Supplement Questions

I am looking to take some supplements. I work out 3-4 days a week and do cardio 2-3 days a week. My natural build is to be heavy but currently I am muscular but could lose 15 pounds. Anyway I always read about taking BCAA’s. I drink whey protein shakes that have BCAA’s in them. Is that the same as taking BCAA pills or are there additional benefits taking them separately? Also I have hip pain from cardio and chronic shoulder pain. What should I take for that? Someone suggested Glucosamine. Does anyone know if these supplements mix ok with antidepressants? Thanks for your guidance.

-Jeff

I have no idea on the anti depressants cant see why not.

Yes glucosa…, Chondrotin, MSM can help your joinnts, as can a quality fish Oil like Flameout, and limit your pounding running.

Yes BCAA’s are different. They are sigled out aminos that have really no digestion time etc and will get to the system right NOW as well the BCAA’s are the ones that are used for muscle building reapair etc. Thats the short version I suggest you read up on the The product thread here search and read various articles and heck even google.

Phill

I haven’t noticed any bad reactions between supplements and zoloft (SSRI-type anti-depressant). I’ve tried everything here except Methoxy-7.

You might want to see a Chiropractor or a PT about the hip and shoulder pain, unless the hip pain is in the front of the hip arthritis is most likely not the case. The only problem with those supps that I am aware of is blood pressure medication and high blood pressure, but go ask a pharmacist to be sure, they are much more versed in drug/supplement interactions than most doctors.

You might also want to look into fish oils (like Phill said) for the joint pain if that is the case. It could also help with the depression. Also check into calcium and magnesium, these supps can help with muscle spasms, which may be contributing to your pain.

The BCAA that are in your protein powder are basically the same as what you will buy separately, it’s just they are mixed in with the protein powder. Again like Phill said, they are assimilated faster, since the body does not need to turn them into what they already are, aminos.

These are great because they come in a easy form to take, either powder or pills, and you can take them with you wherever. If my wife is taking a little to long getting ready for dinner I just down some aminos.

I also use them during workouts, I mix amino acids, Gatorade powder, CEE and glutamine powder(don’t dare post John Barr’s Glutamine article, I have already read it, and I take it for purposes other than just building muscles). With about 35 ounces of water, my performance during workouts since using this combo has greatly improved. Not saying do this, just giving you an idea of what I do.

[quote]jps1012 wrote:
I am looking to take some supplements. I work out 3-4 days a week and do cardio 2-3 days a week. My natural build is to be heavy but currently I am muscular but could lose 15 pounds. Anyway I always read about taking BCAA’s. I drink whey protein shakes that have BCAA’s in them. Is that the same as taking BCAA pills or are there additional benefits taking them separately? Also I have hip pain from cardio and chronic shoulder pain. What should I take for that? Someone suggested Glucosamine. Does anyone know if these supplements mix ok with antidepressants? Thanks for your guidance.

-Jeff
[/quote]

Your primary source of protein should be from whole food first, then a quality MRP such as Metabolic Drive, then if one were seriously looking to maximize muscle gains BCAA’s would then be added to this as a third layer maximizing muscle recovery and gains. Again, as Phill said a steak or protein shake has bcaa’s in it. Adding pure BCAA’s on top of those sources maximizes muscle gains!

D