Supplement Recommendations

[quote]steviebeast wrote:
to flip collar…I am just looking to add more muscle to make my strength and olympic lifts better…I am doing 3 days of O lifting with a professional coach. Its pretty serious and I can only do light second workouts on those days.

I take C4 for every workout. I take muscle milk or cryosport protein every day. A huge bowl of yogurt mixed with protein power before bed. I don’t compete in body building since I never have done those workouts. I have always done 2-3 compound lifts together…no direct arm training. Cross fit I am sure you know about… I am very good at the body weight to mid strength lifting…not the big O lifts.

I am 7-8 lbs heavier than this photo now…but I cut out long running and the O lifting and sprints are better for keeping muscle.
I just thought there is something better than protein and or Creatine.
Tribulus according to all reports which really did tests does nothing for strength or muscle gains.
I just bought it and 3 weeks later feel nothing.
I take the ZMA too… who knows if it works.
Fish oil on and off…I also will start taking zyflamend again…its great for inflamation…
[/quote]

looking very lean.

If you’re not interested in altering your hormone levels significantly, then Protein powder and Creatine are indeed the best supplements for muscle growth.

Acute inflammation is essential to muscle growth. Muscle growth can be hindered by taking anti-inflammatory supplements and drugs. Chronic inflammation can be treated with anti-inflammatory supplements, but if you’re not feeling chronic pain in any joints, I’d avoid/limit them.

The research behind ZMA isn’t particularly strong, but it’s cheap enough, and it’s probably not hurting anything.

I forgot to mention Vitamin D3 in my first post. That’s a super cheap supplement, and it’s efficacy seems to be supported by more research than most other supplements. And it’s dirt cheap. 2000-4000 IU’s per day should be good.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Acute inflammation is essential to muscle growth. Muscle growth can be hindered by taking anti-inflammatory supplements and drugs. Chronic inflammation can be treated with anti-inflammatory supplements, but if you’re not feeling chronic pain in any joints, I’d avoid/limit them.
[/quote]

This is interesting.

When you say anti-inflammatory supps, are you talking about things like fish oil and curcumin? Or stuff like tylenol?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
[/quote]

This is interesting.

When you say anti-inflammatory supps, are you talking about things like fish oil and curcumin? Or stuff like tylenol? [/quote]
it could be all of the above. I lift in the afternoons so I make sure to take my 500mg of Curcumin (2 caps) in the morning only along with my Flameout. I take my 2nd dose of Flameout with my last meal of the day, instead of my PWO meal. Superfood in the morning as well just in case.

anyways.

creatine obviously, 5-10g per workout, esp for power output
beta-alanine (800mg 3x per day) if you wish, great for muscular endurance

for overall testosterone: zinc obviously, 30mg a day. It won’t push test above baseline but if deficient, can correct it. Same goes for vitamin D3. You could also consider researching fenugreek, and DHEA (since you are over 40) to push test over baseline.

Good ones for muscle recovery are citrulline (found in Plazma), carnitine/ALCAR, and HMB.

for “muscle builders”… really only two I can think of (besides leucine/BCAAs/etc): betaine anhydrous (TMG), found in Plazma as well. And of course cyanidin-3-glucoside.

ok…what about this Plazma? I guess muscle builder would be inaccurate since protein and eating and rest are the key elements…but maybe pre and post drinks are what I need. I do 2 a days a lot…and very intense. I cant eat enough it seems and I have to nap almost every day…

I hate spending the bank on gym related things…I read about DHEA years ago when it came out…very little research supports its worth…in fact I have yet to find an article substantiating its claims! I first looked into it in 1998… I think it was new.

The Zinc is said to work…who knows.
For real!! the best for me is sleep!! haha
thanks for the help…
this olympic lifting program is really intense…fires up your CNS…and makes me eat, and I think of chocolate cake all day!

I drink my Plazma before and during my workouts. Every workout. I justify the expense because it’s essentially food. And the cost per quality calorie is not inordinate. Plazma is really, really easy to drink, and light on the stomach. I couldn’t imagine drinking a regular whey protein (such as isolate) while I workout. This stuff goes down like gatorade. If you’re having trouble eating enough, I think this is a proper solution.