T Nation

Supplement Suggestions?

I’m a 38 year old male who has been back in the gym for about 5 months. Used to work out much harder in my youth but got away from it. Now I’m in the gym Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays doing 45 minutes of cardio and weights as follows:

Chest (bench or machine) 3 sets by 12 or 15 reps 120 lbs
Shoulders (Arnold press or machine) 3 x 12-15 140 lbs
Back (back of neck pull downs, rows or machine) 3 x 12-15 120-150 lbs
Bi’s (db or bb curls) 3 x 12-15 if db 35 lbs
Tri’s (presses or machine) 3 x 12-15 70-80 lbs

I started at 180 lbs and now at 172. I dropped a few inches in the waist and converted a lot of loose flesh to toned muscle. My goal is to be lean and healthy - able to keep up with my kid as head into being 40.

I took creatine - MRI’s CE2 HiDef and loved it. Just ending a 6 week cycle. I’m going to the gym only 3 times per week, so I’ve avoided going overboard with supplementing protein or other products. My diet is strong - 3-4 meals per day- 30% protein, 50% carbs, 20% fats.

Any additional supplement suggestions to keep having results and staying healthy? I can see myself doing another creatine cycle after cycling off in 6 weeks.

I would up your meals to 5-6 if you can, just cut back on portion size if need be. Aim to eat every 2-3 hrs

I’d also look into some Flameout on this site, for overall health (considering your age) as well as the body comp benefits.

Maybe some ZMA as well to help optimize T levels.

Other than that keep on truckin as you seem to be making progress.

Probably the best thing you can do at this point is to begin training your lower body.

Doing so will likely promote overall muscle gains and fat loss more so than adding a supplement.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Probably the best thing you can do at this point is to begin training your lower body.

Doing so will likely promote overall muscle gains and fat loss more so than adding a supplement.[/quote]

wow, I totally missed that, and I totally agree.

You mean riding the bike or geeking it on the elipitical isn’t a lower body work out?!?!

Thanks for the quick reply. Suggestion taken.

is your last name, rektum?

IMMEDIATELY go and deadlift or squat. proceed to trash can for puking.

MRI sucks BTW.

[quote]haroldrektum wrote:
You mean riding the bike or geeking it on the elipitical isn’t a lower body work out?!?!

Thanks for the quick reply. Suggestion taken.[/quote]

Those activities do employ your lower body, but they’ll do little to build muscle or strength and they won’t stimulate your metabolism the same way that squats, deadlifts, leg press, and other basic lower-body weight-training exercises will.

Thanks for the commments all… including the MRI sucks and puking in the trash can. Great stuff.

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
IMMEDIATELY go and deadlift or squat. proceed to trash can for puking.[/quote]

Agreed. the best ones for size.

Could you be a little more specific for what you are wanting to accomplish with your workouts/supplementation? Are you primarily wanting to maintain good overall health or make some strength or size gains?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
is your last name, rektum?[/quote]

Dude you crack me up that was joke, although I concur with the question. Is your last name rektum??

As for your question I’d agree with others and say do more lower body work, and make sure that your having post workout shakes and some cottage cheese before you go to bed.

maybe up your fat intake to 30% coming mostly from monounsaturated fats. It will help improve your hormone profile.