Supplement Help

I take a protein shake with spinach for breakfast each morning and usually one after a weight workout. Don’t take one after swimming which is what I do on recovery days.

I’m 60 and my recovery is a lot longer than before because I can be too stiff/sore for a few days. Would BCAA’s and glutamine help me recover? I’ve never taken either one and don’t know how they are used.

Thx

A lot of people report reduced soreness from BCAAs so it might be worth a try. Sipping them during your workout tends to be the done thing.

I’m not convinced glutamine makes much impact on muscle recovery but it’s very good for you so take it anyway.

BCAA would definitely help. You can purchase plain (I drink with a twist of lime or in a gatorade type drink) or flavoured. Drink during and after your work out. Or sip it throughout the day.

Glutamine is great for gut health. Lots of articles here on this subject.

I would also consider Omega’s. A 48, it’s what keeps me from going snap crackle pop.

Also, MAG-10 is amazing for that. Think of it as the next generation BCAA.

Heck, you could replace your two protein servings (leave it for before bed?) and have Plazma.

But yeah, nothing wrong with good old BCAA’s.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not familiar with the two products mentioned but I’ll check 'em out!

Much appreciated!

Is my avatar offensive? I used it back in 2006 when I joined but not sure if I want to keep it now. It was funny at the time.

[quote]BradMM wrote:
Is my avatar offensive? I used it back in 2006 when I joined but not sure if I want to keep it now. It was funny at the time. [/quote]

na man, we’ve got quite thick skins around here!

I bet most of the research has been done on young’uns. I can only ass-u-me that it will also benefit an old fart.

In my opinion, BCAA is a waste of money as long as you have sufficient protein in your diet. Why would you need to supplement something your body produces naturally? It is true you have to digest these proteins, and that takes some time. BCAA´s will be taken up in the body quicker, but with a proper pre and post-workout meal, I see no reason at all to waste money on BCAA.

[quote]andreasfo wrote:
In my opinion, BCAA is a waste of money as long as you have sufficient protein in your diet. Why would you need to supplement something your body produces naturally? It is true you have to digest these proteins, and that takes some time. BCAA�´s will be taken up in the body quicker, but with a proper pre and post-workout meal, I see no reason at all to waste money on BCAA. [/quote]

You can say that for ALL supplements. They are not needed, but make the journey a lot more enjoyable.

And the body does not produce those three aminos. In fact, 8 are not produced.

With proper pre and post meals, you will be covered. but add BCAA’s to the mix and you are recovering way faster.