T Nation

Supplements for Hypothyroidism?

Looking for some advice here.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 98 or 99, and have never been able to get my TSH level to the ideal. It is always at the high end of the normal range. My doctors refuse to increase my dose of synthroid because the .2mg I take a day is the upper limit.

Can anyone recommend a supplement (or food) to increase thyroid activity?

I’m not sure if it would interfere with your meds or not, but HOT-ROX is superior for increasing thyroid procution. I’m not a doctor, though.

Hopefully someone more versed with your condition and treatment will be able to provide a better answer. (Calling Cy. . .)

[quote]RINO wrote:
Looking for some advice here.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 98 or 99, and have never been able to get my TSH level to the ideal. It is always at the high end of the normal range. My doctors refuse to increase my dose of synthroid because the .2mg I take a day is the upper limit.

Can anyone recommend a supplement (or food) to increase thyroid activity? [/quote]

Your current dosage is fairly high, that’s true. Anyhow, taking Maximum Strength HOT-ROX can be beneficial. In fact, it may likely increase the peripheral conversion of the exogenous T4 you’re taking now to T3, which is much more active, metabolically speaking. On the other hand, this also technically could increase the risk for cardiovascular side effects and so forth. The likelihood is low but it’s worth pointing out. So, if you’re going to take the supplement and medication concurrently, I’d recommend starting out with 1 capsule daily of the HOT-ROX, assessing tolerance after 3-5 days of use and if all is well, move up to 2 capsules and repeat until you reach the recommended dosage.

RINO:

Are you aware that certain foods can play havoc with your Thyroid? Let me know!

Thanks guys.

I’ve done some research and found that broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and some other foods I don’t eat often can have a negative effect on thyroid function, as can caffeine. The caffeine could be a problem because I work shifts and drink coffee all day (and night).

Will the caffeine in HOT-ROX negatively effect my thyroid function?Should I try something like Spike for alertness and switch to decaf? Will mixing the HOT-ROX and Spike make each of them less effective? And, finally, can supplementing with L-Tyrosine be useful?

[quote]RINO wrote:
Thanks guys.

I’ve done some research and found that broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and some other foods I don’t eat often can have a negative effect on thyroid function, as can caffeine. The caffeine could be a problem because I work shifts and drink coffee all day (and night).

Will the caffeine in HOT-ROX negatively effect my thyroid function?Should I try something like Spike for alertness and switch to decaf? Will mixing the HOT-ROX and Spike make each of them less effective? And, finally, can supplementing with L-Tyrosine be useful?[/quote]

The caffeine in HOT-ROX will not negatively affect thyroid function. The amount in HOT-ROX is very small to begin with.

I would not take HOT-ROX and Spike concurrently.

In terms of your condition, I have not seen any data supporting the idea that tyrosine would be of any benefit.

Would Myalgistat be helpful in this area as well? It seems the main purpose of Myalgistat is to increase conversion of T4 into T3 in the peripheral tissues.

[quote]ChrisPowers wrote:
Would Myalgistat be helpful in this area as well? It seems the main purpose of Myalgistat is to increase conversion of T4 into T3 in the peripheral tissues.[/quote]

Yes, it would be helpful as well.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
RINO:

Are you aware that certain foods can play havoc with your Thyroid? Let me know![/quote]

Help us ZEB, show us the light!!!