short for a lineman so im just happy that i get to play at the next level

[quote]heavyhitter70 wrote:
its a small naia school but im kinda short for a lineman so im just happy that i get to play at the next level[/quote]

Ah yeah, it’s pretty cool nonetheless. Congrats on it. What line do you play, offense or defense?

oline im probably gunna play center

[quote]heavyhitter70 wrote:
oline im probably gunna play center[/quote]

Ah, good stuff. Center was fun to play. I played every position imaginable on the like, except DE and Joker (hybrid DE/LB). You probably don’t need the training advice, but I’ll give you a tidbit anyway: focus on olympic lifts, especially clean and jerks. You want to be explosive with your upper body and be able to sustain and move a great deal of weight with your lower body.

Okay, that’s all.

thanls for the advice

Lol, no problem. Sorry if it was unwanted. My brother is playing D3 ball starting in the fall and I’m gonna be helping him train over the summer. I should’ve transferred with him.

I can’t give beta-alanine high enough marks, I dominated my tryout last weekend because of the little recovery time we had, and I was good for at least one hard sprinting play per shift. I forgot to take it during satruday, and I was wondering wtf was going on during sunday’s skate when I no longer felt like superman.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
I can’t give beta-alanine high enough marks, I dominated my tryout last weekend because of the little recovery time we had, and I was good for at least one hard sprinting play per shift. I forgot to take it during satruday, and I was wondering wtf was going on during sunday’s skate when I no longer felt like superman.[/quote]

you taking Beta-7 or a beta-alanine powder?

-Matt

thanks for all the advice guys