T Nation

Superman vs Thor

Who would win and why?

hulk

THOR!

Especially the current version. The Odin Force passed to Thor when Odin died, making him the Lord of Asgard.
Before that Thor would have been a good match for Superman. But after that there’s just no contest. No power Superman has could harm him.

I am not a big DC reader but as I understand it they have raised Superman’s power level over the years to the point that he is infinitely strong and entirely invulnerable.

That is not true of Thor at all. Thor can lift over 100 tons. He controls lightening and wind, and has a vast array of mystical powers including the infamous god blast which was able to punch a hole through the head of a Celestial. The Celestials are basically omnipotent, so if Thor could do that, he could kill Superman. it’s juts a question of who would bring out the “big gatz” first I guess.

Thor has a unique talent for beating foes a lot bigger and more powerful than he is anyway. That talent is probably because Thor is thousands of years old, and he was a warrior for every single day of it. In Thor’s lifetime Asgard has gone to war probably hundreds of times and I am quite sure he was in the front lines most of the time.
He once beat Ego the living planet by whipping up a powerful, violent storm. He killed the Midguard serpent who was big enough to coil around the Earth. If he could do those things then yeah, he would have a good shot at beating Supes
People look at Thor as being hokey because of his outfit, but I daresay it’s no less flamboyant that Superman’s.

I have high hopes for the movie. It should be uber epic.

[quote]force of one wrote:
THOR!

Especially the current version. The Odin Force passed to Thor when Odin died, making him the Lord of Asgard.
Before that Thor would have been a good match for Superman. But after that there’s just no contest. No power Superman has could harm him.

I am not a big DC reader but as I understand it they have raised Superman’s power level over the years to the point that he is infinitely strong and entirely invulnerable.

That is not true of Thor at all. Thor can lift over 100 tons. He controls lightening and wind, and has a vast array of mystical powers including the infamous god blast which was able to punch a hole through the head of a Celestial. The Celestials are basically omnipotent, so if Thor could do that, he could kill Superman. it’s juts a question of who would bring out the “big gatz” first I guess.

Thor has a unique talent for beating foes a lot bigger and more powerful than he is anyway. That talent is probably because Thor is thousands of years old, and he was a warrior for every single day of it. In Thor’s lifetime Asgard has gone to war probably hundreds of times and I am quite sure he was in the front lines most of the time.
He once beat Ego the living planet by whipping up a powerful, violent storm. He killed the Midguard serpent who was big enough to coil around the Earth. If he could do those things then yeah, he would have a good shot at beating Supes
People look at Thor as being hokey because of his outfit, but I daresay it’s no less flamboyant that Superman’s.

I have high hopes for the movie. It should be uber epic.[/quote]

Hulk beat him :stuck_out_tongue: HULK BEAT ALL

Thor wins. Now if we’re talking about the current King of Asgard Thor, then Thor rapes Superman repeatedly with ease.

THOR!

This man knows his Thor. You’re going on my friend’s list.

[quote]Amiright wrote:
hulk[/quote]

Hulk is a bad ass, but he’s not gonna stomp Thor. Whenever Thor faces Hulk, he’s trying to calm him down or distract him until someone else can find a surefire way of turning him back into Bruce Banner. Thor is one of the few beings who holds their strength back and takes on Savage Hulk when he’s trying to kill you.

If they fought and didn’t hold anything back, I would give it to Thor. It would still be close.

Now SkyFather Thor (Current Thor) would bust his ass.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Amiright wrote:
hulk

Hulk is a bad ass, but he’s not gonna stomp Thor. Whenever Thor faces Hulk, he’s trying to calm him down or distract him until someone else can find a surefire way of turning him back into Bruce Banner. Thor is one of the few beings who holds their strength back and takes on Savage Hulk when he’s trying to kill you.

If they fought and didn’t hold anything back, I would give it to Thor. It would still be close.

Now SkyFather Thor (Current Thor) would bust his ass.[/quote]

When Hulk and thor fought… everyone thought thor was killed, he barely survived(he wasn’t holding back at that point, he was dying)… and Hulk used his hammer, just took him a second to pick it up :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: although this was the movie

[quote]Amiright wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Amiright wrote:
hulk

Now SkyFather Thor (Current Thor) would bust his ass.

When Hulk and thor fought… everyone thought thor was killed, he barely survived(he wasn’t holding back at that point, he was dying)… and Hulk used his hammer, just took him a second to pick it up :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: although this was the movie
[/quote]

Thor wasn’t trying to kill Hulk, he was trying to calm him down. And once Loki lost control of the Hulk, Hulk was at his most powerful = Savage Hulk. This is the Hulk when he’s pissed off and has no intentions of running away, he is gonna kill, smash, and destroy anything in his path.

