Supplements For a Long Hike

Hey All,
I’m planning on hiking the Appalachian trail in 2006.The appalachian trail is 2,000 miles long, and takes 6 months to hike.

I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out what supplements I can take to combat the shitty diet that one eats on the trail. ie. snickers bars, ramen, etc.

I’m already planning on taking fish oil caps, and some protein powder,and the carbs are taken care of so…

What I need is some thing that contains an adequate supply of calcium, magnesium, potassium, etc. so I don’t get sick, get bone fractures,have energy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Steve

I would suggest that if you have access to a dehydrator get to work drying various meats, veggies, fruits, etc. That along with a good multi and something like a greens suppliment should be a great help. Maybe even creatine couldn’t hurt.

I do weekly canoe/hike trips and the dehydrated stuff is a great aid when you are required to carry what you eat. You can also rehydrate your own things into more complete meals.

Hope that helps, sounds like a good trip,

Have fun,
Phill

Damn that’s a hell of a “hike” bro.

First, you’re going to have to make sure you’re getting enough calories and protein, but I’m assuming you’ve already factored that.

Sunflower seeds are loaded with the minerals you’re looking for (Mg, etc). Make a good trail mix with sunflower seeds, your favorite nuts, and a moderate amount of dried fruit (no chocolate…)

And since Grow! bars will be out soon you might want to stock up ASAP…they’re a true meal replacement with a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals…plus lightweight and non-perishable. You might consider planning on 3 a day during your hike.

Besides that, plenty of meat jerky.

Good luck, sounds like an awesome adventure.

Thanks for the responses. Grow! bars are the way to go I think.
Steve.

[quote]comguy1 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Grow! bars are the way to go I think.
Steve.[/quote]

Go with Classic Grow! or Low-Carb Grow! as they also have a decent amount of vitamins as well. Aside from that it might not hurt to invest in some Surge. I am not sure where this would be best fit in the diet but I have a feeling it might be a good investment.

A bit of a reach but you might experiment with a mix of Surge and Low-Carb Grow!.

Perhaps something like olive oil wouldn’t help seeing as it doesnt need to be refrigerated (although it shouldn’t be heated) and packs a lot of good fats in a small quantity.

Possibly ZMA for the sleeps to best get your rest in.

comguy,
I assume you’re going to be mailing food, etc. to pickup points along the trail. Like Phill said, a multi and I think definitely a greens supplement would be most helpful as you wont be carrying many fresh veggies with you. You are going to lose some muscle, but I think Grow! has a pretty good weight ratio. I’d go with the Low-Carb Grow! though, because it has the micellar casein and I’m sure you’ll have plenty of oats and trail mix. Trail food definitely doesn’t have to be shitty, it’s just takes a little more thought and planning.

Man, I would love to go with you! It’s something I’ve been thinking about for years. I’ve done the trail through Maryland and a couple of the other mid-atlantic states. It’s not the greatest trail and is definitely overcrowded, but there is just an appeal to completing the trail. Have fun!

You might also consider grabbing JB’s gourmet nutrition book and making some of his protein bars…

You know, this brings up an idea I wanted to float past you guys. It seems there are quite a few of us that travel for work. Granted, this isn’t as extreme as a hike, but, nevertheless, nutritionally speaking, there are challenges.

I would like to suggest that Biotest make a single serving pack of Grow!. Maybe even use some sort of unique packaging that would let you tear off a corner and dump the contents into a half full bottle of water. Something that’s convenient for those of us that have to try to stick our diets in places like Airports, Hotels, Convention Centers, even sales meetings for that matter.

Whataya say guys, how about a little assist. You can even charge more for it. We don’t travel all the time.

RB

[quote]rubberbubba wrote:

I would like to suggest that Biotest make a single serving pack of Grow!. Maybe even use some sort of unique packaging that would let you tear off a corner and dump the contents into a half full bottle of water. Something that’s convenient for those of us that have to try to stick our diets in places like Airports, Hotels, Convention Centers, even sales meetings for that matter.

Whataya say guys, how about a little assist. You can even charge more for it. We don’t travel all the time.

RB[/quote]

Heh, y’know dude, a box of Ziplock bags may solve all your problems…

Of course, a baggie of white powder may raise a few eyebrows at the airport, but what the hell…

-FC

[quote]FlawlessCowboy wrote:
rubberbubba wrote:

RB

Heh, y’know dude, a box of Ziplock bags may solve all your problems…

Of course, a baggie of white powder may raise a few eyebrows at the airport, but what the hell…

-FC[/quote]

They actually make ziploc containers that fit a serving of Grow! perfectly. I throw a tissue ontop and stack in some fishoil caps or almonds.