T Nation

Supplementing with ZMA

do you think it will give results in the weight room? there are those two studies that say it doesn’t do anything but it makes little sense as the benefits of magnesium and since and supplementing it is talked so much about and that most people are deficient in those minerals. what do you think? i have tried taking it, but stopped since it disturbs my sleep. makes me wake up too early.

If you are deficient in zinc or magnesium then you will see a benefit to supplementing with Zinc or Magnesium respectively…

Glad I could help.

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
do you think it will give results in the weight room? there are those two studies that say it doesn’t do anything but it makes little sense as the benefits of magnesium and since and supplementing it is talked so much about and that most people are deficient in those minerals. what do you think? i have tried taking it, but stopped since it disturbs my sleep. makes me wake up too early. [/quote]

To add to JLone’s post, if it disrupts your sleep, thus not allowing you proper recovery time, why would you even bother with it?

You have to ask yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze.

[quote]Eazy wrote:
You have to ask yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze.[/quote]

I love this line.

AS for the ZMA disturbing your sleep, that’s pretty unusual. Most people find they sleep a bit deeper. I get crazy ass dreams from ZMA, but I don’t know if that equates to better sleep.

I also noticed at first that ZMA caused me to wake up too early (at least earlier that I had been used to), but my ability to fall asleep and my overall sleep quality were much better. I assume that my body had simply got all the rest it needed in a shorter-than-usual amount of time, since I felt much more refreshed during the daytime.

That said, I feel as though these positive effects of ZMA tend to wear off a bit after time, which might warrant cycling the product for a few weeks on/one week off. I also began doing a homemade recepy of 25 mg zinc chelate and 300 mg magnesium; dropping the B6 from the equation didn’t seem to make a difference (I’m supplementing with a ton of B-vitamins in the morning) and I now save a bit of money this way.

I don’t know if this is just me or with other people but don’t drink or eat dairy like an hour before you take it. My before bed snack would be a glass of milk and cup of mixed nuts and I could not fall asleep even if I was exhausted. The label says don’t take with dairy but I ignored it and it cost me good sleep

The only time ZMA interrupts my sleep is to take a leak. It literally takes me a solid minute thrity to two minutes. But I can pass right back out after this. Think Dan John states the same effect in one of his articles on here.