T Nation

Superset Combos?

I am pretty new to lifting. I have lifted before but after an injury I havent lifted in over a year. A good friend of mine told me to try doing supersets and working opposite muscles. Other then doing Bench and Rows, what other combos are good to do? And any other insite into super sets would be great.
Thanks

Im no expert, but I was taught that Supersets were two or sometimes three excercizes back-to-back on concentrated maneuvers.

For example, my coach would have me do 8 reps of a weight on the bench press and immediatley move to the curl rack and do some standing bicep curls, and then right away to the preacher curl bench and do a set there. Then I get to rest for 30 seconds or however long.

He said the theory was I started with the bench that worked alot, then moved to the arms which worked less, then the preacher curls which worked even less (due to isolation).

In this post I too am asking if this is at all correct. I dont want to live the lie anymore if it isnt.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Im no expert, but I was taught that Supersets were two or sometimes three excercizes back-to-back on concentrated maneuvers.[/quote]

This is similar to how I do supersets. I think your coach may be ignorant or mixing his theorys though. If he is looking to progressively isolate the movement he would want to stick with the same muscles. Curls aren’t an “arms” lift theyre a biceps lift. Your “bench muscles” are you delts, tris, and pecs. I would do something similar but more of a bench, dip, pushup drop set. Then again this is more of a drop set then a superset in common use of the word.

Actually supersets are two exercises back to back for the same muscle group i.e. bench press followed immediately by dumbell flys (which is a pretty decent combo) then you take your break. The one with doing bicep curls and then preacher curls would be a superset for biceps.

The other you were talking about bench and rows would be an agonist/antagonist or push/pull set. Another agonist/antagonist set would be bicep curls followed immediately by triceps extensions.

They say that supersets work really well for growth because the amount of time the muscle is under tension is longer, but everybody is different anyways so try and see if it works for you anyways it will give you a good pump(for lack of a better word).

Anyways hope this helped a little because I’m not a pro. Good Luck!

[quote]jtriki wrote:
Actually supersets are two exercises back to back for the same muscle group i.e. bench press followed immediately by dumbell flys (which is a pretty decent combo) then you take your break. The one with doing bicep curls and then preacher curls would be a superset for biceps.

The other you were talking about bench and rows would be an agonist/antagonist or push/pull set. Another agonist/antagonist set would be bicep curls followed immediately by triceps extensions.

They say that supersets work really well for growth because the amount of time the muscle is under tension is longer, but everybody is different anyways so try and see if it works for you anyways it will give you a good pump(for lack of a better word).

Anyways hope this helped a little because I’m not a pro. Good Luck![/quote]

antagonist pairs can be super sets as well. A super set is simply a pair of exercises can be the same muscle groups, opposing or hell way different like an upper and lower body its simply a pair.

You do this to maximize time you can rest less but get the same or more rest before doing the same exercise again.

You could also do a giant set. Three exercises etc etc…

[quote]Phill wrote:
jtriki wrote:
Actually supersets are two exercises back to back for the same muscle group i.e. bench press followed immediately by dumbell flys (which is a pretty decent combo) then you take your break. The one with doing bicep curls and then preacher curls would be a superset for biceps.

The other you were talking about bench and rows would be an agonist/antagonist or push/pull set. Another agonist/antagonist set would be bicep curls followed immediately by triceps extensions.

They say that supersets work really well for growth because the amount of time the muscle is under tension is longer, but everybody is different anyways so try and see if it works for you anyways it will give you a good pump(for lack of a better word).

Anyways hope this helped a little because I’m not a pro. Good Luck!

antagonist pairs can be super sets as well. A super set is simply a pair of exercises can be the same muscle groups, opposing or hell way different like an upper and lower body its simply a pair.

You do this to maximize time you can rest less but get the same or more rest before doing the same exercise again.

You could also do a giant set. Three exercises etc etc…
[/quote]

Good points Phil. Also, supersets are great for building endurance and working the cardiovascular system. You want to boost metabolism and burn fat? Add in some supersets. My workout crew incorporates them often. A great one off the top of my head Squats followed by incline dumbbell bench press.

D

Read any thing by: Charles Poliquin

He’s the man, well one of manny try it.

Try supersetting Plie’ Squats with Leg Extensions. It’ll kick your ass in no time if you go heavy.

Read Charles Staley’s EDT articles. He mentioned time tested antagonist exercises that work.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Phill wrote:
jtriki wrote:
Actually supersets are two exercises back to back for the same muscle group i.e. bench press followed immediately by dumbell flys (which is a pretty decent combo) then you take your break. The one with doing bicep curls and then preacher curls would be a superset for biceps.

The other you were talking about bench and rows would be an agonist/antagonist or push/pull set. Another agonist/antagonist set would be bicep curls followed immediately by triceps extensions.

They say that supersets work really well for growth because the amount of time the muscle is under tension is longer, but everybody is different anyways so try and see if it works for you anyways it will give you a good pump(for lack of a better word).

Anyways hope this helped a little because I’m not a pro. Good Luck!

antagonist pairs can be super sets as well. A super set is simply a pair of exercises can be the same muscle groups, opposing or hell way different like an upper and lower body its simply a pair.

You do this to maximize time you can rest less but get the same or more rest before doing the same exercise again.

You could also do a giant set. Three exercises etc etc…

Good points Phil. Also, supersets are great for building endurance and working the cardiovascular system. You want to boost metabolism and burn fat? Add in some supersets. My workout crew incorporates them often. A great one off the top of my head Squats followed by incline dumbbell bench press.

D [/quote]

On topic, I take one week out of every month to do supersets (antagonistic groups).
Off topic, this is the best use of the larger avatars I have seen yet.

From:
Arm Yourself!
by Charles Poliquin

"Here is a nasty super set for biceps:

Do 4-6 reps of close-grip chin ups (or close grip pull downs, if you are not strong enough to do the chin ups), rest 8-10 seconds, and then do 8-10 reps of incline dumbbell curls.

Do five sets, resting approximately 2 minutes between sets, and I guarantee you there will be no way you can bend your elbows for at least 5 days without feeing extreme soreness.

Here is what is happening: When you are doing the chin-up, the origin is at the elbow and the insertion is at the shoulder. Then, when you do the incline dumbbell curls, it is the opposite: the origin is at the shoulder and the insertion is at the elbow.

Mechanically, you are doing two extremes and you are inducing fiber damage beyond belief."

www.T-Nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=Charles%20Poliquin&s=pager&pageNo=2

the Pain is exquisite! =-0

[quote]inthego wrote:
From:
Arm Yourself!
by Charles Poliquin

"Here is a nasty super set for biceps:

Do 4-6 reps of close-grip chin ups (or close grip pull downs, if you are not strong enough to do the chin ups), rest 8-10 seconds, and then do 8-10 reps of incline dumbbell curls.

Do five sets, resting approximately 2 minutes between sets, and I guarantee you there will be no way you can bend your elbows for at least 5 days without feeing extreme soreness.

Here is what is happening: When you are doing the chin-up, the origin is at the elbow and the insertion is at the shoulder. Then, when you do the incline dumbbell curls, it is the opposite: the origin is at the shoulder and the insertion is at the elbow.

Mechanically, you are doing two extremes and you are inducing fiber damage beyond belief."

www.T-Nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=Charles%20Poliquin&s=pager&pageNo=2

the Pain is exquisite! =-0[/quote]

Does anybody have examples of this for other supersets… the origin/insertion principle that is?

Crunches and wrist curlz. Youll be jacked so soon. Tahnk me later

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Crunches and wrist curlz. Youll be jacked so soon. Tahnk me later[/quote]

And people call me a troll!