T Nation

Supplements for Increased Work Capacity

I am going to be going through a very difficult pre-season for football in about two weeks and i am looking to order supplements(preferably Biotest) that will work well together to increase my work capacity. So far I’m thinking about loading creatine, Beta-7, and maybe some Rhodiola Rosea if I feel that I am overtrained.
Do you have any other recommendations that will help me?

Creatine and Beta-7 would be the way to go IMO, that is until they release Surge Workout Fuel.

Yeah, Creatine, BETA-7, Carbolin 19, BCAA’s, and even regular Surge until the other one is released will keep glycogen stores high during prolonged football workouts leading to more endurance and higher work capacity.

D

I’ve started using ribose post workout with some good results… supposed to speed ATP production. Figure it can’t hurt. And some glycine to lower cortisol levels is always a good thing.

Do you think that something like ZMA would be helpful? I think it says on the site that if you are under intense stress you probably need it. We just got a new coach and he is an absolute psycho.

“Zinc and magnesium deficiencies are common in the general population and even more prevalent in athletes. To illustrate the point, in 1998, the mineral status of over 250 NFL players was tested. Over 70% of the players were either depleted or deficient in both zinc and magnesium. It sounds almost unbelievable because of all the attention we give to good nutrition, but most athletes and active people are deficient in zinc and magnesium which results in decreased hormone levels and diminished strength and power.”

ZMA is a cheap supp that anyone can add to their list. Its def. something you should think about picking up if your playing/training for any high intensity sports such as football

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
I’ve started using ribose post workout with some good results… supposed to speed ATP production. Figure it can’t hurt. And some glycine to lower cortisol levels is always a good thing. [/quote]

There’s literature research demonstrating ribose’s ability to improve work capacity. John Berardi also had some research, whether formal and published or in the course of work with athletes I don’t recall, which was very impressive.

A lot is needed. The proven dose is 15 grams per day. It probably should be taken every day rather than just workout days.

Fairly workable prices can be found when buying in fairly large containers. For example I buy the NutraBio brand in the 1 kilo size, which is good for 2 months at that dosage rate.

If for some reason using only one, Beta-7 is better I think but the combination is better than either alone. Antioxidants (such as Biotest Superfood, and I think Vitamin C) also help, and creatine may help in this regard and is surely cheap enough.

If CNS fatigue is a limiting factor, which it may well be, Power Drive followed by Spike Shooter pre-workout helps me considerably. I also add half a tablespoon of acetyl-L-carnitine to the Power Drive (along with the Superfood and Vitamin C), which the ALC admittedly being kind of expensive. That addition isn’t necessary though for good results.

Also, keeping blood glucose up improves work capacity, I think. For a long workout (such as 2 hours) I refuel with Surge at the 1 hour point or sometimes Surge plus added glucose, and in any case start with Surge or sometimes Surge with added glucose.

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
I’ve started using ribose post workout with some good results… supposed to speed ATP production. Figure it can’t hurt. And some glycine to lower cortisol levels is always a good thing. [/quote]

If its upping ATP production why not down it pre workout along with creatine and beta-7?

Particularly with things that exist in the body already in fairly large amounts, it’s not unusual that the only way one can get valuably-higher levels in the cells at the time of working out is to take a good amount of the supplement regularly over time.

For example, the human body contains probably a hundred or more grams of creatine, or at least near that. So there is no way that just taking say 5 grams pre-workout is going to boost by any great percentage the amount of creatine in muscle at the time of the workout.

However, take five grams a day every day over time, and after a while the amount taken is very significant compared to the total in the body.

A similar sort of thing is true with beta-alanine. It takes time for the body to build resulting higher levels of carnosine. Just taking a few tabs preworkout is not going to cut it.

I don’t know how much ribose there is in the body, but it does seem to take a few days of use at 15 grams per day before the beneficial effect is seen.

As to why post rather than pre workout, there may be no difference, as ultimately the question is what levels are built up to in the body and the same intake per day may yield the same total outcome. On the other hand, nutrients taken post-workout may be taken into muscle better so this may be more efficient.

Personally, for example, I divide ribose and creatine intake into pre and post workout. But I am not saying there must be an advantage compared to doing only one or the other.

I love it…Bill Roberts is posting in the supplements forum. This just made my day.

Thanks, Trenchant! :slight_smile: