Superset Dilemma

I just started a program that calls for a triple set of front squats, hack squats, and leg extensions, followed by a superset of deadlifts and leg curls. However, my university’s weight room has recently been remodeled and they have moved all the machines to the cardio room down the hall.

So I am faced with a problem here: should I knock out the compound lift(s) and jog down the hall to the leg extension/curl machine and count that as a superset (it takes about 15-20s to get from room to room), or should I look for substitute exercises?

The main issue here is whether or not the commute will diminish the effects of the superset substantially, and if this is the case, what substitute lifts should I use in place of the leg extensions/curls.

I was thinking possibly RDL’s for the leg curls, but am at a loss for what to do for extensions.

I hope you didn’t pay for that “program”

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
I hope you didn’t pay for that “program”[/quote]

LOL. Yeah, in light of the program he is following, he has more “dilemmas” than he realizes.

I actually got it out of the “Black Book of Training Secrets.” I figured that a world class coach like CT might know a thing or two about building muscle, but hey, who knows. Everybody is different and what works for some may not works for others, but I figured I’d give it a shot. Thanks for the helpful advice, I’ll let you know how it works out.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:
I hope you didn’t pay for that “program”

LOL. Yeah, in light of the program he is following, he has more “dilemmas” than he realizes.[/quote]

Dan, the only person here qualified to answer that question is Thib. The resident experts here obviously are going to be of little help. I would post this question in his locker room. He is sure to answer it.

I’m sure CT will say “Don’t sweat little details like that”. 15-20 seconds between supersets won’t be detrimental if the sets are done with proper intensity in the first place. You may find yourself thankful for that “hobble” time after a brutal set of squats.

If you really wanna kick it up a notch, lunge down the hall to the isolation machines and back to the compound lifts. You wouldn’t even need to add weight on your lunges I would imagine…

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
If you really wanna kick it up a notch, lunge down the hall to the isolation machines and back to the compound lifts. You wouldn’t even need to add weight on your lunges I would imagine… [/quote]

good idea

Thanks for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it. TrainerinDC, that is possibly the most masochistic thing I have ever heard and you have earned my undying respect. I just hope my legs don’t fall off, I hear that can inhibit muscle growth…

If you really wanna kick it up a notch, lunge down the hall to the isolation machines and back to the compound lifts. You wouldn’t even need to add weight on your lunges I would imagine… [/quote]

Regular lunges or jump (plyometric) lunges?

[quote]Modi wrote:
Regular lunges or jump (plyometric) lunges?[/quote]

I wouldn’t be cruel enough to do that to him. However my two 15 year old soccer playing girl clients will be doing it tomorrow…

Modi wrote:
Regular lunges or jump (plyometric) lunges?

I wouldn’t be cruel enough to do that to him. However my two 15 year old soccer playing girl clients will be doing it tomorrow…
[/quote]

Yep, you’re sick. I like it.

At the very least, I’d do the deadlifts and leg curls first, not last.
As a side note, I’ve found few things much more difficult than high-rep full squats followed by stiff-legged deadlifts for a superset.

That’s a good idea, I’ll give it a try. I was actually planning on alternating between squatting and deadlifting first each week in order keep some variety and prevent any imbalances.

[quote]Radjxf wrote:
At the very least, I’d do the deadlifts and leg curls first, not last. As a side note, I’ve found few things much more difficult than high-rep full squats followed by stiff-legged deadlifts for a superset.[/quote]