Supplements For Serious Mass

I’ve been training for about a year and a half now. I wrestled in high school and naturally I weighed around 160lbs or so and then cut weight to get down to 145lbs. I just finished my freshmen year in college and weigh 175lbs and trying to get up to 185-190.

I’ve taken all kinds of creatine, my nutrition is very good, but it’s been hard to put on serious mass. I was thinking of taking either Methoxy-7, maybe even Carbolin 19. What are some possible supplement suggestions to add some serious mass?

You’re young, you have enough T in your body to put on mass. You’re just not eating enough. Check out Massive Eating parts I and II.

Hmm, I think what you are really going to hear is that you simply need to eat more.

I know that isn’t a very fancy answer, but you have to get enough calories to put on mass, or it won’t matter what supplements you take.

However, once the diet contains enough quality calories, I guess supplements might help with partitioning and such.

[quote]B-Mac13 wrote:
I’ve been training for about a year and a half now. I wrestled in high school and naturally I weighed around 160lbs or so and then cut weight to get down to 145lbs. I just finished my freshmen year in college and weigh 175lbs and trying to get up to 185-190.

I’ve taken all kinds of creatine, my nutrition is very good, but it’s been hard to put on serious mass. I was thinking of taking either Methoxy-7, maybe even Carbolin 19. What are some possible supplement suggestions to add some serious mass? [/quote]

Hey bud,
You’ve made some great progress from high school. I think with the proper adjustments your goals should be fairly easy, hell they might be easy enough that you will want to get bigger.

We are talking supplements here for gains but you are missing my two favorites: Surge + Low-Carb Grow!. These are the first two that I would include in any supplement program before moving on.

I have to agree with the other posts in that you probably aren’t eating enough, and that really is the key. You could have all the testosterone you want but if you aren’t eating enough the stuff doesn’t build on its own.

When it comes to anabolic eating I consider the sources of John Berardi and David Barr. Not to discredit any other contribs, but these are the two authors I am most familar with. David Barr will be on Prime Time tonight so I highly suggest you pick his brain for a few tips to really peak not just what you eat but when you eat it. I worked through some of Barr’s advice on Prime Time and my performance and recovery have significantly improved. Turns out, I was about 2,000 kcals below where I should have been and my pre-bed meal was sub-par. Optimized eating is the key, it just makes the supplements hone in and really knock out your goal. The stuff is great either way but man, a stack isn’t a stack if you aren’t getting the nutrients.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I eat six meals a day with atleast 500 calories a meal. I know that there’s no optimal amount of calories for a person to eat, and that it’s a case by case situation. However, would you say that I’m currently not eating enough? If that’s the case, then any help as for ways to increase my current calorie intake would be appreciated.

My diet currently consists of chicken, whole wheat bread, whole weat pasta, yogurt, cereal, beef, flax seed, peanut butter, oatmeal, fruits, vegetables, and protein powder.

If the 3000 kCal/day are not making you grow, kick it up to 3500. If that does not work, try 4000, 4500, etc.

3000 kCal is not very much food if you have a decent amount of muscle and are trying to gain mass.

[quote]B-Mac13 wrote:
My diet currently consists of chicken, whole wheat bread, whole weat pasta, yogurt, cereal, beef, flax seed, peanut butter, oatmeal,and protein powder.[/quote]

Very solid base so far.

Lets go with this:
Throw in 1 fruit and 1 veggie with every meal. That will add another 80-100 kcal per meal so ~600 more kcal p/ day. Thats a great boost and we will assess your progress from there. Generally I like to add 250-500 kcals at a time when assessing my daily kcal needs. Lets see if you get some unwanted fat gain over the next two weeks and go from there. The added fruits and veggies should be a really kicker in your diet.

Are you using Surge?

My favorite way to get calories is to add sucrose to my protein drinks. I have about 4 of these a day, and you can even think of it as “supplementation” if you want. :wink:

In addition to tasting great, it also directly helps improve protein synthesis.

Cheers

Tri and Barr, thanks for the advice. I’ll give it a shot and see how it goes. In trying to gain the weight, does the protein and fats at night and carbs and protein in the day still hold it’s ground?

Personally I prefer to have carbs at night, otherwise I’ll wake up prematurely and have a hard time getting back to sleep.

When I cut, I’ll be all over P+F at night. It seems to work for many people.

If you’re trying to bulk but are sensitive to carbs, go with P+F at night. Otherwise forget macronutrients and just get Calories!

[quote]B-Mac13 wrote:
Tri and Barr, thanks for the advice. I’ll give it a shot and see how it goes. In trying to gain the weight, does the protein and fats at night and carbs and protein in the day still hold it’s ground? [/quote]

[quote]B-Mac13 wrote:
Tri and Barr, thanks for the advice. I’ll give it a shot and see how it goes. In trying to gain the weight, does the protein and fats at night and carbs and protein in the day still hold it’s ground? [/quote]

Many swear by it. In the Massive Eating reloaded it is emphasized that adding fruits and veggies to your P+F meals are good. Important to note, Dave Barr has been introducing some data that puts a bit of a twist on our insulin sensitivity and the post-workout window. This could mean that the structure of P+F/P+C is better based around the time you workout than a set time of day. For that I’d refer to him though…