T Nation

Supine bench press???

I am not sure if this is the term I am looking for or not, but recently I have seen a lot of guys at my gym doing bench press with palms facing them. It looks kind of like a backwards row. Does this move have any benefits above and beyond a regular bench press? Does it have any benefits different from the bench press or is it a useless exercise. Just wondering,
:slight_smile: Groove

The reverse grip bench press is usually employed to recruit the triceps (particularly the lateral heads) more than a regular close grip bench. Charles Staley actually utilized it in his original EDT Arm Specialization program here at T-Mag. Personally, I find it to be a little awkward and tough on the wrists. To each their own, though; you ought to give it a shot sometime.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. All bench presses are supine. Supine means your abdomen is facing the ceiling (you’re on your back). The term you’re looking for is “supinated” grip benches, which refers to ulna being anterior to the radius (from the anatomical position).

It stimulates the lateral head of the triceps to a great degree; its a triceps exercise. The exercise is called a reverse grip bench press; a supine bench press is simply a regular bench press because you are in the supine position or on your back.

I can’t understand why anyone would do that, unless they’re Anthony Clark tag-alongs/wannabes. Just do it the way everyone else does it. It’s probably safer too. If it slips doing it the other way you’re dead.

It’s supposed to hit the lateral part of the triceps more than BPresses. It has a distinct stiking point so use caution when selecting your load. This exercice is just what it is, an option, a tool in your BB toolbox.

-LPdSB

are you talking about Reverse Grip Bench press? Supine usually means lying flat.Or your palms are facing towards your front of your body and pronate is your plams turning towards your back. If you are refering to the Reverse grip bench it is harder then your regular bench and your are using your triceps muscles more then your chest muscles.

GT, the proper term would be “supine grip bench press”. “Supine bench press” just means lying supine when executing a bench press, so that term really applies to all bench pressing. The supine grip bench press places more stress on the triceps and less on the pecs than regular bench because of the orientation of the upper arm; the pecs are internal rotators and horizontal adductors, so externally rotating the upper arm and bringing the elbows in close to the body (as one does in the supine grip bench) inhibits the pecs from firing. It can be a decent exercise if it doesn’t bother your wrists or shoulders, but I find close grip benches to be much more comfortable.

There is no such thing as a supine or prone grip. It’s supinated or pronated grip.

OK, well, now that the supine/supinated debate has been beaten to death, allow me to say how much I absolutely love this exercise. I’ve been doing it for the past 6 months or so. I do a supinated close grip press, and it is usually the first exercise I do on arm day. It is awkward at first (for about a week), and I recommend starting extremely light and always using a spotter! You can get an incredible stretch with this exercise, and with time, you should be able to move some pretty decent weight. Right now, I’m topping out at 205 for 4-6 reps on my final set. Since I’ve been doing this exercise, my triceps have become noticeably stronger and bigger; not surpringly, all of my pressing movements went up. This is a great exercise–don’t bash it until you’ve tried it for a few weeks; the awkwardness should be gone by then. I may have to caution you away if you have weak wrists, but frankly, I don’t understand why more people don’t use do this.

Thanks for the responses guys. I meant supinated…oops but yes this the exercise I was reffering to.
:slight_smile: Groove

Some interesting stuff grooveless! Ive been working out for over 2 and a half years and I NEVER heard of it - Ill try it this week on arms day. Its always nt to add a new exercise to my book.

Fitone, I’ve searched my entire body but I can’t seem to locate my plams. Where the hell are they?

I know CP isn’t particularly fond of them. Possibly in some slow-tempo, high rep fashion they’d be good for tris, but some people use them when working with maximal weights, and he’s of the opinion that that is a good way to break some ribs. I concurr!

I think Westside uses them when doing explosive bench press work. They switch the grip during multiple sets of 3 reps, but I’m not sure whether they work in more grip variations than just pronated and supinated.

The so-called reverse grip bench press or supinated grip is not a good exercise to employ in your training. In fact, Ronnie Coleman recently spoke out about the dangers of this exercise in a recent article in either Muscle and Fitness or Flex, I cannot remember which. We all tax our joints and wrist enough employing good technique. Stick with the basics. Confuse your muscles from time to time. There’s enough risk of injury in bodybuilding without looking for it.
Nick

“The term you’re looking for is “supinated” grip benches, which refers to ulna being anterior to the radius (from the anatomical position).” The ulna is not anterior to the radius when the hand is supinated is it? Dont you mean lateral?

You’re somewhat correct; it’s medial, not lateral, to the radius (remember that we’re still talking anatomical position here). What I meant to say was that it seems like the ulna is moving anteriorly, when in fact it remains stationary as the radius rotates around it. They’re parallel during supination and the radius rotates over the ulna during pronation. My bad; I should have more clearly stated what I was trying to convey.

RR to Eric Cressey thanks for that, im still getting used to the anatomical terminology :slight_smile: