Supersetting in a Gym

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
It’s not that hard. I’ve supersetted in an ultra crowded gym before. Hell, I’ve even managed supersets with 4 exercises (not sure if that’s still a “superset” but whatever). Grab a db, haul it over and keep it under the bench press. Superset bench press with single arm db rows. Or haul a few db’s underneath the pull up bar. Superset pullups with overhead db press.

If you’re working out at a recreational/commercial gym, most lifters will be intimidated by you anyway if you look like you even half-way know what the fuck you are doing. “Hey brah, he’s doing some fancy shit where he alternates exercises…he must be…like…SERIOUS…don’t mess with him, brah!” [/quote]

If I saw someone doing this and I needed the dumbell Id certainly just take it. What you do is just obnoxious and is extremely poor gym etiquette in a crowded gym. [/quote]

I often see people hoard three or four pairs of DB’s at a time, just sprawled at their feet. One would think that this is so they could perform giant sets (in a crowded commercial gym), yet they still manage to find the time to rest between every exercise. It truly boggles the mind.

[quote]Doyle wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
It’s not that hard. I’ve supersetted in an ultra crowded gym before. Hell, I’ve even managed supersets with 4 exercises (not sure if that’s still a “superset” but whatever). Grab a db, haul it over and keep it under the bench press. Superset bench press with single arm db rows. Or haul a few db’s underneath the pull up bar. Superset pullups with overhead db press.

If you’re working out at a recreational/commercial gym, most lifters will be intimidated by you anyway if you look like you even half-way know what the fuck you are doing. “Hey brah, he’s doing some fancy shit where he alternates exercises…he must be…like…SERIOUS…don’t mess with him, brah!” [/quote]

If I saw someone doing this and I needed the dumbell Id certainly just take it. What you do is just obnoxious and is extremely poor gym etiquette in a crowded gym. [/quote]

I can’t speak about commercial/Chain gyms, I’ve never had a membership at one. In the gyms(4) where I have trained this is not considered poor etiquette at all. The gym is plenty crowded at times and everyone seems to be able to work together. If someone is using bells, a machine, or an area and I want in I just ask; and it goes both ways. You would be more than welcome to grab the dumbells if you needed them and I would walk over and grab them to get my set it, and on it goes. Just isn’t a problem.
[/quote]
Exactly its not a big deal. Besides I know it has already been said but the whole idea of a superset is to do two exercises in around the time it take to do one. So unless you are reracking the DBS in between your straight sets then its not that different.[/quote]

If I have the dumbells in front of me while resting between sets, which would rarely happen anyway because I ramp every set meaning I dont use the same ones twice. But if theyre resting in front of me and someone else needs them Ill tell them how long I have until my next set, if they can do their set in that amount of time and get the DBs back to me, great, go for it. I expect the same. If someone has DBs tucked under their bench while doing skull crushers, I cant exactly ask a person to use the equipment while they are lifting. I guess the alternative is to just say fuck it and take the euipment from the person while theyre doing the other set, but thats not too polite, is it?

I dont have time for people to hog equipment they arent immediately using. Obviously none of this is an issue with selectorized machines, but supersetting with dumbells is rude when the gym is crowded.

^Especially when that person supersetting with the db’s under their bench thinks they are some sort of badass because they are doing supersets which is supposedly fancy advanced shit.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Doyle wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

I can’t speak about commercial/Chain gyms, I’ve never had a membership at one. In the gyms(4) where I have trained this is not considered poor etiquette at all. The gym is plenty crowded at times and everyone seems to be able to work together. If someone is using bells, a machine, or an area and I want in I just ask; and it goes both ways. You would be more than welcome to grab the dumbells if you needed them and I would walk over and grab them to get my set it, and on it goes. Just isn’t a problem.
[/quote]
Exactly its not a big deal. Besides I know it has already been said but the whole idea of a superset is to do two exercises in around the time it take to do one. So unless you are reracking the DBS in between your straight sets then its not that different.[/quote]

If I have the dumbells in front of me while resting between sets, which would rarely happen anyway because I ramp every set meaning I dont use the same ones twice. But if theyre resting in front of me and someone else needs them Ill tell them how long I have until my next set, if they can do their set in that amount of time and get the DBs back to me, great, go for it. I expect the same. If someone has DBs tucked under their bench while doing skull crushers, I cant exactly ask a person to use the equipment while they are lifting. I guess the alternative is to just say fuck it and take the euipment from the person while theyre doing the other set, but thats not too polite, is it?
[/quote]

That’s also my opinion, and basic decency, (for any piece of equipment, IMO)