Supersetting Good or Bad for Motor Learning?

I have used a couple of routines where I supersetted big heavy exercises with moderate rest. Example: Bench press and power snatch, or speed squats and standing press.

do you think that supersetting like this enhances or negatively impacts motor learning and the ability to lift heavy weights, or move the bar fast? Assume you are not doing anything mechanically “wrong”. Example, is it better to do 6 x 2 power snatch and THEN 6 x 2 bench press in 20-30 minutes, or is it better to superset them over the same time period? I sometimes feel like I lose my technique on one exercise when supersetting, but maybe that it a positive since i have to rebuild those pathways for each set when I superset or take long breaks.

For most people it will have a negative effect. Because it’s hard to focus on both lifts when you alternate every set. With most people one of the two lifts will always suffer.

I’m not saying that it can’t be done: I’ve used strength circuits of 3-5 compound lifts before, but with ample rest to refocus. But from a motor learning perspective, it’s best to do all the sets of one exercise before moving to the next.

Sorry to revive an old thread but a new one seems unwarranted, but here is a follow up:

Let’s say you have one day dedicated to each main lift, is it better from a motor learning perspective to do a variation of “the other” main lift on another day? (why? To perform the motor pattern more often in a week)

E. g. do front squats after deadlifts on deadlift day and do deficit deadlifts after back squats on squat day.

Maybe it’s hard to generalise as I assume not everyone is going to have a motor learning carry-over from a front squat to a back squat but maybe then a different contraction form would work at least?

E. g. do slow eccentric back squats after deadlifts on deadlift day and maybe pause during a deadlift just below the knees for a two count during deadlift day

Well, I don’t like to mix contraction types on any given day. Not anymore. So I don’t like that specific idea.

There are a few things to consider.

For optimal motor learning you would need to perform the same exercise, not a different version.

Using different versions can help in other regards but the effect on motor learning will be less important.

Another thing to consider is the level of stress of adding the other big lift on the training day. Granted, with the athletes I’m training, we train the whole body every workout. So we do have squats and hip hinge on the same workouts and they recover fine. BUT other variables are kept down to maximize recovery (e.g. only 4 exercises per session, sometimes 3, 3 strength workouts per week only, long rest intervals, fairly low volume of work).

1 Like

I think this is very personal. At first you need to look at the basics. Can you perform the movement pattern correctly? If so, intensify the movement pattern to your needs using volume, intensity, intensiveness, rest intervals etc. If not, look at what the movement pattern is lacking. With the examples you are giving, a good choice can be a form of post activation potentiation to promote more motor learning in various parts of the pattern.

Another thing to look at is horizontal of vertical development. Vertical would say practice the specific lift you want to improve on for a longer period of time. Horizontal would say, when taking the back squat for instance, practice other squat forms. Carryover from one to another is dependent of so many things. Is a person able to translate the pattern into another, think this is where the neurotyping is key. But also is a different squatting form targeting weaknesses that will bring up your back squat?

The last thing I want to add is the amount of struggle/mistakes. Some people learn from making lots of mistakes when practicing a movement pattern. Other people will get very insecure from making mistakes and thus will be contra-productive on motor learning. There are also people that need to feel struggle. Myself as a good example. If I make to many mistakes I’m very pissed at the end of a practice session, when I make none… I feel like the session had no effect at all.

Sorry for the long post. Just love this kind of stuff. :wink: