T Nation

Supplement Help

So I have been lifting for about 5 months and have used supplements for 1 almost two months of this time. I use Concrete and Jacked as a pre-workout. I haven’t been taking anything during my workout but that’s due to me not knowing if its worth the money too. I take Myofusion protein and Side Effect (post workout) as a combined shake after. I also take a glutamine pill.

I am about to re-up on my supplements and want to make sure I’m doing it right. I was going to get C4 as a pre-workout with Concrete. Some Infinity Labs 100% as a protein and Pro Supps GLUTAMINE 300, 300 Grams as a post-workout.

With all this info, my questions are: Am I missing anything in all of this? Is there other products people might refer me too over these products (keep in mind my price rang for everything is about $250 after shipping)? Is it actually worth getting something for during my workouts? I already feel like I get a solid workout when I’m there but I don’t know if it could be better either.

I wanted to order it all tonight so if anyone could help me that would be amazing.

Thanks

[quote]Whiterr88 wrote:
So I have been lifting for about 5 months and have used supplements for 1 almost two months of this time. I use Concrete and Jacked as a pre-workout. I haven’t been taking anything during my workout but that’s due to me not knowing if its worth the money too. I take Myofusion protein and Side Effect (post workout) as a combined shake after. I also take a glutamine pill.

I am about to re-up on my supplements and want to make sure I’m doing it right. I was going to get C4 as a pre-workout with Concrete. Some Infinity Labs 100% as a protein and Pro Supps GLUTAMINE 300, 300 Grams as a post-workout.

With all this info, my questions are: Am I missing anything in all of this? Is there other products people might refer me too over these products (keep in mind my price rang for everything is about $250 after shipping)? Is it actually worth getting something for during my workouts? I already feel like I get a solid workout when I’m there but I don’t know if it could be better either.

I wanted to order it all tonight so if anyone could help me that would be amazing.

Thanks[/quote]

I haven’t done research on glutamine myself. But my coach was talking about how if you are expecting any muscle gain from it that you are wasting your time and money. I believe he said he was taking it for immune health. I dunno I have to ask him.

I was reading on another forum that it can possibly help with digestion.

I wouldnt take glutamine separetly unless im running a marathon or training twice a day. You get enough from protein.

[quote]NikH wrote:
I wouldnt take glutamine separetly unless im running a marathon or training twice a day. You get enough from protein.[/quote]

I agree with this. I have heard countless times over the years, as well as from personal experience, that supplementing glutamine doesn’t really do anything.

So it sounds like I shouldn’t waste my time on glutamine? So is there anything you guys would add to my supplement order or does it sound about right?

Thanks a lot for all the help!

I am also interested in the factor of testosterone boosters, will this help with muscle building or is this a waste of time as well?

[quote]Whiterr88 wrote:
I am also interested in the factor of testosterone boosters, will this help with muscle building or is this a waste of time as well?[/quote]

Assuming you’re under 30, they are a waste of money. Honestly, I think they are a waste of money in general. You’re better off supporting your natural testosterone by getting plenty of healthy fats, cholesterol and taking mineral supplements like zinc and magnesium.

Step 1) This should almost go without saying anymore but how is your diet? If you’re not eating a caloric surplus all the supplements in the world aren’t going to build you much if any muscle.

Step 2) Protein Powder, (fill in the gaps of your sub par diet) 1 - 1.5/lb of LBM

Step 3) Creatine, 5 grams per day (You don’t need a fancy delivery system)

Step 4) Good multi-vitamin/mineral (also to fill in the gaps of your sub par diet)

Step 5) Healthy Fats

Step 6) More Food

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
I haven’t done research on glutamine myself. But my coach was talking about how if you are expecting any muscle gain from it that you are wasting your time and money. I believe he said he was taking it for immune health. I dunno I have to ask him.

I was reading on another forum that it can possibly help with digestion.[/quote]
All the research I have seen says Glutamine is great for your digestive system.

For the dose of glutamine you would have to take in order for it to aid in muscle rebuilding you might at well take Indigo-3G and Plazma, it would be cheaper.

@ripsaw
Ok awesome. I usually have low amounts of energy especially for someone that lifts regularly. I was wondering if it had to do with that or like an iron deficiency or anything in general. I think I’ll give eating more food and see how it goes.
@JLone
As far as supplements being simple, I didn’t really see good results till I started using pre-workout supps and post-workout supps. So I almost feel like the more help I get the better. I have been getting more of a technique down in the gym. I’m just making sure I’m getting my moneys worth. I want to keep it simple when it comes to supps but I didn’t get the same results when I did in my previous experiences.

I eat pretty healthy/hearty, but I haven’t been big on my calorie intake due to having some extra fat I can lose.

[quote]Whiterr88 wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

I would say save your money on those things you’ve been buying and simply buy Surge Recovery http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/surge-recovery

Or if you want to step up a few notches from that, go with Anaconda http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/anaconda

Both products are pre/during workout nutrition products, both will have far superior ingredients/quality than what you’ve been doing and you should notice a nice boost in your performance/recovery from training. Anaconda is the top of the line, but if you want to start even more affordable but still quality go with Surge Recovery, both will get the job done, with Anaconda obviously being top shelf.

Either one of those plus a nice balanced meal after training should go a long ways towards growth and recovery.

[quote]Whiterr88 wrote:
@JLone
As far as supplements being simple, I didn’t really see good results till I started using pre-workout supps and post-workout supps. So I almost feel like the more help I get the better.[/quote]
Do you not see the solution?

