Supplement Recommendations

Question…I do crossfit now… twice a day workouts 3 days a week and a day off every 10 days or so. I eat very well…am very intense. 47 yrs old…What supplement would anyone here recommend? I take the C4 and ZMB’s…I think that tribulous is a waste. I guess I am looking for the best muscle builder. I rest and sleep a lot. There are so many products its dizzying.
thanks
steve

If you’re looking to build muscles, stop doing crossfit and lift heavy weights.

ok so you are the first…real smart…you have your goals, I have mine. I am doing olypic lifting 3 days a week with a professional coach, and the other days I do crossfit type stuff…I doubt you really know everything that goes into it…anyway, I am fit. If I wanted to take it easy and build muscle only I would do body building.

[quote] If I wanted to take it easy and build muscle only I would do body building.
[/quote]
You do know this is started as a bodybuilding site, and I believe that is still the main focus. Are you trolling or just looking to get flamed with a comment like that. You may want to move to a different website.

Hydration is #1

I asked a serious question…this is a multifaceted site…Is it that hard to get a thoughtful answer? Trolling? I still don’t even know what that means. I do a multitude of lifts…some body building included…Last I checked, all kinds of lifting are talked about here. I can’t stand wise guys…if you can’t answer in a mature manner, why not just stay away from my conversation…you prove nothing…I didn’t get on here to make fun or act stupid.

Look at the store. Everything is there.

You don’t “need” supps. If you are, as you say, “eating very well” then you are set. The problem is that many don’t know what “eating well” means.

People who are serious gym goers tend to be, or become, a bit obsessed. This makes them prime picking for draining a bit of money from their pockets. Sort of like putting out a “greatest hits” album, yet again, for some rock band. Think Rolling Stones or such like.

At your age and with your goals, just make sure you eat properly. One meal of red meat (grass fed only) per day, meat or eggs or any other protein source every single meal. Eat lots of stuff that’s green. Cut your carbs to a minimum (just get what you need from greens) and you are good to go. Oh, and ditch all processed food. That includes anything made of wheat, unless its a handful of real wheat.

When you say you want a “muscle builder”, the only raw materials used to build muscle are amino acids (protein) and fat. Anything else is entertainment. Sheesh, even if you were taking 'roids you won’t grow without proper raw materials in your diet.

[quote]Triceptaurus wrote:
You don’t “need” supps. If you are, as you say, “eating very well” then you are set. The problem is that many don’t know what “eating well” means.

People who are serious gym goers tend to be, or become, a bit obsessed. This makes them prime picking for draining a bit of money from their pockets. Sort of like putting out a “greatest hits” album, yet again, for some rock band. Think Rolling Stones or such like.

At your age and with your goals, just make sure you eat properly. One meal of red meat (grass fed only) per day, meat or eggs or any other protein source every single meal. Eat lots of stuff that’s green. Cut your carbs to a minimum (just get what you need from greens) and you are good to go. Oh, and ditch all processed food. That includes anything made of wheat, unless its a handful of real wheat.

When you say you want a “muscle builder”, the only raw materials used to build muscle are amino acids (protein) and fat. Anything else is entertainment. Sheesh, even if you were taking 'roids you won’t grow without proper raw materials in your diet.[/quote]

No idea how old you are, but once you reach our age, good supplementation will make a difference. Yes, eating well will get you there, but the journey is a lot more enjoyable with good supps.

Oh, and I eat wheat. Like everything else, in moderation.

[quote]Triceptaurus wrote:

When you say you want a “muscle builder”, the only raw materials used to build muscle are amino acids (protein) and fat. Anything else is entertainment. Sheesh, even if you were taking 'roids you won’t grow without proper raw materials in your diet.[/quote]
Nothing like some good old fashioned bro science :slight_smile:

Steviebeast, I recommend you read this article:

Granted, I’ve got a vested interest in the site, but if you follow my recommendations even half-ass. you’ll put on a significant amount of muscle, not to mention increase your performance.

Until recently I trained CrossFit and when I was doing it I found out that taking MAG-10 and Anaconda (when there was no Plazma) made a huge difference in recovery time, which is key when one is doing heavy lifting on top of very draining circuits, other energy systems work and skill work, sometimes on multiple daily sessions.

