Supplements for Athletes Over 40?

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this board for years and really like the scientific bend to all the articles. I have followed the advice of many contributors over the years and it all really works a long as it is applied.

This got me wondering. Does anyone know of supplements for athletes over 40? I see a lot of stuff for the younger crowd. I am 42 and I do not recover like I used to.

Thanks in advance!!

Well, I’m 39 in a few weeks and my good health and vigor supps are REZ-V, FA3, Flameout, Superfood, Curcumin 500, and ReceptorMax. Now I use other supps from Biotest, but the aforementioned ones I feel are vital to good health and keeping a man full of vim and vigor well into their later years.

D

Cal/mag/zinc, fish oil with Vit D, wheat germ oil, maybe MSM for joints and good food.

Well, let’s see:

CoQ10, D-3, Flameout, Chromium Picolinate, ALA, Alpha Male, Resveratrol, beta-alanine, l-glutamine, ZMA, quercetin, L-Leucine, and Superfood.

For sleep, GABA, 5-HTP, and melatonin.

BCAAs for training.

Except for the BCAAs, Flameout, Alpha Male, and Superfood, I tend to buy everything else elsewhere.

Thanks for all the replies. I have been doing much of the same on a more limited scale. I was thinking more of a 1 stop supplement?

Any thoughts?

[quote]alabita wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I have been doing much of the same on a more limited scale. I was thinking more of a 1 stop supplement?

Any thoughts?[/quote]

The only thing I know of that’s a one-stop supplement is tons of healthy food. :slight_smile: Short of that, there’s no miracle pill.

Curcumin. I really can’t believe how effective it’s been for me. Hijack alert. DCA, do you recommend the vitamin D with the fish oil cause of your albinoism,ie, indoor’s a lot or do you recommend it even for those in the sun a lot.

I tried Circumin (not the T-Nation stuff, but the same dose), and really didn’t notice anything over and above the Flameout.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Curcumin. I really can’t believe how effective it’s been for me. Hijack alert. DCA, do you recommend the vitamin D with the fish oil cause of your albinoism,ie, indoor’s a lot or do you recommend it even for those in the sun a lot.[/quote]

Shoot - if you have the benefit of beautiful sunny weather all the year around and live near the equator, you don’t need the kind of fish oil with Vit D. But that ain’t most of North America. You pretty much have to live at LA level and below to get enough sunlight to make your own D3 if you’re light-skinned. And dark-skinned people pretty much have to live ON the equator to get enough ultra-violet of sufficient strength to convert cholesterol to Vitamin D in sufficient amounts.

Add to this the fact that it’s extremely difficult to overdose Vit D (something North of 25,000 I.U. - wayyy North) it certainly can’t hurt to get it in fish oil as well as from sunlight.

How much D do you take? I think I’m taking 8000-10,000 IU / day, and I love it. Great for my mood!

[quote]mcl wrote:
How much D do you take? I think I’m taking 8000-10,000 IU / day, and I love it. Great for my mood![/quote]

You’re right on the money, mcl.

There are people alive after 40? shit…

[quote]Nate112 wrote:
There are people alive after 40? shit…[/quote]

You’ll find out.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:
Nate112 wrote:
There are people alive after 40? shit…

You’ll find out.[/quote]

You hope.

41 here. Regular Multi and Fish Oil daily. Protein shakes between meals and that’s pretty much it.

For me, the real keys to youth are lifting, living AND fucking like you’re 25!

Right on jimbo, I’m 44 tomorrow and I still feel like I’m in my twenties, even stronger. I don’t notice that recuperation has slowed, but my training is a lot smarter than when I was younger for sure.

Oh, as far as supps: fish, flax, cla, multi, protein powder, creatine. Whey during the day and Casein at bedtime along with ZMA…that’s it.

How’s that CLA work? I’ve been reading up on it, even though I eat grass-fed bison quite a bit.