You only see results when you’re gulping down extra calories via powders. Hmmm… what to do?

You’re not.

[quote]JLone wrote:

Do you not see the solution?

You only see results when you’re gulping down extra calories via powders. Hmmm… what to do?

You’re not.[/quote]

I understand Cal intake is important. I understand that. I also understand that some people aren’t built the same and need extra pushes for each rep, or need to have supplements that help them with growth. My family genetics are horrible.

As for getting my moneys worth. Like I said in my previous post. I wasn’t seeing results till I was actually taking supplements.

[quote]Whiterr88 wrote:
I understand Cal intake is important. I understand that. I also understand that some people aren’t built the same and need extra pushes for each rep, or need to have supplements that help them with growth. My family genetics are horrible.[/quote]
I have bad news for you, you will always have “horrible” results in the gym. You’re blaming the results your getting on things that are beyond your control. This makes you a victim.

Your not a snowflake, you don’t need some special program and supplement stack. Do the basics.

Questions from beginners can be answered by addressing one of the following:

1. Intensity
  2. Consistency
  3. Calorie Intake
  4. Rest (least likely)

You are welcome, for the best advice you will never use.

[quote]JLone wrote:

I have bad news for you, you will always have “horrible” results in the gym. You’re blaming the results your getting on things that are beyond your control. This makes you a victim.

Your not a snowflake, you don’t need some special program and supplement stack. Do the basics.

1. Intensity
  2. Consistency
  3. Calorie Intake
  4. Rest (least likely)

You are welcome, for the best advice you will never use. [/quote]

Spot on post. lol @ last part…so true!

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Whiterr88 wrote:
I understand Cal intake is important. I understand that. I also understand that some people aren’t built the same and need extra pushes for each rep, or need to have supplements that help them with growth. My family genetics are horrible.[/quote]

1. Intensity
  2. Consistency
  3. Calorie Intake
  4. Rest (least likely)

You are welcome, for the best advice you will never use. [/quote]

For me to not take your advice would be wrong on my part. I just feel like when I did it that way, I didn’t really see results. I’m trying to shoot for higher calories and I have been getting a better schedule. It’s just rough to connect the two when I don’t even know where to start. Everyone says one thing, and then someone says another.

Highlighting two main points by JLone that make up 95% of how an individual looks: Consistency and calorie intake. Believe it or not, its that fucking easy.

Trying and doing are two different things. If you are not eating every meal every day, don’t expect many results.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Highlighting two main points by JLone that make up 95% of how an individual looks: Consistency and calorie intake. Believe it or not, its that fucking easy.

Trying and doing are two different things. If you are not eating every meal every day, don’t expect many results. [/quote]

I am starting to understand that. I’m not discarding any of this information you guys are giving me. It’s normal for someone to be strong about their beliefs but I am old enough to understand that others here know WAY more then I do. I came to this site to do it right. It’s just hard when I personally jumped in with two feet and had really no guidance. I still don’t know where to start as far as nutrition.

Whit, I’ve only been lifting for a year so I’m a noobie too. I think your a lot like I was 9 months ago. I wanted a magic stack that added 50 lbs of muscle and got me down to 8% body fat. Just like you, I read 100s of articles on what people are taking and what workouts they were doing. Bottom line is, this is a marathon. I didn’t really get that in the beginning. It’s not about what I’ll look like in 8 weeks, its about what I look like in 5 years.

As far as supps and a meal plan go, don’t change anything right now. For the next week or two write down every single thing that goes in your mouth. Every time you pass the Dorito bag and eat 1 chip, it goes on paper. Dint leave anything out. Figure up the macros at the end of each day. After you do that for a couple of weeks you’ll know where your gaps are. Use supplements as they were intended. They are suppose to add the nutrients your missing in your existing diet.

Finally, don’t self diagnose what you think may be health problems ( low T or low iron). They make test for these things. Go to your GP and have him run the test. That money will be better spent than the $250 a month in supps. If something is out of range the doc can help you deal with it. Don’t spend money on supps because you think something is off. Find out

[quote]jaketky wrote:
Whit, I’ve only been lifting for a year so I’m a noobie too. I think your a lot like I was 9 months ago. I wanted a magic stack that added 50 lbs of muscle and got me down to 8% body fat. Just like you, I read 100s of articles on what people are taking and what workouts they were doing. Bottom line is, this is a marathon. I didn’t really get that in the beginning. It’s not about what I’ll look like in 8 weeks, its about what I look like in 5 years.

As far as supps and a meal plan go, don’t change anything right now. For the next week or two write down every single thing that goes in your mouth. Every time you pass the Dorito bag and eat 1 chip, it goes on paper. Dint leave anything out. Figure up the macros at the end of each day. After you do that for a couple of weeks you’ll know where your gaps are. Use supplements as they were intended. They are suppose to add the nutrients your missing in your existing diet.

Finally, don’t self diagnose what you think may be health problems ( low T or low iron). They make test for these things. Go to your GP and have him run the test. That money will be better spent than the $250 a month in supps. If something is out of range the doc can help you deal with it. Don’t spend money on supps because you think something is off. Find out[/quote]

Thanks for the info. It’s a constant battle against myself when it comes to all this. I am taking a nutrition class this semester so I’ll make sure to continue to use the good habits I learn from this class. I will try to save my money but as far as pre-workout supps, is everyone saying they don’t use anything for energy (like jacked or C4)?