T Nation

Supplement for Knee Pain?

A little BG. I’ve played baseball for the past 16 years. Of those 16 years, I have been a catcher for 13. Lots of up and down, twisting and turning which I think caused the majority of the problem. I still play in a local league, but I’ve decided to concentrate on outfield. This isn’t pro ball or anything like that. I guess you’d say its a select league.

Anyways, my right knee has always given me problems. I’m new to Biotest products so my question is…Is there any recommendations for supplements that would help my knee?

I mainly have pain when I’m doing moderate to heavy squats. It doesn’t look inflamed. It doesn’t pop or feel like its grinding.

Also, I work out early in the morning. I was thinking that it could be a possibility that I’m not warming up properly before starting. I do five mins on an elliptical, then roughly 25 box jumps on 24 inch tall box.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

As a person with knee pain also in both knees (patelar tendonitis) I have found what works for me is the neoprene knee sleve that is about a size too small. This keeps my knees warm and I don’t need that much warmup when doing heavy squats.

Also, ever since I started powerlifting and taking a tad bit wider stance on my squats, I don’t feel it all in my knees; my hips, hamstrings and quads take the punishment and my knees are safe to live another day.

Lastly, I also take TriFlex when has Glucsamine, chondrootin and MSM.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as a catcher, when you squat are you on your toes? If you are use to squatting with the weight being on your toes, your knees will pay the price. Need to learn to sit back when you squat so the weight is shifted from your knees to your glutes, hamstrings and quads. Your knees will thank you in the end.

[quote]SergeantQ wrote:
As a person with knee pain also in both knees (patelar tendonitis) I have found what works for me is the neoprene knee sleve that is about a size too small. This keeps my knees warm and I don’t need that much warmup when doing heavy squats.

Also, ever since I started powerlifting and taking a tad bit wider stance on my squats, I don’t feel it all in my knees; my hips, hamstrings and quads take the punishment and my knees are safe to live another day.

Lastly, I also take TriFlex when has Glucsamine, chondrootin and MSM.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as a catcher, when you squat are you on your toes? If you are use to squatting with the weight being on your toes, your knees will pay the price. Need to learn to sit back when you squat so the weight is shifted from your knees to your glutes, hamstrings and quads. Your knees will thank you in the end.[/quote]

That was going to be my next question actually. lol. I was headed to pick up a brace today after work. When catching you only should sit on your toes when you’re giving signals. After that you rock back to balance your weight across the foot for the most part. So to be clear on technique when doing squats, push through the heels and take a wider-than-shoulder width stance?

I’ve found that fish oil helps me with my knee pain.

[quote]elusive wrote:
I’ve found that fish oil helps me with my knee pain.[/quote]

Is there a specific dosage?

[quote]Paste42 wrote:
elusive wrote:

Is there a specific dosage?[/quote]

I can’t pin point a specific dosage, but I notice my knee aches subside when taking in about 10grams (or more) daily.

[quote]elusive wrote:
Paste42 wrote:
elusive wrote:

Is there a specific dosage?

I can’t pin point a specific dosage, but I notice my knee aches subside when taking in about 10grams (or more) daily.[/quote]

I’ve been taking roughly 5g daily so I’ll try to up that and see what happens. Thanks

For me, anytime I have any knee problems or other joint problems, I double up my Flameout. They rec. 4 caps a day, I use 8-10 till the joint feels 100%, then I go down to 6 a day, then 4 a day when I feel the problems are 100%

I take Fish oil (about 12g/day) and glucosamine/chondroiten/msm. Was thinking about Cissus but keeping my legs warm while training has help quite a bit, too.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
I take Fish oil (about 12g/day) and glucosamine/chondroiten/msm. Was thinking about Cissus but keeping my legs warm while training has help quite a bit, too.[/quote]

1,500 mg of glucosamine/chondroiten/msm. I had bursitis all the time in both knees and haven’t had a problem since. Also ask a masseuse for a knee massage they will focus on the iliotibial band to loosen it up that is associated for causing knee pain. The massage works wonders!!

That was going to be my next question actually. lol. I was headed to pick up a brace today after work. When catching you only should sit on your toes when you’re giving signals. After that you rock back to balance your weight across the foot for the most part. So to be clear on technique when doing squats, push through the heels and take a wider-than-shoulder width stance?

To answer your question, you are correct with the taking a wider-than-shoulder width stance and push with heels. I had to learn how to do this by doing box squats. Look on youtube for various box squats and you will see the form.

Look into foam rolling your lower body, look into ankle and hip mobility exercises.

Alright much appreciated everyone.