T Nation

Supplements for an Ectomorph

Need to know what to stack as a 42 year old ecto.

Not to sound like a sarcastic prick, but FOOD.

Honestly.

If you’re a true ectomorph and hypertrophy is your goal you need to keep eating and eating…to add more logs than the fire can burn out.

A quality weight gainer and some sort of oil blend might be in order.

Thanks for the response.

My problem is that I fatten up around the waist and start to look like crap. I tried to eat 5 times a day and gained 10 lbs, but the 10 lbs was crap in my intestines and I started looking puffy around the face and under the chin. After taking a few dumps I quick dropped down to 200 lbs instead of 210. Talk about frustrating! lololol!!

BTW the avatar is me after a good pump. I did chest and shoulders and took the picture after the workout. Not too impressive I know. Whats worse is when the pump wears off. Then I look like a little donk.

lolololol…

What kind of food have you been eating?

Do a site search for John Berardi’s “Massive Eating”. I think you would find it of benefit.

Some so-called “hard gainers” find it difficult to scarf down the required amount of food. You might want to look into purchasing some quality digestive enzyme tablets. Look for ones containing bromelain and papain (extracts from pineapple and papaya). They don’t work for everyone, but they’re usually dirt cheap and worth a try.

Best of luck

Thanks for the info

Best

[quote]PhDguy wrote:
BTW the avatar is me after a good pump. [/quote]

When I first read that I thought you said “a good dump”.

You know, gaining a bunch of weight from bloating and shit does NOT = fat.

lol…I agree. My point was that eating so much was useless to me as I lost it all by crapping. Im just trying to figure out how to put on muscle weight instead of blubber or crap in my intestines. I guess I’m the worlds first skinny - fat guy.

:smiley:

[quote]PhDguy wrote:
lol…I agree. My point was that eating so much was useless to me as I lost it all by crapping. Im just trying to figure out how to put on muscle weight instead of blubber or crap in my intestines. I guess I’m the worlds first skinny - fat guy.

:-D[/quote]

What?

You somehow want to gain weight without actually contributing to the creation of more shit in your intestines? Are you expecting a muscle transplant? If you gain fat so easily, why the hell do you think you are such an ectomorph?

I wouldn’t expect to make much progress at all the way you think right now.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
PhDguy wrote:

What?

You somehow want to gain weight without actually contributing to the creation of more shit in your intestines? Are you expecting a muscle transplant? If you gain fat so easily, why the hell do you think you are such an ectomorph?

I wouldn’t expect to make much progress at all the way you think right now.[/quote]

lol…

So I need more shit?

lol…

Ive always been naturally skinny. The fat around the waste didnt start happening until I hit 35. Trying to figure out how to bulk up without the fatty action.

[quote]PhDguy wrote:
Professor X wrote:
PhDguy wrote:

What?

I wouldn’t expect to make much progress at all the way you think right now.

lol…

So I need more shit?

lol…

Ive always been naturally skinny. The fat around the waste didnt start happening until I hit 35. Trying to figure out how to bulk up without the fatty action.[/quote]

When I started putting on weight I was shitting 3x/day which sucked, but my body has adapted. Give it some time, sounds like you need to make better food choices when eating more and that will help.

Yesterday a friend said looked like I was gaining size and asked what I was taking. I could have said, fish oil, protein, creatine, but the real answer and what I said was “4800 cals/day of food”

Thanks JF,

4800 calories? Wow that seems like a lot. Do you have a menu outline you can post?

Thanks!

Eat more caloric dense food and you’ll shit less. Nuts/Seeds/Oils/Shakes

[quote]Dubbz wrote:
Eat more caloric dense food and you’ll shit less. Nuts/Seeds/Oils/Shakes[/quote]

WHY would this be a concern to someone who is trying to gain muscle mass? It makes sense to compromise gains just so you can shit less often?

“I would try to gain another 20lbs of muscle…but that might require 1-2 extra shit sessions a day so that is completely out of the question”.

Some of you are soooo hardcore.

Prof X

Whats your take on Carbs? Back when I was a kid I found that if I would carb up my mass would increase big time…more so than alot of protein powder ect. Now that I am a bit older Im concerned about the waist line and the absence of ab definition. I’m trying to find the balance of gaining mass, definition and no fat around the waist.

Thoughts?

PH

[quote]PhDguy wrote:
Need to know what to stack as a 42 year old ecto.[/quote]

Bacon, on everything.

If you’re gaining weight you will gain fat.

If you’re losing weight you will lose fat.

The Essential Berardi:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460027

[quote]PhDguy wrote:
Thanks JF,

4800 calories? Wow that seems like a lot. Do you have a menu outline you can post?

Thanks![/quote]

“What I’m Doing to Bulk” is on the T-Cell Alpha board, you’ll find my typical intake there, though it’s changed slightly lately.

With a 350 bench and 400 squat, something tells me you did something right. Clearly you had to bulk bigtime to be 6’1 210 as your profile indicates. That is not a typical ectomorph stat. I would think that you would know about massive eating. A typical undertrained ecto would weight 170~ at that height.

I guess I am not understanding why shitting is such a bad thing. Is there something I do not understand? I have been eating more since I starting bulking, and I am shitting more! I am not surprised.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
With a 350 bench and 400 squat, something tells me you did something right. Clearly you had to bulk bigtime to be 6’1 210 as your profile indicates. That is not a typical ectomorph stat. I would think that you would know about massive eating. A typical undertrained ecto would weight 170~ at that height.

I guess I am not understanding why shitting is such a bad thing. Is there something I do not understand? I have been eating more since I starting bulking, and I am shitting more! I am not surprised.[/quote]

good point

if you want to gain weight though you still need the caloric surplus.

Maybe the extra trips to the toilet have to deal with the type of food you were eating as jehovasfitness mentioned.