Supermarket Meat Safety

So what type of meat do you guys purchase? I usually just go with my store-brand beef, but is that the stuff that’s pumped full of chemicals and kept chained up and all that nasty shit? I’m thinking that if my money situation improves I may switch to free-range grain-fed beef.

free range grass fed is the way to go if you have the cash.

i only buy chicken right now; but when i was eating more red meat i just bought some middle of the road meats at hanafords weekly. i was eating about 45oz of red meat a week, so if i were to go grass-fed with that much i’d be in the po-house!

LOL “Hannaford’s”… I can tell you guys are New England. Do you have Shaw’s down there, too?

Hannaford’s always has specials on their cuts (as do most groceries) that are maybe $.50, $.75, $1.00+ off. I snatch those up and throw them in the freezer.

Don’t overthink the ‘chemical’ thing too much. The benefits of just eating the meat and hitting the gym far outweigh the hype of not eating it because it’s not ‘grass-fed organic beef’.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
LOL “Hannaford’s”… I can tell you guys are New England. Do you have Shaw’s down there, too?

Hannaford’s always has specials on their cuts (as do most groceries) that are maybe $.50, $.75, $1.00+ off. I snatch those up and throw them in the freezer.

Don’t overthink the ‘chemical’ thing too much. The benefits of just eating the meat and hitting the gym far outweigh the hype of not eating it because it’s not ‘grass-fed organic beef’.

[/quote]

yeah, Stop & Shop usually has top round for like 2.99/lb. I’ve been going for that. I’m eating about 84 oz. of red meat a week at this point, so it got me thinking about where it comes from.

I am too young and too far from my limits to even begin worrying about what is really in my steak.

My parents buy it, I eat it.

“is that the stuff that’s pumped full of chemicals and kept chained up and all that nasty shit?”

Yes. If you want (relatively) chemical free, buy something labeled organic, and maybe it actually will be. But if you really want the good, well-treated stuff stop getting meat at the grocery store and start making friends with butcher’s or the vendors at a farmer’s market.

I’m lucky and thankful to have my beef meals. I buy a ton of it on sale and food-save it for a rainy day. I’m mainly living off chicken and fish right now with the occasional tri-tip meal