T Nation

Supplement Tips

Hey guys, its my first post so sorry if this sucks. Iv been doing 5/3/1 since January 2012 (about 5 months) and just recently started using boring but big as my assistance plan. This entire time Iv been bulking and had some success, dispute being at school with non-eddible food, gaining around 15 pounds by just eating, drinking about a 1/2 gallon of milk a day, and taking the dreaded mass gainer (elite mass pro to be specific).

Now about two weeks ago i weighed around 180, that was before I ran outta money and couldn’t afford to buy a single thing from GNC. I know it sounds horrible but i was literally dirt poor and had to stop everything from the mass gainer to protein to multivitamin. Luckily now thats schools done I have some money and can now get some decent food now that Im home. Unfortunately I lost about 10 pounds (around 170 now). I want to prevent this from happening again so I’m stopping the mass gainer and am about to start the following diet (I found it in the 5/3/1) book

Breakfast: 6 eggs
1-2 cups oatmeal
1 apple

Lunch: 10oz. steak
6-8 red potatoes
Bag of steamed vegetables

Lunch 2: 2 chicken breasts
2 cups rice
bag of steamed vegetables

Dinner: 2 chicken breasts
large bowl of pasta
bag of vegetables

Now I recently ordered some supplements online, the essentials to me:

Animal Pak
optimum pro complex (used as post workout protein as well as for during the day)
jacked 3d (i consider pre workout essential because i tend to work out after work around 10pm. never tried jacked before tho)
Creatine (GNC brand)

So my question is, what else do you guys think I should add to this stack if anything at all? I don’t wanna over do it, I really can’t go over 150$ and this stuff already cost me about $100. I know I could add a ton of other things like amino acids (I understand Pro Complex has a large dose of this already), nitric oxide, something for recovery, ZMA, BCAA’s, the list goes on and on but if you had to pick at absolute most 1 more (maybe two if you think i really need it) supp’s to add to my stack what would it be? If ya got the time and could give me some advise on when the best time is to take all this shit through out the day, that would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

[quote]josephdiaz163 wrote:
Now about two weeks ago i weighed around 180

Unfortunately I lost about 10 pounds (around 170 now).[/quote]
You lost 10 pounds in two weeks? Geez, man. Hummingbird metabolism, did you eat just a bowl of cereal each day, or what?

You’re trying to put weight back on, so you stopped the weight gainer shake? Make sure you account for those calories somewhere in the daily menu.

[quote]Breakfast: 6 eggs
1-2 cups oatmeal
1 apple

Lunch: 10oz. steak
6-8 red potatoes
Bag of steamed vegetables

Lunch 2: 2 chicken breasts
2 cups rice
bag of steamed vegetables

Dinner: 2 chicken breasts
large bowl of pasta
bag of vegetables[/quote]
That looks like a nice plan, on paper. Just make sure you’re consistently gaining bodyweight and strength in the gym each week. If one keeps going up, but not the other, something needs adjustment.

[quote]Now I recently ordered some supplements online, the essentials to me:
Animal Pak
optimum pro complex (used as post workout protein as well as for during the day)
jacked 3d (i consider pre workout essential because i tend to work out after work around 10pm. never tried jacked before tho)
Creatine (GNC brand)

So my question is, what else do you guys think I should add to this stack if anything at all? I don’t wanna over do it, I really can’t go over 150$ and this stuff already cost me about $100.[/quote]
The Animal Pak is 100% optional. Most people I know don’t take multi-vitamins anymore, and instead either use some kind of Superfood fruit and vegetable concentrate or take the specific vitamins they’re looking for (just Vitamin D or just C, for example). I’m not crazy about that Pro Complex protein formula. It’s a whey-egg mix, with added glutamine (a waste), BCAAs, and a token vitamin/mineral blend.

You do know that Jack3d has a big hit of caffeine and other stimulants in it, right? Not sure how you tolerate stims, but you might want to keep an eye on taking them that late at night.

Individual aminos, other than Leucine, are pretty unimportant because they are in every protein food you eat. Nitric oxide is crap; the problems have been written about a bunch. ZMA would be a great addition. It’s inexpensive, and training so late at night, you could probably use the help getting a good night’s sleep.

MAG-10. Definitely. You can have it between meals, before training, and during training.

It would be instead of your other protein shake because it’s a much higher quality of protein and it’s much more versatile.

A close second to consider might be Flameout, to make sure you’re getting enough healthy fats.