Aside from that, I would suggest a good fish oil (Flameout) and ZMA.

thanks to the last 3 -4 guys.
Im 47. 5’11’’ 171…(at 42 I was tested at 3.6% body fat in water testing)…at present most likely at 5% which makes me feel better…eating is not my problem…I eat super well…
Basic 20 foods.
Meats: Salmon, chicken (never skin), beef (not tons), turkey bacon
Carbs. Farro, quinoa, sweet pot, raw oats,
Veggies. lots…mostly asper, peppers, broc, brussel sprouts…
Fruit, banan and blueberries,
lots of nuts, dark choc every night,
protein powder now

Since the last year I added muscle by not running as much, adding olympic lifting 3 days a week seriously,

Ill read that article…thanks

[quote]steviebeast wrote:
(at 42 I was tested at 3.6% body fat in water testing)…at present most likely at 5% which makes me feel better…
[/quote]
pics plz

If you’re really around 5%, I don’t know how much supplementation I would even bother with lol. Maybe creatine?

Wow. You posted a question about supplements in the Supplement Forum, and the first several responses were ‘change your workout and don’t supplement’. I don’t understand that at all.

5’11", 170 @ 5% would be a very impressive physique, particularly at your age. Do you compete in anything?

Why do you think Tribulus is a waste? Do you already have abnormally high testosterone levels? Are you on TRT or anything like that?

How often do you use the C4? Every workout, or just when you’re looking for an extra bit of energy? C4 contains some useful ingredients for every workout, like beta alanine and creatine, but the stimulant aspect can be problematic if used too often.

Answers to all of these questions can help with supplement recommendations. That being said, there are a few that can be almost universally recommended. As I mentioned above, creatine is already in a supplement you use, but depending on your usage of C4, you could potentially benefit from taking a creatine monohydrate supplement on its own. I would also suggest Plazma, sold on this site. I drink a scoop to 2 scoops every workout, whether I’m doing a crossfit style workout or a standard weight lifting session. This supplement gives me more bang for the buck than anything I’ve ever used in terms of helping me add lean muscle, pushing through difficult workouts, and recovering. I much prefer it to workout stimulants. This product literally changed the way I approach my training.

Those are really the only 2 supplements I would recommend to absolutely anybody, regardless of goals. I don’t think you can go wrong with them.

And ignore everything Triceptaurus said. There’s some real shitty advice in there. Obviously eating well is important, but given the stats you gave us, it sounds like you’re doing that already. I’m pretty sure he suggested that people actually eat “handfuls of wheat”? Anyway. Crossfit athletes should NOT keep their carbs to a minimum. Sedentary people should keep their carbs to a minimum. Nate Miyaki has written on this. He suggests a modified Paleo approach that includes sufficient, carb-loaded workout nutrition (Plazma) to compensate for the immense workload crossfit athletes take on.

to flip collar…I am just looking to add more muscle to make my strength and olympic lifts better…I am doing 3 days of O lifting with a professional coach. Its pretty serious and I can only do light second workouts on those days.

I take C4 for every workout. I take muscle milk or cryosport protein every day. A huge bowl of yogurt mixed with protein power before bed. I don’t compete in body building since I never have done those workouts. I have always done 2-3 compound lifts together…no direct arm training. Cross fit I am sure you know about… I am very good at the body weight to mid strength lifting…not the big O lifts.

I am 7-8 lbs heavier than this photo now…but I cut out long running and the O lifting and sprints are better for keeping muscle.
I just thought there is something better than protein and or Creatine.
Tribulus according to all reports which really did tests does nothing for strength or muscle gains.
I just bought it and 3 weeks later feel nothing.
I take the ZMA too… who knows if it works.
Fish oil on and off…I also will start taking zyflamend again…its great for inflamation…

sorry its grainy…and its about a year after my low fat…which really didn’t feel healthy. I love desserts…hahaha

Hell of alot leaner than me lol good stuff

thanks…but Im hyper so its easy for me to stay lean…haha… I never sit still…Its keeping on weight which is hard… I eat like a pig before bed…even chocolate!!! Love it