Supplements and Kidney Stones

I recently discovered that I have several kidney stones. I don’t want this to affect my training or my nutritional program. My urologist said that creatine, protein shakes and perhaps too much soda may have been contributors over the years. Does anyone have any advise for me on this issue? Surely I’m not the only one who has encountered this problem.

Well if you pass a stone, store it and take it to a lab/ have a Doctor or a test on it to find out it’s makeup. Then adjust diet accordingly. Drink enough nectar of the gods (water) and you can probably avoid this though. Protein has a mild diuretic effect (initially) and caffeine also has a diuretic effect. So sweating, soda with caffeine, coffee, some chocolate and most thermogenic aids potentially lead to dehydration of varying degrees…if the fluid lost is not replaced. Some will say that high Vit C or calcium intake leads to higher incidence of stones, that maybe but I also see a lot more stones come in during the hot months! Drink water! If your urine is noticably yellow drink more water, the lighter the better. Peace, Tmofa