If it came down to a situation where the Hulk has to stop no matter what, Thor would let loose and eventually kill Hulk. Now Thor would be hurt like a mother fucker, but he would win.

The same Hulk who more or less single-handedly ripped the whole Marvel Universe a new asshole? The same Hulk that beat the Sentry out of the Sentry the same day he took on the Fantastic Four, She-Hulk and friends, the X-men and Dr.Strange (in Demon form too). The one that calmly beat the shit out of the Silver Surfer?

With that last Hulk story arc (WW Hulk), Marvel essentially made Hulk an unstoppable force. Stan Lee once said, referring to the Superman vs. Hulk comics, that given an all-out uninterrupted battle, the Hulk beats any Marvel opponent due to the fact he becomes angrier as a fight continues (and correspondingly more powerful).
I think he’d stand a chance against current Thor.

Speaking of the Sentry… Thor vs Sentry?

[quote]rundymc wrote:
The same Hulk who more or less single-handedly ripped the whole Marvel Universe a new asshole? The same Hulk that beat the Sentry out of the Sentry the same day he took on the Fantastic Four, She-Hulk and friends, the X-men and Dr.Strange (in Demon form too). The one that calmly beat the shit out of the Silver Surfer?

With that last Hulk story arc (WW Hulk), Marvel essentially made Hulk an unstoppable force. Stan Lee once said, referring to the Superman vs. Hulk comics, that given an all-out uninterrupted battle, the Hulk beats any Marvel opponent due to the fact he becomes angrier as a fight continues (and correspondingly more powerful).
I think he’d stand a chance against current Thor.

Speaking of the Sentry… Thor vs Sentry?[/quote]

I’m basing my opinions on the normal Thor and Hulk, which is 70’s to late 90’s.

Now if we’re talking about World Breaker Hulk and Sky Father Thor, then I still give it to Thor. The whole time that WWH stuff was happening, Thor was in Asgard. The current Thor is obscenely powerful. And not just by physical strength, but by energy blasts, re-arranging matter, mystical powers, etc.

World Breaker Hulk is still bad ass though. I loved watching him beat Wolverine so bad that he gave him brain damage that lasted days. I don’t remember the Surfer battle, but Surfer was probably an idiot and tried to be peaceful.

And Sentry gets his manic depressive ass kicked.

Yeah, if it’s ‘normal’ Hulk and Thor I agree with you there.
The Surfer battle was part of Planet Hulk, Surfer was a slave forced to fight as a gladiator via those collars.

I’d also say Thor via Sentry being a bitch. If he was all there in the head I’m not so sure, he does have a pretty impressive list of known powers, pretty much surpassing Superman’s.

THOR!

Daaaamn…that was a lot of knowledge.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
The Surfer battle was part of Planet Hulk, Surfer was a slave forced to fight as a gladiator via those collars.

I’d also say Thor via Sentry being a bitch. If he was all there in the head I’m not so sure, he does have a pretty impressive list of known powers, pretty much surpassing Superman’s.[/quote]

How the fuck did they enslave Surfer?! He was a herald for Galactus…he wields the power Cosmic…Surfer is a fucking idiot! One of the most powerful beings in the world and he has the heart of a little girl.

Superman is weak to magic thors power comes from magic. Meaning who ever is the better fighter will win. Meaning supes would lose.

Only mjolnir is magical in nature not Thor himself. Superman is much faster and much stronger than thor he is also more resistant to damage. We’ve seen superman against much more potent magical forces and he comes out on top. Plus his powers are changing all the time, newer versions have him more resistant to magic.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
rundymc wrote:

I’d also say Thor via Sentry being a bitch. If he was all there in the head I’m not so sure, he does have a pretty impressive list of known powers, pretty much surpassing Superman’s.

How the fuck did they enslave Surfer?! He was a herald for Galactus…he wields the power Cosmic…Surfer is a fucking idiot! One of the most powerful beings in the world and he has the heart of a little girl.[/quote]

They were able to enslave Surfer because the vortex set up to draw heroes to that world temporarily robbed them of some of their power.

Fuck Superman.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
force of one wrote:
THOR!

This man knows his Thor. You’re going on my friend’s list.[/quote]

COOL!lol Ill put you on mine too. Actually I think you might be the first.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
force of one wrote:
THOR!

Daaaamn…that was a lot of knowledge.
[/quote]

haha thanks I have been collecting Marvel comics for about 25 years. I don’t by them to collect or sell. I just buy them to read.

After Captain America was killed I quit buying new comics altogether. Now I only buy old back issues.